[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 200x285, sellars-photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17985471 No.17985471 [Reply] [Original]

Short introduction to this guy? I've encountered him reading McDowell and honestly can't make much sense of his graspings and sensings and knowings, can't make sense of McDowell in turn because of that.

I'm a non native speaker anyways so that's that. Any good lecture introducing him, a good article, whatever, showing what his actual point is; not what he said and what he meant but why he has those ideas and what he's trying to do with them?

Or should I just bear through it and read his Empirical before I continue with McDowell?

>> No.17986472

>>17985471
At the risk of saying the obvious the sep article is good.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sellars/

>> No.17987352

>>17986472
Thanks for the answer still anon. I had already looked at that one, but I found that it didn't say what Sellars wanted. Instead I just listened to lectures about him for the past fours hours and now I'm clue in on him.

>> No.17987369

The entelechy of pragmatism, one of the all-time greats

Impossibly dense to read but one of the few analytics who broke through to continental and transcended both

>>17987352
Some student found old recordings of some of his lectures and put them on Youtube

>> No.17987450

>>17985471
- Project is trying to fuse the manifest and scientific image of the world (see Husserl on this)
- The Myth of the Given is mostly a "Kantian" critique of the positivistic idea of directly tying non-verbal episodes to "Konstatierung", linguistic propositions
- Nominalism regarding universals
- Functionalism in philosophy of language (Myth of Jones)

>> No.17987467

>>17987450
Don't forget he had a qt New Age theosophist wife and was curious and tolerant about her beliefs, even though he remained agnostic. Very open minded guy. Her obituary of him is online and is very sweet. He was apparently an extremely hard drinker and basically drank himself to death.