[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 538 KB, 2560x1920, something.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18243008 No.18243008 [Reply] [Original]

Have any books helped you with your depression? Has any single book got you out of a rut? I have trouble feeling any emotion at all, or any connection to any work. I haven't cried in a year and have incredible anhedonia. At the same time though, books contain incredibly valuable knowledge, so I'm wondering if one might be able to help me. Thank you anons

>> No.18243034

>>18243008
"The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle" helped me.

>> No.18243148

>>18243008
I commonly feel disgust for my fellow man, maybe you just need to open your eyes to the dark fire arround you?

>> No.18243150

"ACT workbook for depression and shame" is the one I found most helpful. If you are going to turn to books skip the self held shit and just go straight to basically self guided clinical therapy like this one. You can read books on CBT as well but I think ACT is a bit better of a technique for getting you on your feet.

That said don't expect books or therapy to save you, they're more like a supplement. The first and foremost thing you should do is rule out all physical/health causes. This is behind a large number of depression cases, moreso than you'd be typically led to believe. So on top of proper food, sleep, exercise, see a doctor and get some bloodwork done. Thyroid, pituitary, even liver issues can effect your mood and behavior substantially. Check if you have low T.

Oh and stay the fuck away from antidepressants. Or at the very least do a lot of homework. They're dogshit drugs though

>> No.18243231

>>18243034
It looks a bit new age, but I'll check it out regardless, thank you. Knowing it helped you is enough of an endorsement.

>>18243148
In general I like people a lot, although I tend to be way too desperate for human contact. I often wish for close friends but I don't think other people like me. I'm afraid of getting close to others and revealing myself due to that, although I can say right now that if I felt genuinely cared for by a couple friends my depression could vanish.

>>18243150
>Oh and stay the fuck away from antidepressants
This is something I've learned through experience. I've had some pretty severe depression and existential dread since elementary school, so I was put on Zoloft for a few years. Messed up my ability to feel emotion. I thought I had it bad when I got off them, but my capacity for emotion has only decreased since. I started up Wellbutrin half a year ago because I've heard it's considered decent and helps with apathy and anhedonia, but it's only helped a tiny bit.
>he first and foremost thing you should do is rule out all physical/health causes. This is behind a large number of depression cases, moreso than you'd be typically led to believe. So on top of proper food, sleep, exercise,
I have trouble caring for myself emotionally, so I do a shit job of caring for myself physically. Sometimes I intentionally "punish" myself by eating and sleeping as poorly as possible, because I don't deserve to feel good, or something. Definitely something I need to figure out.
>get some bloodwork done. Thyroid, pituitary, even liver issues can effect your mood and behavior substantially. Check if you have low T.
I've had bloodwork done, I'm actually doing pretty well. Only thing was low vitamin D, which I've since supplemented.
>"ACT workbook for depression and shame"
Thank you for the suggestion, and your rationale (as well as your advice). I'll check it out.

>> No.18243685

Carlo Michelstaedter’s book got me the closest to just letting go and feeling a sense of liberation. I wouldn’t say I’m cured of my depression. In fact, if I wasn’t depressed, the book would almost mean nothing to me. But the anxiety that used to tear it’s way through my gut and my chest is gone. Some people say it’s a dangerous book and I agree completely. I’m hesitant to even mention it right now.

>> No.18243876

>>18243008
they have distracted me from it until I was ready to deal with it.

>> No.18243902

the holy bible

>> No.18243904

Take a b12 supplement.

>> No.18243912

>>18243008
Marcus Aurelius - "Meditations"
It's not a work of stoicism, it's not a philosophy book, it's not a manual, it's what the title states, they're a collection of personal meditations. Read them once, then again, and try to see what you take from each section, each phrase and sentence. He may have been an emperor, he may have been a drug addict, but he was a man, just like you and me.

>> No.18243930

>>18243904
THIS

>> No.18243936

>>18243008
That Vice City pic is perfect.

