[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 499x736, mobydick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1803191 No.1803191 [Reply] [Original]

Currently reading Moby-Dick. It's a whale of a book.

Can anyone fill me in on what some of these events are supposed to mean? I'm really enjoying this book, however I'm having trouble connecting chapters like Cetology or The Town-Ho's Story to any sort of central theme or idea. It's a bit difficult, but I believe that if I was involved in some big discussion on here it would make the read much more enjoyable. Hopefully we can get that.

Either way, I would love to talk about the book anyway. Please no spoilers; still about 500 pages into the book.

TL;DR: Moby-Dick General; Share experiences, first-reads, etc.

>> No.1803197

Ahab dies at the end. Moby Dick's death is left ambiguous. Ishmael survives to tell the tale.

The book is overrated.

>> No.1803203

Very long and boring.

>> No.1803214

Mid-way through the book is a lot of interminable talk about whales, which gets me jaded quickly.

>> No.1803218

I was riding on the mayflower
When I thought I spied some land
I yelled for captain ahab
I have yuh understand
Who came running to the deck
Said, boys, forget the whale
Look on over yonder
Cut the engines
Change the sail
Haul on the bowline
We sang that melody
Like all tough sailors do
When they are far away at sea

>> No.1803219

>>1803214
Chapters 30-120

>> No.1803453

anything that sounds like homo-erotic insinuations, definitely is. For example: "The entrance of the seamen" on page 60 (may be a different page in your version). Also, Queequeg and Ishmael do it.

but on a larger scale, anyone else find a melville influence in kafka's work? now that you're thinking about it, you see it right??

>> No.1803480

everyone dies except Ishmael and they don't kill the whale

it's fucking terrible