[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 750x500, letstalklit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18110639 No.18110639 [Reply] [Original]

Honestly, what made you GIVE up writing? Was it the uselessness of it all? The impracticality of spending hours away with your own thoughts that ultimately led nowhere? To no grand conclusions or great realizations or at least not to the creation of purely interesting stories? The fact that you will never be wealthy from writing because let's face it?

What was it?

>> No.18110652

I'm better at it than the average person, but I'm not "good"

>> No.18110670

I bought a house that needed serious repairs. All my free time went into that endeavor, but when I sold the house year later for a six-figure profit, all my free time from then on went into flipping houses.

I did managed to complete three books before that.

>> No.18110672

i truly don't think people are that interested in reading books like that anymore.

sure, articles on world news and what have you, mate. but a substantial book? war and peace and don quixote days are over. if you aren't writing young adult shit, then you aren't going to be read, basically, other than by a small group of niche followers. people, we have netflix now and hulu and uber eats. even when i'm looking for a good book, i'm looking not to waste my time, i'm looking for mostly non-fiction nowadays. i gotta be practical, friends.

>> No.18110674

>>18110639
I think it shows you have the wrong motivations. Some writers write for money. For me, you should write for yourself. Because you find an idea or a feeling that you want to express, deep in your heart. Maybe you haven't experienced enough or perhaps you have the wrong motivations. It is okay to enjoy books for what they are. Just because you're not an author does not mean you are a failure.

>> No.18110764

>>18110674
Nah.

Was going through some of the recent creative writing threads and also the threads discussing people's status as to how their writing was going. There was one anon a few weeks ago who said he actually quit writing because he wanted to spend time with other hobbies and things in life, things that he found more enjoyable or fulfilling. Made me think of making a thread such as this.

>> No.18110774

>>18110652
Who says you're not "good"? Yourself or others?

>>18110670
If you made enough to live in your dream home of desire and all was well, would you go back into writing?

>> No.18111379

I'm starting to think that my issue is that I don't know how to properly get into writing to begin with.

>> No.18111628

>>18111379
>have an idea (something interesting or funny for you, like a space knight fighting aliens or shit)
>open .txt file or get a notebook and pen
>write
Check the recommended books on /wg/, specially the ones one plot like The Weekend Novelist.

>> No.18112224

>>18110639
The audience I wanted to entertain rotted into hostile commie apes. Feels bad man. I was dumbed down in the storm that the nothing consumed.

>> No.18112256
File: 651 KB, 1536x2048, 1619250133300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18110639
>Write 258 page novel ready to publish at the age of 8 in Microsoft Word
>Find it derivative, formulaic and an embarrassment to be associated with
>parents saved a file on several USB sticks
>Deleted them all
>Didnt ever write any more fiction and never published any work
>Know my parents never read my book but emphatically emotionally insisted they did
>Couldn't name a single character or plot event or setting or mood or theme or anything
>Still they're upset I deleted a book just because 250 pages of huh got deleted
I feel more proud about my Fallout game saves desu.

>> No.18112276

If anyone wants to do something with your writing, I'm looking for contributors for my newspaper, it's small but mailed internationally. Email me: info@nobodysnews.com

>> No.18112316

gave up writing because i don't want an audience at all.

>> No.18112360

>>18112316
Gonna Roast you in 1700s German Ft Shiller and Beethoven
Lyrics in English for "Ode to Joy"
("Ode An Die Freude")
Beethoven's 9th Symphony

O friends, no more these sounds!
Let us sing more cheerful songs,
more full of joy!
Joy, bright spark of divinity,
Daughter of Elysium,
Fire-inspired we tread
Thy sanctuary.
Thy magic power re-unites
All that custom has divided,
All men become brothers
Under the sway of thy gentle wings.
Whoever has created
An abiding friendship,
Or has won
A true and loving wife,
All who can call at least one soul theirs,
Join in our song of praise;
But any who cannot must creep tearfully
Away from our circle.
All creatures drink of joy
At nature's breast.
Just and unjust
Alike taste of her gift;
She gave us kisses and the fruit of the vine,
A tried friend to the end.
Even the worm can feel contentment,
And the cherub stands before God!
Gladly, like the heavenly bodies
Which He set on their courses
Through the splendor of the firmament;
Thus, brothers, you should run your race,
As a hero going to conquest.
You millions, I embrace you.
This kiss is for all the world!
Brothers, above the starry canopy
There must dwell a loving Father.
Do you fall in worship, you millions?
World, do you know your creator?
Seek him in the heavens;
Above the stars must He dwell.

>> No.18112448

I think if &amp didn’t come around i would have completely given up. I was already hating myself for spending so many hours and years writing and never going anywhere.

>> No.18112547

>>18110639
sometimes I write stuff but it’s mostly just ideas that are loosely connected. I don’t think I’ll ever share it because I know it’s cringe but I like it anyway