>> No.18244086

>>18243685
I'm not very smart, and I also have a pretty fragile state of mind, so I feel like this wouldn't work out for me for one of those reasons. At the same time though, I've been interested in reading it, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

>>18243876
How'd you deal with it?

>>18243902
I've read Genesis, it was a bit of a tough read. At some point I'm planning on reading Luke or Matthew. I have trouble reading texts like this. Probably because I have a shitty attention span.

>>18243904
>>18243930
I don't think I have a B12 deficiency, at least per my last bloodwork. I'll look more into it though, thanks.

>>18243912
It's on my reading list. I prefer works that are concrete and grounded, so things like that are hard for me to read and connect with. I usually just end up with appreciation, but nothing to take away. I'll check it out though, just in case.

>>18243936
Thanks! I modded the game to remove all NPCs. For some reason I enjoy the feeling of driving and walking around in this massive city without a single person around. It's very lonely and surreal. I enjoy it even though it isn't pleasant per se. Feels uncanny/nostalgic, like a liminal space or something.

>> No.18244237
File: 35 KB, 314x500, CotC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Because someone from here wrote it. Made me want to complete the rough draft I have.

>> No.18245009

bump

>> No.18245048
File: 106 KB, 277x300, asdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18243008

>> No.18245209

>>18245048
is this an ironic or unironic suggestion? I've never read Calvin & Hobbes

>> No.18245287

>>18245209
Unironic. Its a fun read.

>> No.18245412

>>18243008
Steppenwolf by Hesse was a major factor in pulling myself out of suicidal depression. The David Horrocks translation is the best one.

To deal with anhedonia I recommend recreational drugs and adrenaline junkie shit. It's easy to get so accustomed to your comfort zone that you can only see the problems that exist inside it. If nothing makes you feel good, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with you internally - you might have just not encountered any stimulus worth enjoying.

>> No.18245428

>>18245412
What is adrenaline junkie shit? Skydiving? I've tried weed but it hasn't done much besides make me feel a mellow sort of contentment. I really miss crying most, honestly. I've thought about getting hold of some shrooms, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
> If nothing makes you feel good, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with you internally - you might have just not encountered any stimulus worth enjoying.
The biggest thing I've noticed is that things I used to love, that would make me emotional, no longer do. I think that it means I'm not really enjoying any new stimulus as much as I could.
Thank you for the suggestions, and I'll check out Steppenwolf, especially knowing it helped you.

>> No.18245643

>>18244086
Regarding The Bible, I recommended you to start with the Gospels, especially Matthew and John.

>> No.18245866

>>18245643
Why Matthew instead of Mark or Luke?

>> No.18245881
File: 39 KB, 220x321, 123246.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.18245977

>>18243008
no, but try acid

>> No.18246007

>>18243008
>have trouble feeling any emotion at all
I'd be grateful if I were you fren. Some ppl can can have ten emotions in one minute with no discernible cause.

>> No.18246021

>>18243008
Power of now and lifting is the only thing that ever helped me.

>> No.18246050

>>18245866
I just remember more passages from Matthew and John.
But don't get me wrong all the Gospels are great and equally.

Regarding Luke. It has one of the greatest passage for me
Lk 23, 42-43.

>> No.18246208

>>18243231
I genuinely care for you anon, you sound like a decent dude but don’t punish yourself for feeling down it’s just going to make things worse for you.

>> No.18246781

>>18243008
how old are you OP? im 27 and deal with a pretty similar set of circumstances. Suicidal depression since age 12, put on meds early, no medication since age 18 so ive just kept pushing on. What you said about your perception of people is familiar to me too. Im not sure if any books really helped me directly reconsider or improve my depression, but many have helped me leave my body. Well written books are great medicine, Moby Dick is especially good. Most Doestoyevsky books, some Nabokov, CS Lewis’ ‘Cosmic Trilogy’. Good luck anon.

