[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 280 KB, 1650x1238, 342321424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18270650 No.18270650 [Reply] [Original]

Ovid comes to mind. Who else does /lit/ neglect?

>> No.18270652

What the fuck did he do to piss off Augustus so much that even Tiberius refused to pardon him?

>> No.18270690
File: 294 KB, 378x600, 46B6A195-49F2-47C1-9037-0DD750663B3E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The guy who wrote this

>> No.18270699

if this guy is so good then why was my local used bookstore filled with literally 10 copies of each of his works? why is no one buying his shit if hes so good?

>> No.18270707

>>18270652
Scholars have agreed that the best we can do is speculate. Ovid himself said that it was due to his licentious poems, e.g. how to pick up married women, how to leave her cuck husband clueless, which went against the strict morality that Augustus was trying to enforce. Some historians believe that Ovid himself saw Augustus do some degen shit, like participating in homo origies, fucking his own daughters etc. As I side note, I have some notes on his life/work I can post if anyone is interested.

>> No.18270724

>>18270707
Ovid said it was because of a poem and an error. The poem was obviously Ars Amatoria, it's the error that is an absolute mystery.

>> No.18270732

>>18270699
He had a profound influence on writers such as Dante, Boccacio, Shakespeare, Chaucer and Milton. Milton was particularly fond of him, you can find his influence everywhere in Paradise Lost.

>> No.18270747

>>18270724
>>18270732
Peter Green claims Ovid was caught up in an anti-Augustus conspiracy. All the stuff about poetry is just a cover, Ovid very likely was colluding with people wanting to assassinate Caesar.

I doubt it's very likely Ovid got sent away over "degeneracy" - if that were the case, these works would have been destroyed by Augustus. As far as we were aware, he was persona-non-grata up until his death and (obviously) he eventually became popular again.

>> No.18271827

>>18270747
wouldn't conspiring an assassination be an even worse offense that would be punished by death?

>> No.18271875

>>18270699
>hurr durr popular = good
i know this is bait but goddamn you faggot

>> No.18271886

>>18270707
>As I side note, I have some notes on his life/work I can post if anyone is interested.
Sure, I’m interested

>> No.18271948

>>18270650
Sadin, Sztulwark, Perlongher, Parika, Virno; no contemporary is ever discussed except for random fuckers shilling their work here, or Sally Rooney the past year

>> No.18272028

Hermann Broch, one of the greatest writers of the 20th century along with Musil and Kafka and yet /lit/ never discusses his works and has probably never even read The Sleepwalkers.

>> No.18272038

>>18272028
The Death of Virgil is the only thing I've read, and its brilliant.

>> No.18272087

>>18271886
Background
>The generation of Roman poets before him had a large influence on him
>Catullus, being the best, Tibullus in 2nd, Propertius in 3rd
>All three brought the form of elegy into Latin poetry and refined it. All three took the Hellenistic poets like Callimachus as their model.
>Virgil would be used as the model for the epic.

Short bio
>Born in 43 BC, wealthy family
>Father made sure to get him the best education possible so Ovid could become an outstanding lawyer/politician
>As a student, he fell in love with poetry and decided to go against his father's wishes.
>Hung out with the aforementioned poets as a very young man and studied under their tutelage
>Self harsh critic, would throw his early poetic compositions into the fire, knowing they were too bad for posterity

Heroides
>1st poetic debut
>they present the amorous adventures from Greek literature, focusing on the perspective of women (Medea, Penelope, Helen etc) in epistolary format, i.e. letters
>marred by its overuse of erudition, more akin to schoolboy exercises in declamations

Amores
>2nd published work, perhaps his best
>3 out of the 5 books have come down to us
>Spontaneous, sincere, lively, heartfelt
>Material taken from his own life rather than from myth
>Corrected his abuse of erudition from his previous work

Ars amatoria
>3rd work
>personal material like the Amores
>Directed to the young; not delicate in subject matter
>How to pick up chicks for the boys; how to get pretty so guys hit on you for the roasties
>Inferior to his Amores (falls back into the trap of being long winded, over erudite). Despite this, another masterful example of his wit.

Metamorphoses
>His most ambitious work, captures all of history from the antediluvian period up to his own age, presents a variety of philosophical schools, presents esoteric knowledge of religion and ceremonies like Virgil
>once again, his imagination and erudition makes this work unnatural but of course his wit and grace smoothed over these defects.

Fasti
>A priestly work that is perhaps his most interesting in terms of ancient scholarship (ancient religion, rites, history, customs, tradition)
>Finally he is able to combine erudition with agreeableness. Rich in images and imagination.
>Fused the severity of Rome with the lighthearted nature of Greek fiction.

Tristia
>Final work before death
>Not his best: heavily monotone (always sad) and the abuse of erudition and being long winded returns. His wit disappears.
>More artful than natural

Closing
>Wrote erotic, didactical, epic poetry. Also wrote tragedies (lost to us)
>One of the few poets who wasn't a one trick pony
>often too concerned with form than depth
>Far too witty and erudite for his own good. In other words, decadent.
>Abused description instead of being simple like the Greek poets

>> No.18272092

>>18271948
this. it seems insane that people are willing to read the Greeks and Modernists on an endless loop but not open themselves up to the new potentially genius works (ie: shifting through shit, but still)