[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 423x436, dsfdsf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1802292 No.1802292 [Reply] [Original]

I know, another faggot topic by Sunhawk. Sorry about that. But there are a few things that bug me about this board, and I want to talk about them a bit. Hey.

1. Whenever someone posts asking whether 1984 or The Great Gatsby etc. are good, everybody here says that it's entry-level shit that everyone read in high school. No. Not everybody is American, and I read very few of the 'big' American novels during my time at British secondary school. I later chose to read 1984, TGG, Dorian Gray, and so on. Don't assume we're all Americans, or even that all American students are assigned the same things, I suppose.

2. There are other genres than sci-fi and fantasy. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with sci-fi and fantasy.

3. Stop hating on tripfags. This has been discussed back and force on many boards, and I think it's clear there's nothing wrong with being 'known' on a message board, when you're still pretty much anonymous anyway. Why complain about it? I don't think tripfags are 'ruining' /lit/, at least not many of them.

4. Stop hating on people for what they do or don't read.

>> No.1802296

can we still hate on d&e

>> No.1802297

The biggest and only problem with /lit/ is D&E.

>> No.1802300
File: 90 KB, 1125x681, 1288886002472.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and so on.

>> No.1802301

I suppose you can still hate on D&E, if you must. I haven't seen him post much the last few months anyway.

>> No.1802305

>>1802301

cool, thanks

>> No.1802310

>>1802305

Don't mention it.

>> No.1802316
File: 133 KB, 690x432, nogee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1802292
This thread is going very well, I think. Allow me to contribute.

>> No.1802328
File: 68 KB, 427x419, 1299851141916.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1802332

OP makes a valid point here. What's wrong is that people complain about everyone being too pretentious and people complain about everyone reading stuff that's too entry-level. Damned if you do damned if you don't seems to be the case.

>> No.1802341

Fuck that - /lit/ is full of degenerate homosexual fags, who post nothing but ereader related bullshit.

>> No.1802351

Well on the plus side to the whole entry level silliness, people are more willing to take recommendations such as Somerset Maugham. Which makes me very happy.

>> No.1802354

while your arguments are valid OP, you shouldn't expect so much. this is 4chan, asking for accepting behavior is like asking obama to remember what year it is

>> No.1802396

The issue with calling things "entry-level" isn't so much the disparaging way in which people treat them, but the response of fans of entry-level works to a perceived sleight.

If somebody calls something you like entry-level, don't get offended: ask them what a good next step is; if they can't give you a decent reply, then they're just trolls/shitposters and their opinions don't matter. If it weren't for entry-level books, nobody would go on to read better representatives of the genre.

>> No.1803065

>Not everybody is American, and I read very few of the 'big' American novels during my time at British secondary school. I later chose to read 1984, TGG, Dorian Gray, and so on
>1984, Dorian Gray
>American
>implying

>> No.1803116
File: 56 KB, 500x625, keep calm and read a book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ah okay.
>Whenever someone posts asking whether 1984 or The Great Gatsby etc. are good, everybody here says that it's entry-level shit that everyone read in high school.

there's a reason it's 'entry-level' because it's widely accepted as 'good'. The great gatsby consistently comes in the top 10 of 'top 100 books ever lists' and other variations. Entry-Level is just a buzzword used for something that's good enough to be read by a lot of people. Whether they're in high school or not.
It's not a competition to read the most obscure shit ever, Entry-Level is NOT an insult.

>here are other genres than sci-fi and fantasy
Yes there are but people are just as entitled to read them and stick to them as you are to reading that fucking canadian bird, reading lots of different genres and styles of writing is seen by many as a good thing, but if you love sci-fi/fantasy and want to stick with sci-fi and fantasy fucking go for it.

> Stop hating on tripfags
this is never going to happen, no point even asking people to.

>Stop hating on people for what they do or don't read
this is never going to happen, no point even asking people to.

everyone should just do what my pic says.