>> No.18247972

Bump, i have nothing to contribute but i feel the exact same as OP and have been taking notes of the reccs here.

>> No.18248165

Bookworm faggots. Just go outside. Go on a hike. You can't cure everything with books, even the things just in your head. Books are either to learn new information, escape a hellish existence or waste time.

>> No.18248240

>>18243231
>In general I like people a lot, although I tend to be way too desperate for human contact. I often wish for close friends but I don't think other people like me. I'm afraid of getting close to others and revealing myself due to that, although I can say right now that if I felt genuinely cared for by a couple friends my depression could vanish.
Have you felt abandoned by your parents in any way during your childhood? Neglected, ignored, or given only superficial attention and affection towards you?

>> No.18249745

>>18245977
Considering shrooms, but I haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

>>18246007
My favorite feeling in the world is right after a crying fit, actually. I love feeling emotion physically, there's this warmth to it. I often feel some form of "sad" but it feels capped off due to my inability to cry. I just end up feeling hollow.

>>18246021
Second recommendation for that book, so I definitely should check it out now. As far as lifting goes, I would want to have a proper routine but that involves going to a gym. I dislike my body intensely, so I've wanted to try bodyweight fitness or something before then. I just can't find the motivation.

>>18246208
I don't hear things like this ever in real life, so I appreciate it, thank you. It's difficult to get to a place where I love myself because it takes a lot of caring for myself to get there. Little bits of empathy help.

>>18246781
I'm 23. It's funny, I think we sound very similar but different in one way. I'm terrified of death, to the point that for as long as I can remember, thinking about my existence has sent me into a panic attack the moment it crosses my mind. I never want to commit suicide, and I feel like a regular lifespan still isn't enough for me.

>> No.18249788

>>18246781
Also, I haven't read most of the classics, and that's something I haven't considered. Thank you.

>>18248165
I don't really have the motivation to go outside, which is why I'm hoping to cure my depression from "within" so to speak. I haven't left my apartment in months.

>>18248240
My parents were never married, so I had two different childhoods. On my mom's side, I was definitely given lots of attention and cared for, but on my dad's, I definitely was neglected. My stepmom was abusive to me as well, and treated all of the other kids at my dad's house much better than me. That might be related.
Another big one is that, as a kid I never had friends. At one point in elementary school, though, I got really close with this one guy, and we ended up hanging out all the time. I remember going to his house every couple days, but we suddenly split apart in middle school. I never really knew until later, but as it turns out, my mom was friends with his mom, and she basically created our friendship artificially. He didn't actually like me very much, but his mom would always push him to hang out with me, and he was told all about the various mental shit I had going on. In middle school he started living with his dad, which was why we suddenly stopped being friends. When I learned that, it definitely fucked me up for a bit.

>> No.18250007
File: 80 KB, 1199x623, dfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18243008
unironically, infinite jest

had the most productive two months of my life on an emotional/introspective level and in terms of betterment of personal relationships while reading it, and it was definitely related to the book, wasn't merely correlated

>> No.18250052

>>18249788
Damn, I'm sorry you've had to experience that. I think I can relate somewhat. No connection to family, then sought that from friends who later turned out not to be very good friends. I've had better friends since then, but I can't seem to bond with anyone.
I wish I could tell you something helpful. I recently read a book about parenting that really hit me hard. It was tough realizing that I'm screwed up from childhood (needy, fear of rejection etc.), but maybe I can still do something about it.
I hope you find something that helps you.

>> No.18250383

>>18243008
“Depression” — as everything else — is a social construct. You only need to analyze dialectically the opposition of “depression” and “normal”, non-depressed state to understand that a very specific set of behaviors and views on the world is set as a reference point in the process of defining it. “Depression” is not living the life you “should” live, or not believing in the life you live, or not feeling the way you are supposed to feel according to the stereotypical image of an average “well” person (also not very encompassing).

