[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 166 KB, 960x822, 1615649218321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18055206 No.18055206 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm going to learn lite-philosophy on my own, and this list is finished, but it may need improvement. I will not sacrifice all my life to philosophy, I want to be able to understand the basic hard stuff. So, I won't be buying 3 volumes (600 pages each) or a giant collected works book with 1000 pages. Also, I'm kinda too poor for that. I will keep it simple. But if I would ever get EXTREMELY interested in philosophy think of the money I wasted on small books. Take Plato: Collected Works as an example it got everything, and I will be having eight dialogues books, and if I buy the Collected Works which contains those eight dialogues imagine what a goddamn waste. I'm very insecure about that, I want to learn philosophy, but what if it becomes like that? Anyways.
Let's start.

>GRECO-ROMAN PHILOSOPHY
Mythology - Edith Hamilton
The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and Sophists
A Plato Reader: Eight Essential Dialogues
Aristotle: Selections
The Epicurus Reader: Selected Writings and Testimonia
>(Dialogues and Essays)
>(Discourses, Fragments, Handbook - Robin Hard)
>(Meditations: with selected correspondence)
>(I might skip Stoicism as philosophy, but not as a new approach to life, but then Stoicism, a must?!)

>MEDIEVAL PHILOSOPHY
Augustine: Confessions
Augustine: On the Free Choice of the Will, On Grace and Free Choice, and Other Writings
Aquinas: Selected Philosophical Writings
>(Now, I'm not a religious Christian, but I'm a cultural Christian, but not a catholic one. I'm protestant, so...just so you know)

>RENAISSANCE PHILOSOPHY
Descartes: Selected Philosophical Writings
Spinoza: Ethics: with The Treatise on the Emendation of the Intellect and Selected Letters
Leibniz: Philosophical Essays
Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
Berkeley: Philosophical Writings
Hume: The Essential Philosophical Works

>POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
>(Now this is a section, I'm really invested in, politics.)
The Essential Writings of Machiavelli
Discourses on Livy
Hobbes: Leviathan
Locke: Two Treatises of Government
Rousseau: The Basic Political Writings
Montesquieu: The Spirit of the Laws
Burke: Reflections on the Revolution in France
Maistre: Considerations on France
Stuart Mill: On Liberty, Utilitarianism and Other Essays

>GERMAN IDEALISM
Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics: and the Letter to Marcus Herz, February 1772
Critique of Pure Reason
Kant: Critique of Practical Reason
Kant: Political Writings
Fichte: Introductions to the Wissenschaftslehre and Other Writings (1797-1800)
The Schelling Reader
Hegel: The Philosophy of History
The Encyclopaedia Logic: Part I of the Encyclopaedia of the Philosophical Sciences with the Zustze
Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
Hegel: Elements of the Philosophy of Right
Outlines of the Philosophy of Right
>(How to start with Hegel is so confusing)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cont

>> No.18055217

>>18055206
>LEBENSPHILOSOPHIE
Schopenhauer: The World as Will and Representation: Volume 1
Schopenhauer: The World as Will and Representation: Volume 2
Schopenhauer: Parerga and Paralipomena : Volume 2: Short Philosophical Essays
>(yes only volume 2)
The Gay Science: With a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs
The Portable Nietzsche
Basic Writings of Nietzsche
The Essential Kierkegaard

And I end it here, after that I will move into the modern time, and reading Marxism, Liberalism, Fascism, continental philosophy and so on

>> No.18055250

Why are you doing this?

>> No.18055257

>>18055250
Why did you post this?

>> No.18055263

Nigga just read
This list making
Overthinking attitude made me hate life

>> No.18055287

If you want to take up serious reading dont treat your reading list like buffet of literary history to be sampled, pick one topic to master. Time is precious, reading Plato, then Augustine, then Deacartes, there's no momentum there, choices must build geometrically. A reading list of 10 classics is worse than one of 10 books about same classic. Doing latter will produce lasting gains, former won’t. Your reading knowledge and critical capacity must be trained and disciplined in a structured manner to build up that grey matter. Books arent checkboxes to be ticked on your erudition application, they are not so easy to exhaust, require many viewpoints to discern truly. I wouldn't expect to get a good handle on a book until studyin the author, the era, the genre, and the criticism. These perspectives interlock to create understanding, just read one thing in passing and it won't grow roots in your mind, you need to compost

>> No.18055296

>>18055206
Need to get Heraclitus into that list. A very important pre socratic whose epistemological claims have plauged and influenced literally everyone after him.

>> No.18055426

>>18055263
/thread

>> No.18055500

>>18055206
Interests include
>Being a non-religious christian (loves the aesthetic but can't quite delude himself into having faith)
>Strongly invested in politics, reading list includes the most basic of basic political theory texts
>Weightlifting
>Eventual goal is to read about capital f Fascism

Like pottery.

My serious advice would be to follow an undergrad curriculum which at the very least isn't a directionless hodgepodge of philosophy's greatest hits. That, or pick something you actually want to read and get a ton of secondary texts for it.

>> No.18056051

>>18055500
Follow a curriculum, good advice here. You can also use MOOCs from sites like coursera and learn philosophy for free whilst getting a background understanding. You need roots as all philosophy is contextual.

>> No.18056193

>>18055206
Edith Hamilton? What's wrong with you? Get a serious volume like Robert Graves' 'The Greek Myths' and supplement that with 'The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony' by Roberto Calasso.