[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 640x480, 1620001182061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18219230 No.18219230 [Reply] [Original]

Where to start with epistemology?

>> No.18219340

>>18219230
Plato.

>> No.18219342
File: 227 KB, 1587x2525, Induction Is All We Got - Magnus Vinding.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://magnusvinding.com/2017/09/03/induction-is-all-we-got/

>> No.18219343
File: 44 KB, 344x499, Rationality.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.readthesequences.com/

>> No.18219460

>>18219230
The very first thing I learned was Heraclitus's issue with the world as eternally fluctuating.

Plato's argument for innate knowledge. I think its in the Meno. Tldr, with math we can discover things without learning anything new. Therefore we arent actually learning we are recalling. Therefore we must be recalling from a past self. Therefore the soul is immortal and life is a cycle of dying, forgetting, living, remembering, and then dying.

Then maybe if youre into religion you can try the scholastics. Anselm (ontological proof), Augustine (specifically his stuff on math), and Aquinas (obviously). There, if you want to transition to secular stuff you can read William of Oakham, and he will be your bridge to Hume.

Now, this is of course hardly required list, and im not exactly qualified... either way, that is how I got started. I hope something I've written will give you a lead.

>> No.18219475

Why does Plato posit a realm of immaterial forms, why not just say there nothing these colours have in common. Sorry I retard

>> No.18219505

you're mothers cunt

>> No.18219523

>>18219230
Critique of pure reason if you can hack it.
Forget about epistemology if you can't

>> No.18219560

>>18219230
The Meno Dialogue and the Learner's Paradox

>> No.18219585

>>18219230
have you first mastered Metaphysics and logc? (in that order?)

>> No.18220073

4 places to begin, all manageable
-plato’s meno+theaetetus: Start here if you are into the idea of beginning at the beginning. They can be a little difficult if you are lazy, especially the geometry section of meno and the funkier metaphysics in theaetetus, but they are in dialogue form, and they take you from the beginning of the conversation to a high level.
-the first book of outlines of pyrrhonism by sextus empiricus: this book comes near the tail end on ancient philosophy, and so deals with most of those ancient theories. The purpose of the book is basically to inspire doubt, which is why epistemology exists at all. This is where you get the arguments for doubting the senses or reason that are sometimes just assumed in later philosophy. Pay careful attention to “the modes” especially the five modes, because these are later shortened into the epistemological blackpill that is agrippa’s trilemma. And yes, only the first book. You can read the rest of you’d like, but the difficulty spikes in the second book when he presents arguments against logic and proof. Read this if you want the problems people are trying to solve. (Though keep in mind that it is a cure itself.)
-descartes’ meditations: this book is treated as a second beginning in philosophy, especially beginner philosophy, because it deals with foundational problems in a friendly manner. He guides you along his thought gently. You’ll get the problems, and some proposed answers. Some people like to dunk on Descartes, but he’s required reading for a reason.
-Gregory bateson’s form, substance, and difference: an essay I’m recommending because I like it, though it isn’t exactly canon(yet). It is also kind to the reader, though he does name drop a few times. Read this if you are looking for something more current. It’s epistemology using a little bit of neuroscience, information theory, cybernetics, ecology, and psychedelics. This and sextus empiricus make for better party conversation if you’re young.
Another important paper to keep in mind is Gettier’s paper “is justified true belief knowledge?” This is 3 pages and massively influential, but best read once you know what the title is talking about. Have fun!

>> No.18220194

>>18219475
because the universe works through analogy

>> No.18220319

it starts and ends with radical skepticism

>> No.18221951

Which works of aristotle focuses on epistemology