When you see it, the problem becomes noticeable even in the least questionable uses. For example, a mother who lost her child was supposed to be distressed, albeit to a different degree and displaying it in different ways in different societies and cultures. Now she is depressed — and for a very valid reason. However, the previous idea considered her state as “natural” and OK, even though she could do things that are themselves not OK and “crazy”. Modern model declares that she is not OK (with all due respect to her circumstances) automatically, just from the effects of the trauma, and that it's a temporary deviation from the “norm”. This is not a suitable way to reason.

And it doesn't help that everyone's favorite country has built a giant economy of selling snake oil and narcotics on that.

>> No.18250389

>>18249788
Motivation is a meme, just turn off your brain and do it anyway

>> No.18250854

>>18250007
I'm kind of a dumbass, so I'm not sure if I can read something like that, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it anyways.

>>18250052
Thank you anon, I appreciate your words. I wish you luck as well. It really sucks that from the outside, I seem to be doing well (I have a couple friends, I'm a college graduate, I have a decent apartment, etc), but I'm absolutely unhappy with how my life is. I feel a bit ungrateful to the world for wanting more than what I've been given. I want to my friends to see me as their best friend, but the reality is that I'm just secondary to everyone in my life. I never get asked for advice or help, and I'm always the one who starts conversations with those around me. I just want someone to reach out to me, once in my life, so that I know they actually want to be close to me.

>>18250383
I'm not sure if I understand your argument completely, I'm sorry. I think what you're saying is that previously, we understood a person's state of being as tied to their experiences, and reasoned whether it was natural based on that. But now, we see deviations from the norm as "abnormal" without respect to the person's experiences (?). And the fact that individuals are treated for these abnormalities with medication is unhealthy.
My problem though is that my feelings of anhedonia and apathy aren't tied to my experiences (unless we consider childhood). I'm unhappy and unfeeling for seemingly no reason. And I'm basing this on how I previously used to feel, which was more happy and more "feeling". I'm probably completely misunderstanding your point though.

>>18250389
This sort of reminds me of the "just be happy" argument toward depressed people. In reality I probably just don't want to be motivated, because being motivated involves caring about myself, and I don't care about myself. So it's hard for me to turn off my brain and do something when I don't actually want to do it. Sometimes I tell myself what you've told me and it works, but not for long. I also have to do it constantly, even for small things like taking a shower or making a phone call.

>> No.18251013

>>18245209
It’s amazing

>> No.18251161

>>18250854
Depression is what we call depression. It's the conventional usage that makes us expect that this term means something with more or less defined borders. In fact, it is really defined through a failure to fit in, adapt, fulfill expectations (not because someone is a special snowflake, but because someone can't be a common snowflake). Then, obviously, we have to question these expectations.

Who said one should be happy all the time? Who said that a grown up should be as happy as a kid? Can we really call happiness a decent goal one should pursuit? Well, advertisements and media draw a picture of such perfect individual, but we all know it's just a lie. Unfortunately, these questions are not discussed just as widely, so you have to build the answers on your own.

>> No.18251498
File: 63 KB, 640x853, 1621078995795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18245881
This book made me feel bad desu because its my life.

>> No.18251695

>>18245428
I race cars and motorcycles and do extreme mountain biking but if you're creative there are an unlimited number of ways to scare yourself shitless. I got into these hobbies when I was suicidal because the idea of killing myself semi-accidentally doing something cool sounded a lot better than gulping a bottle of pills like some unloved housewife, but as I recovered, it became a really positive thing for me. Getting close to death makes you appreciate life in a way that I think even most "happy" people are blind to.

Also, mushrooms will probably help you cry if that's what you want.

