[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 80 KB, 1024x768, meme_cyberpunk_pepe_clownworld_1620146180110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18358050 No.18358050 [Reply] [Original]

How do you write something intended for the general public without giving in to the temptation to redpill them?

I don't believe in didactic writing, but I'm just overcome with horror for daily life. I don't think I can describe it without condemning it. Vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, onions, microplastics, smart device dystopia, the hysterical socio-political atmosphere, the bottomless pit of mental illness that is the internet: it's all pure poison. It was all pure poison in 2019 and things have not improved since then, to say the least.

But I'm not under the illusion that anyone wants to read about this stuff. Not even I do. That setting aside the fact that the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. The young rebels are all in favour of this stuff, as they have been since the '60s. I'm in a position where the only thing I can write is unpalatable to others, and which will be a legal liability to me in the future when a new round of punishments and cancellations comes around.

My head is full of fuck, please advise.

>> No.18358054

>>18358050
You’re thinking about appealing to normies and that’s your first fist mistake

>> No.18358075

Try reading:
Mark Fisher - Capitalist Realism

>> No.18358085

>>18358050
What's your problem with onions?

>> No.18358088

>>18358050
>the horror of daily life
Become able to see the nice things as well. They are few, and surely less than the bad ones, but they exist. If you can see both, you'll write something worthy of being read.

>> No.18358089

>>18358054
Your head is full of garbage and you will write what you know. Stop worrying so much OP.

>> No.18358453

>>18358085
It's a wordfilter for s.o.y.

>> No.18358475

just write it, this “unpalatable” shit is just making an excuse for yourself to not do anything.

>> No.18358484

>>18358054
Write for the living. This world and its inhabitants are already dead.

>> No.18358709

>>18358050
What’s bad about the world again? Just live your own life bro

>> No.18358761

>>18358050
What's wrong with onions? Onions are an essential vegetable for any meal, as far as vegetables go, they're one of the best.

>> No.18358773

>>18358050
Describe everything neutrally, but accurately, as if you were an anthropologist. You can either juxtapose the rationalizations of our behavior with their underlying reality, or simply describe their underlying reality without wasting time with the rationalizations. I don't know which works better as literature, but you should try both and see which you enjoy.
Most importantly, never openly condemn what you write about. You want to create a work that, by virtue of its impeccable neutrality, cannot be dismissed on purely political grounds. Political grandstanding will prevent you from achieving this goal.

>> No.18358899

>>18358050
One of the biggest flaws in "redpilling" people is the lack of positive alternatives for them to turn towards. No matter how well you do so, if all you're doing is forcing unto people the realization that things are horrible, they will virtually always do one of two things: either they will ignore you (and likely this is what they were doing beforehand anyways - people aren't as stupid as you might think, and many are already at odds with the realization that things are horrible, and choosing to try to pretend they aren't aware), or they will fall into despair. This is why it's such a bad thing that serious practice of religion is becoming less and less widespread among people as time goes on, as it functions as a kind of moral anchor for people to help keep them grounded in the possibility of something good, valuble, and righteous to turn away from the horrors of the world towards.
Of course, these times are unprecedented. People as a whole are very similar to how people were throughout history, sure, but the access to information and communication changes the situation so much that no meaningful connections can be made. So it's hard to say what exactly is necessary to serve as a new moral anchor. Personally, I think the best that one can do is to consume as little news as possible, live a healthy lifestyle (you're right about the HFCS - it's garbage), have a strong set of morals that you live by unwaveringly, and play some sort of a leader role in your community. Your influence will likely be insignificant, but it's not worth beating yourself up over, since there isn't much else you can do.