[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 322x500, jock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18422798 No.18422798 [Reply] [Original]

Both books are from the same period and cover the same topics yet candide receives so much more attention than jacques the fatalist in schools despite being less interesting and more shallow. Is this simply due to Voltaire's name carrying more cultural weight than Diderot's? Or am I missing something?

>> No.18422945

haven't read it, is it funny? i read Rasselas, that was like Candide without the humor

>> No.18423065

In the same picaresque way as candide and Rasselas i think, yes. There are plenty of innuendoes like Candide and the structure is also funny at times

>> No.18424466

>>18422798
The Candide is all about making fun of Leibniz's optimism. How is that related to fatalism? The Candide is famous for a different reason.

>> No.18424487
File: 7 KB, 250x200, 1621263822867s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Voltaire was a true man of action, a knight of the Holy Ghost. He plunged fiercely into the human arena, and fought through a laborious life, against obscurantism, stupidity and tyranny. He had a clear-cut, aristocratic mind. He hated mystical balderdash, clumsy barbarity, and stupid hypocrisy. Candide is not only a complete refutation of optimism; it is a book full of that mischievous humor, which has the power, more than anything else, of reconciling us to the business of enduring life.