As for not loving things that you used to love or not crying at your favorite scene during your fifteenth fucking rewatch of sword art online, it really is possible you just outgrew it. I get the appeal of fixing your internal problems before you go out and try to enjoy new stimulus, but in my experience that never actually works. You have to get out into a situation - literally any situation - that is far outside your comfort zone and try to keep afloat even though you have a monologue constantly running in your head about how much you don't enjoy what you're doing and how much you don't enjoy anything. If you can overcome that voice in your head for even a little while, you will be able to return to your introspection with a new perspective and a newfound confidence in your ability to solve problems.

It's not possible to do this if you perform a cost benefit analysis to try to estimate your likelihood of successfully enjoying the new thing - whether it's social interaction or drugs or whatever - because you are depressed and your estimation of your likelihood of enjoying anything is fundamentally skewed. You just have to trust in the process, maaaan.

Of course all that being said the only people who are actually content with themselves for any length of time are brainlets. I'm just trying to help bop you up to a higher tier of suffering, which doesn't involve you needing life advice from retards on an ethiopian culinary forum.

>> No.18251770

>>18251161
Not OP, but what you said resonated in some way with me. Like old gears turning again. As gay as that may sound. Thanks anon.

>> No.18251876

>>18251770
Maybe read Charles Taylor's The Malaise of Modernity (The Ethics of Autenticity), it's not exactly on topic, but it's something short that I've read recently, and think that it's relevant. There is no doubt that medicalization of depression is no different from any other medicalization, and that a lot of specific critique from various standpoints has already been written.

>> No.18251959

>>18251876
Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a look.

>> No.18251963

>>18243008
Just read magazine articles on wellbeing, that's what normies do and it works for them.

>> No.18252032

>>18251695
This comment has a lot of valuable advice. Thank you, I'll think a lot about what you've said. You were actually very on point about the monologue thing, I often end up depressing myself due to that. And you're right about how much I end up focusing on "will I enjoy this new thing?" For instance, I really love watching films, and so many movies are special to me in some way. I have a strong memory of the first time I watched 2001, and the absolute awe I felt when watching it. I remember rewatching it a year later, and feeling absolutely nothing. It was actually depressing. Since then, I've been afraid of watching any movies I think I'll enjoy, and only watch trash cinema that I'm okay with disliking. I'm afraid of ruining things that might otherwise be special, but at the same time I never really realized that I'm feeding into it more by acting this way. I do it with a lot of things in my life, honestly. I'll have to reflect on my behavior a lot more. Thanks again.

>> No.18252038

>>18251161
This is a really interesting perspective, and one I'll have to mull over. Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it.

>> No.18252130
File: 256 KB, 970x412, chronicle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18243008
I'm not very prone to depression.
Generally though, Haruki Murakami and Gabriel Garcia Marquez helped.

There's something about magical realism that helps get a different perspective. That and jazz music.

>> No.18252211

>>18243904
monster zeroes have 400% of all the b vitamins, i have >3 per day and i still feel god awful all the time...

>> No.18252329

>>18252211
Nice bait anon (if it isn't bait, please stop)

>>18252130
Haruki Murakami is very cozy. I'll have to check out Marquez as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

>> No.18252333

Camus's meme essay unironically helped me when I was in my late teen years

>> No.18252351

>>18252333
Myth of Sisyphus? I've thought about reading it, since as a teen I really enjoyed The Stranger. I just never got around to it and it never seemed as relevant to depression as it was suicide/religion. I'll check it out, thank you.

>> No.18252390
File: 64 KB, 1014x819, 1618158983810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18243008
that picture makes me feel sad. i just want to be a 10 years old again blowing shit up in a flying tank. fuck this shit

>> No.18252410

>>18252390
what's stopping you now anon? you can still download vice city on your phone and do it

>> No.18252426

>>18252410
it's not the same. nothing can make me a dumb 10 year old again

>> No.18252436

>>18252410
It's also on sale sometimes on Steam. I got it for like 2 bucks.
>>18252426
Honestly, weed's helped me regain that sort of "I'm dumb as shit and everything feels fresh" feeling that childhood has. It works well for nostalgia trips. It's true that nothing really matches up to actually being a child, though.

