[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 250x417, huxley2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1795730 No.1795730 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts/Opinions?

Also dystopian novel general.

>> No.1795753

I'm half way through, and not really enjoying it... I feel like he's still setting the scene as one might in the introductory phase of a novel yet as I said I'm already half way through. Interesting and well defined concept though.

>> No.1795763

I love that cover so much.

>> No.1795767

>>1795753

and might I add that I preferred a clockwork orange 20fold

>> No.1795771
File: 277 KB, 800x1200, mint_vinetu_bookstore_2_small_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795753
I thought the same when I read it, it didn't live up to what I'd heard about it.
Although it definitely picked up about halfway through and I enjoyed the last few chapters. Stick at it, it's worth it.

In regards to other dystopian fiction I haven't really read much but I found The Road and A Clockwork Orange to be extremely enjoyable reads.

>> No.1795778

>>1795771

>stick with it

i will.

>captcha: family onskip

>> No.1795779

I think brave new world is best enjoyed while you're still young and haven't had your morals blasted away, that way you can relate to john better.

>> No.1795786

I think the problem a lot of people have with this novel (myself included the first time I read it) is the extremely dense language and a tendency for Huxley to go down a rabbit hole of dizzying technical data. However I would certainly stick with it; due to its complex nature it almost feels like a more 'complete' perspective of a possible future.
As has been mentioned there is similar literature out there that is far more easy to absorb, I'd recommend Orwell's 1984 for an equally enjoyable read, with a bit less concentration.

>> No.1795796

Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano, his first novel, is definitely the under-appreciated dark horse of the dystopia genre. It's funny and shockingly realistic because it's shockingly down-to-earth. The invasiveness of US consumer culture is ion a level with the guy's bitch social-climber wife. There's no sinister conspiracy, just real folks trying to live.

>> No.1795801 [DELETED] 

I read it forever ago when I was younger. I don't know if I was missing the point or something major, but it seemed like all but a very few people disliked living in that society. So really it was closer to a utopia for the majority of the people.

Really though, Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is great. So it Oryx and Crake, also by Atwood. Handmaid's Tale is more dystopic, while Oryx and Crake is more apocalyptic, but I liked the latter more.

>> No.1795804

I read it forever ago when I was younger. I don't know if I was missing the point or something major, but it seemed like all but a very few people liked living in that society. So really it was closer to a utopia for the majority of the people.

Really though, Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is great. So it Oryx and Crake, also by Atwood. Handmaid's Tale is more dystopic, while Oryx and Crake is more apocalyptic, but I liked the latter more.

>> No.1795811

>>1795804
The thing I liked most about the book is that stupid and inferior people are in their proper place and not out fucking with the fabric of society.

>> No.1796336

>>1795811
And they were happy to be there. They didn't like having to deal with the stresses of making important decisions. And they like being outside, doing manual labor, whatever. People were happy.

>> No.1796343

First half was good.

>> No.1796383

I've read BNW and liked it, but I liked the general explanations about the dystopian society more than the part with the Shakespear reading savage.

Also, everyone who has read both BNW and 1984 should read 'Amusing Ourselves to Death' by Neil Postman. It's about how Huxleys fears seem to have come true, more than Orwells totalitarian future.

>>1795796
Sounds great, that'll be my next read. I've read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five and enjoyed it, but I've steered clear of other of Vonnegut's stuff because I'm not into science fiction. But after reading your description, I guess I might give it a try.

>> No.1796402

I really enjoyed 'The Children of Men' (and was underwhelmed by the movie adaptation) and it spurred me to read a ton about demographics.
Brunner's 'The Shockwave rider' was a good dystopian book, although I disliked his 'Stand on Zanzibar' a great deal

>> No.1796407

>>1795811
I liked the part where they at sexed each other