[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 615x582, If nothing matters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18046808 No.18046808 [Reply] [Original]

Without a proper knowledge of epics, history, philosophy, politics, and theology, most of what we believe and understand are but half arguments.

Also without learning languages like Latin and Greek, most of the great untranslated literature is unknown to us.

What are we to do in the end?

Can one man ever be able to achieve somewhat of a vision of the truth of humanity? Or are we doomed to have faith that our models will work out in the end?

What is a man who is gone in the blink of an eye to do, anons?

>> No.18046830

>>18046808
It is all just the preparation of death. When death comes the greatest philosopher or a scientist is as clueless as you average brute. Death is the greatest equalizer. If you still want to make a bet just to be on the "safer side" then do it. If not, then it doesn't matter, You are just like everyone who go through this process with uncertainty.
So read and learn whatever the fuck you want.

>> No.18047246

>>18046808
To be fair
You have to have
A pretty big pepe folder
To understand THE GREEKS

>> No.18047269

>>18046830
What? Neither philosophers nor scientists are clueless about death. They just disagree between themselves, but it's not like they're "omg what is death, i have no idea".

>> No.18048575

>>18046808
Listen very closely anon. I want you to read Homer, Plato, and Tacitus to prepare for reading Vico. I promise you will no longer worry about all those things, but you will finally see
>a vision of the truth of humanity

Good luck.

>> No.18049128

>>18046808
>Also without learning languages like Latin and Greek, most of the great untranslated literature is unknown to us.

I like some of the points you've made in here, anon, but this one is really dumb. Am I to understand you think there is lots of great untranslated Latin and Greek literature out there? Because there isn't. In fact, I would venture to say that there is not one work of surviving Greek or Latin literature that isn't available in multiple translations.