>> No.18252472

>>18245048
plagiarizing calvin and hobbes got me not only sent to the principal's office and yelled at by 3 different old hags, but also sent to a multiweek therapy program and pressured me to tears almost every session.

it wasn't the fact of plagiarism; they didn't know what calvin and hobbes was. it was for violence, lmao..

>> No.18252482

>>18252472
how old were you

>> No.18252497

>>18252482
9. at least my parents were on my side. my dad still gets mad about it sometimes, like against the school system and all

>> No.18252511

>>18252472
>>18252497
What the hell dude, what state/country are you from? I hope there's nowhere like that in the US. Also I didn't even know there was anything that could be considered violent in C&H. Do you remember what comic you plagiarized?

>> No.18252515

Threadly reminder that therapy and meditation are the most rigorously supported methodologies for dealing with mental health issues. Meditation helps you become aware of thoughts as experiential objects, and then therapy helps you analyze and modulate those thoughts on a level which supercedes anything a book could offer.

>> No.18252524

>>18252515
Opening up to a therapist is so hard though, honestly. I had one for a couple years but I was afraid of saying anything to her, and after a year you can't really... suddenly open up. At least that's what it felt like to me at the time. I ended up only talking about my classes and stuff like that. Maybe some therapists work better than others at getting you out of your shell. Meditation is something I've been interested in but have no remote idea of how to start.

>> No.18252532

>>18252511
kentucky, but specifically the most progressive/urban part (louisville), in a particularly progressive school.
and yeah it was one where he was drawing in class, he was drawing himself driving a tank and firing at the teacher but the shells bounced off her because she was too fat.

>> No.18252543

>>18252532
Oh jeez, out of all of the C&H comics to pick. I looked it up and I can see how that could be misinterpreted (although the way you were treated is completely unjustifiable).

>> No.18252565

No, not really.
Books tend to be just like any other activity for me, there is no enthusiasm to any of it.
I thought reading non-fiction would help me ground myself in the world and set up some goals.
With fiction there would always come that moment, after I had visualized the characters, the environments, gone through their emotions and trying to connect with them, the moment where I would snap out of it all and see the sorry state I am in.
It didn't bring me any joy, only brief respite.
What is the difference between me reading a book compared to playing some inane video game or watching a movie?
As far as I can tell, there is none.

>> No.18252589

>>18252565
That's rough, and I relate to your experience. Has anything worked for you? I'm curious if you've tried antidepressants/psychedelics/therapy/meditation.

>> No.18252599

>>18252543
I can actually remember being in kind of an "innocent" mood, thinking I'd even color it later; feeling kind of self aware and conscious that I was already too old to be drawing dumb shit like this, especially it being unoriginal. I guess I felt like I was being cute? not in a sarcastic way but in like a pure way, I was kind of indulging myself by consciously taking the place of calvin and drawing what he was drawing

>> No.18252604

>>18252524
>Opening up to a therapist is so hard though, honestly.
Trust me, I get it. I hope you will trust me when I say that what this avoidance of the difficult results in is much, much harder to live with over the long run. There's nothing wrong with it being difficult because it actually IS difficult. If therapy didn't work for you at a certain point in your life, that's just how it goes. That doesn't mean it won't be helpful the next time you try. At a certain point you just need to do the difficult thing. Incidentally, talking about your difficulty in opening up to a therapist is a very valid and healthy discussion to have with your therapist.

>> No.18252616

Join the army

>> No.18252626

>>18252589
I did LSD and shrooms, LSD just made me experience narcissistic fever dreams, like I was some grand figure traveling between time, I had to constantly call out my subconscious of it's own bullshit.
Shrooms just made everything feel and look like a painting, or like I was a walking film camera just recording my environment.
So, zero help there.
I've been in the mental healthcare system since 10, tried SSRIs and anti-psychotics to negligible effect, also tried therapy, I never could open up.
I don't know what to do, I want to drop out of university and just work construction jobs, I don't have any dreams or passions, I am just fucking tired.

