[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 804x743, FROGGUY.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18182757 No.18182757 [Reply] [Original]

I wish for one year or so no one was able to publish anything. At all. That way we could all catch up on all of the good stuff that we've personally missed out on and/or has gone unnoticed.

There is just an incredible amount of supply for each and every category and sub-category of literature. Everything is a battle for your attention and it's getting harder and harder to choose with shelves upon shelves of possibly great books, comics, graphic novels, etc. being distributed out every single month of every single year. It's actually a bit overwhelming when you are curious about much of it and only have so much time to spend on awesome books.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

>> No.18182764

I mean, I'm not seriously going to read every sci-fi book on this one list I have. I just don't have the time to finish all of these epic series.

Same goes with philosophy and finishing all of the classics of great world literature.

Who the hell has the time?

And yet, there is still good stuff coming out all of the time.

>> No.18183104

But nobody fucking cares about new stuff, anon. Look at this board, it's teeming with threads about literal scrap books

>> No.18183473

>>18183104
Good point.

>> No.18184027
File: 121 KB, 1038x1030, 50e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like that since Goolag and other NPC net have exiled me to monastic hermit cyberspace I can simply read books fiction and nonfiction all my free time. I don't watch Netflix and have gotten good at filtering most Audible titles. I ignore 200 page business books and all the new bullcrap book stores rehash.
I read through my whole wishlist faster than I dreamed of. But the books people gave me as gifts remain unread. The books I need to study to do what I need to make a living remain slogged at half miserable pace.

>> No.18184053

The C*VID lockdowns were the best thing for my reading list.

>> No.18184062

There is at most one good novel being published each year these days. Let time do the work of sifting through the mountains of shit for you.
The rule of thumb I lean towards is just not reading novels by authors who are still alive with a few exceptions for writers who have proven their worth (McCarthy, Houellebecq)

>> No.18184080

>>18184027
>monastic hermit cyberspace
The rest of your post was uninteresting but this was breddy gud.

>> No.18184083

>>18184062
>McCarthy
>Houellebecq

Any others worth reading who are alive?
And what's good by Houellebecq?

>> No.18184106

>>18184083
Laszlo Krasznahorkai is pretty good but he’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. His writing style is not friendly