[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 94 KB, 291x273, 27DA7AA7-6840-4FB2-A939-2AEFFF7E54E2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18271702 No.18271702 [Reply] [Original]

>It's queer; very queer; and he's queer too; aye, take him fore and aft, he's about the queerest old man Stubb ever sailed with. How he flashed at me!--his eyes like powder-pans! is he mad? Anyway there's something on his mind, as sure as there must be something on a deck when it cracks. He aint in his bed now, either, more than three hours out of the twenty-four; and he don't sleep then. Didn't that Dough-Boy, the steward, tell me that of a morning he always finds the old man's hammock clothes all rumpled and tumbled, and the sheets down at the foot, and the coverlid almost tied into knots, and the pillow a sort of frightful hot, as though a baked brick had been on it? A hot old man! I guess he's got what some folks ashore call a conscience; it's a kind of Tic-Dolly-row they say--worse nor a toothache. Well, well; I don't know what it is, but the Lord keep me from catching it.

>> No.18271878

Some pieces of prose from this are so penetrating (pun intended) they took tears. Absolutely breathtaking

>> No.18272367

>>18271878
stop pretending melville is making sex puns you coom brain faggots.
it is so cringe

>> No.18273528

>>18272367
The pun was on the title of the book, and you're a joke yourself.