>> No.18252681

>>18250854
can you elaborate on your experience with zoloft? I got prescribed it after seeing a psychologist who diagnosed be with anxiety and depression, but I'm hesitant to take them for the reason you mentioned. I'm also not sure if I really need it. I definitely have social anxiety but I've been questioning the nature of it along the lines of what >>18251161 said. If I had top tier social skills I don't know if I would be socially anxious. Medication seems sensible if the perceived threat of socializing is a false belief, but if it's real, what are meds going to help? Granted, anxiety hinders you from socializing properly, but my worry is that zoloft will be a treatment of a natural reaction to historically acting cringe around people.

>> No.18252720

>>18252681
Zoloft is emotionally blunting. If your depression is of the sort where you "feel too much", so to speak, it can work well. It's also great as a two-in-one for anxiety and depression. The problem with it is that the emotional blunting effects continue even after you stop taking it. It's one of the few medications I've seen that can permanently alter how you feel emotion (as well as your sex drive, in some cases). If you have anhedonia or apathy, I strongly, strongly suggest you avoid Zoloft. It'll allow you to feel content, but that's about it. If your depression is of the type where you don't feel much at all, Wellbutrin is much more successful as a treatment. In general, most people prefer Wellbutrin to Zoloft, but Wellbutrin can ramp up your anxiety a lot.

Honestly, it sounds like you'd do better with an anti-anxiety medication like Buspar. It's much milder, but it helps with social anxiety.

>> No.18252729

>>18252681
It's also worth noting that my own experience on Zoloft is not that of others.

This is a good site to get an idea of people's experiences with different medications:
https://www.drugs.com/condition/depression.html?sort=reviews&order=desc

Wellbutrin is bupropion, Zoloft is sertraline. I'm taking Wellbutrin XL, which has a 7.4 on this site for comparison.

>> No.18252754

>>18252524
It's a bit of a meme but you should get headspace and use the free trial, it's a good starting point. It's guided meditation, very easy to get into as you're told what to do. Once you understand the basics you can ditch guided meditation and also look at other types, there's a lot of different methods with different purposes, Mindfulness and Transcendental meditation are just the biggest ones in the west. I know some people that shit on mindfulness because they're eastern purists, as well as some people that don't want to try meditation because they put it off as spiritual mumbo jumbo, but really it is nothing but the cultivation of the skill of being in control of your thoughts.

>> No.18252764

>>18245977
Acid works, but I have to retake it about every 5 years for it to keep working

>> No.18252775

>>18243008
I'm not gonna read the whole thread but check these out:
The 5 major pieces to the life puzzle by Jim Rohn
How to be Miserable (I forget the author)

And if you have experienced a lot of life and are Intj/Intp check out
Angel Tech Antero Alli

>> No.18252777

>>18252626
>I've been in the mental healthcare system since 10, tried SSRIs and anti-psychotics to negligible effect, also tried therapy, I never could open up.
>I don't know what to do, I want to drop out of university
I can strongly relate to everything here. I haven't tried psychedelics yet, but it's sad to hear they didn't work for you. I wish I wasn't in the same boat so that I knew how to help you, but I genuinely wish you the best. If you want/need to talk about anything, let me know.

>> No.18252885

>>18252720
thank you for the informatoin

>> No.18253816

bumping, in the same boat as OP

>> No.18254919

>>18252754
Thank you for the suggestion, I've heard of it before but wasn't exactly sure if it would work or just be... y'know. I'll try it out.
>>18252764
Why acid instead of shrooms, out of curiosity?
>>18252775
These are interesting suggestions. I am an INTP/J (somehow halfway between the two, although I don't believe in it too much). I'll check them out, thanks.

