[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 235 KB, 1200x1600, the-worm-ouroboros-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17987334 No.17987334 [Reply] [Original]

I don't think I really "get" this world. At first it seemed like the people of Demonland are actually demons since they are described to have horns. Then Lord Gro is described and called a goblin being from Goblinland. But the King of Goblinland looks like a normal man and the people of Witchland pretty much seem to have nothing to do with witches, besides the fact that the new King uses magic and I guess they're more on the evil side in general. Are these actually different races? Are they just humans?

>> No.17987378

>>17987334
I mean, it's pretty much like the real world where the Queen of England is a German woman but the president of France is an actual French. In the 90s, Peruvians were governed by some Jap. Leaders don't necessarily have to be the same kind as the population they lead.

>> No.17988940

I believe they are different races. Some just more different than others. There's definitely some different physiognomy going on. The Red Foliot for example, and as you said the Demons have horns. As I recall commoners aren't described in a lot of detail so it may be more pronounced in the noble houses. Overall though I think it just names to differentiate main and side characters. I do hope you enjoyed the book.

>> No.17989689

>>17987334
Yeah, they’re all generally just humanoids/regular humans with a few minor differences. The “race”/“species”names don’t really align with anything that we or even the readers of the day would consider conventional. Apparently he came up with the world and all the names when he was a little kid and just stuck with it. If you don’t get hung up on the fact all the characters are just people with horns or very minor alterations, the book is an awesome experience. Eddidon’s prose is amazing.

>> No.17990026

They never display any nonhuman physical qualities aside from the demon's horns. There are some behavioral correlations with the fantasy archetypes. Goblins are kinda cowardly (execpt for gro, who at least has a slight build), the imps are all knaves, and the witches are devious.

>> No.17990250

>>17987334
>I don't think I really "get" this world.
The Worm is a huge pleb filter.

>> No.17991779

>>17990026
>Goblins are kinda cowardly (execpt for gro
I actually had the opposite impression. Gro seems rather trecherous, but then when you meet the King of Goblinland he's pretty courageous, even to a fault.
>>17990250
Not really, unless you mean in the sense that not too many people will read it in the first place. The story is pretty simple, it's just that the worldbuilding feels kind of random.
>>17987378
True, but germans and peruvians are still the same species.

>> No.17991860

>>17991779
You have too high of an opinion of plebs if you think the Worm would not spit them out straightway - they cannot withstand the style nor the story nor setting
The "worldbuilding" in Worm is the most patrician factor in it, since it consists entirely of miscellaneous aesthetic elements mashed together, not like Tolkien et al's illusionistic parlor-tricks: the former pleases true aesthetes, the latter escapists