>> No.18254965

>>18243008
Books helped me gain a new perspective or think a new thought. But the only one who can get you out of depression is yourself, talk to someone other than fictional characters in novels or your friends on 4chan

>> No.18255024

Man and His Symbols plus The book of Pook unironically .

>> No.18255188

>>18252775
Actually nevermind, I retook the MBPT test and I'm strongly INFP now. The last time I took it was half a decade ago, so I suppose it would make sense that I've changed.

>>18254965
It's hard to open up to my friends in real life. My entire self worth is based around my mattering to others, and I don't want to ruin my (few) friendships by making things awkward or inconveniencing them. Usually I try to be as agreeable as physically possible, although I recognize that it makes me come off as incredibly boring. I feel like I need to get more friends before I'd be comfortable doing that. I'm considering a therapist though, so that's a start.

>>18255024
Man and His Symbols is a pretty strange one to mention, but that makes me curious now. As far as your other recc, I'm not really a fan of the whole PUA scene. Still, I'll try out a bit of it just in case. Thanks.

>> No.18255260

>>18249745
Dude just start lifting. Gigatons of ressources online. If you need a routine check out buff dudes for example. Or Calimove for calisthenics. Dont be scared of the apprentice phase, everyone goes through after a week or two you will start to feel confident with the moves your are practicing. Skys the limit from there. Just start, you wont regret it. Its the best.

>> No.18255352

>>18243685
why is it dangerous

>> No.18255481

>>18250854
>18250007
you'll be fine, it's [IJ] not as hard as people drum it up to be, especially if you have a kindle

there are endless layers of complexity, reference and inter-reference, so you shouldn't feel like a dumdum while reading it cause nobody catches it all
i believe essentially anyone can get something out of it

don't get discouraged by the first two or three chapters lul

as for the depression, in my life it doesn't seem to follow a pattern. there are things that coincide when i'm doing well, but it's very hard to tell if it's the lack of depression that allows me to do those things or if those things alleviate my depression. i'm sure it's a mixture of both, but it ends up feeling random and like i have no control over it.. enjoy the good times while they last i guess

>> No.18255511
File: 267 KB, 1242x1146, 1554604249490.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a slightly ironic question but is there any book/resource that can help you live your life without questioning and analyzing everything?
I can never make a decision or have a thought without automatically thinking about how other people would perceive that decision, or I imagine a result that puts me in a "losing" position and I end up doing nothing.
It's hard to put into words but I'm sick of thinking about everything and feeling like I need to have an explanation for every thought or action I produce.

>> No.18255711
File: 136 KB, 1080x1239, E0623AF8-0DFB-497D-8C0A-ED99BA49D6AA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18255511
I get this anon. I’ve kinda termed it “the priority problem.” What’s most important? What order do I do things? Is this really the most efficient route? It paralyzes me all the time

>> No.18255933

>>18255511
>>18255711
Analysis paralysis?
Definitely something I've struggled with.

>> No.18256411

No particular book but whenever I get really dug into philosophy my mood seems to improve.
Not because of things that I'm being told in the texts specifically but its the fact I'm using my brain for something I feel i enjoy but is also "productive".
I don't know, it feels like I use the problem solving part of my brain whilst simultaneously scratching the philosophical itch within me when I read some good Plato or Aristotle.

>> No.18257521

>>18256411
I did have a good time reading Euthyphro. Thanks for the advice.

>> No.18257539

>>18255711
>numb chucks
I hate this

>> No.18257569

>>18255352
It’s radically pessimistic and difficult to understand

>> No.18258899

>>18256411
>but its the fact I'm using my brain for something I feel i enjoy but is also "productive".

I'm starting to become more convinced that you just have to keep your brain occupied so it can't start thinking. If I'm left alone to think I start going down a dark path, but if I'm busy or distracted I don't. I don't know which one is reality though.