[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 474x247, writingstockimg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17947436 No.17947436 [Reply] [Original]

I wrote a few short stories and showed them to my friends/teacher, and they said I'm pretty good. What do I do now?

>> No.17947439

>>17947436
Use them for kindling while camping out in a remote region

>> No.17947443

Time to write your Magnum Opus (emphasis on the MAGNUM)

>> No.17947449

If you're interested in writing more, then write more, but read even more. Observe, think, formulate, rewrite.

>> No.17948022

>>17947436
Post link

>> No.17948078

>>17948022
When I was 10-12 I lived on a small plot of land in Central Texas, there were mainly two species of ant: fire Ants, and sugar ants. The fire ants are immigrants from the old world, coming in our glorious new age of shipping and trade, they have little natural threat in our ecosystem so they dominate it, and the sting-less sugar ant, which is native to Texas, this ant is peaceful it cannot bite, or do much harm to anyone, I believe it mainly scavenges for food.

I lived in a small mobile home, sitting on a acre plot of land, surrounded by a whole "neighborhood" of other cloned mobile homes on similar sized land. We were atop a hill overlooking this grand sight, they extended far into the green flatland of Texas.

Walking this area you would find with us the fire ants' home, sometimes a few feet into the sky they built themselves great mounds, at the base of these mounds were graveyards of their old and sickly, hundreds of ants would be piled there. These mounds were more numerous than the homes, for in every plot there were 10 or so hills, the fire ants however may exterminate a whole area of life, they would then move their hills to a separate plot or die out. And you would find many dead hills, like how we look upon the ancient ruins of the Romans they must see the old ant hills. Abandoned, starved, or perhaps disease took their old architects? Sometimes colonists would come and occupy these old hills, and so would rebuild damaged parts, and begin again the process that destroyed their original creators.

Our driveway was gravel, with small chalk rocks and white sand from them, I came outside one day only to observe small brown spots in contrast to the white. On closer examination these brown spots were openings into the depths, out came very small brown ants, in lines they marched towards the corpse of a dead grasshopper, which they were harvesting. I took interest to them, and so stood watching them until my mother began to worry. Cont

>> No.17948091

>>17948078
She would explain to me that these were sugar ants, that they were quite numerous when she was a child, before fire ants had been introduced to the ecosystem. Their hills were modest looking, unlike the fire ants' glorious mounds, the sugar ants instead chose making many smaller hills to act as entrances into their tunnel network. I sat upon the ground watching these ants for some time, until sunset when my mother demanded I enter the building to eat and sleep. In the morning I again went home to the sugar ants to watch them. I again sat for hours, until I decided to take an active roll by sprinkling dirt in their entrances to watch them dig out.

I did this the second day, until my mother told me to enter the building to eat and then sleep. When I awoke I took with me a glass of water to the sugar ants' home, this time I poured the water into their hills, to see them drown, and they did, many were swept away in the mixture of sand and water, and were buried in it. But the sugar ants soon rebuilt their hills, and so I watched them do so. Until my mother called for me to enter the building to eat and sleep. She questioned what I was doing, I answered her that I was watching the ants, she told me that it is in poor health to sit in the sun's heat all day, that I should no longer watch them.

When I awoke I took the glass of water again with me, and again poured the water onto the ants' home, but this time few were swept away, and they quickly fixed the damage. I then with my hand dug out my own holes, which the sugar ants would fall into, where they were stuck. I watched them struggle in the hole until the gave out, and then I buried them. I buried many, to see if they could dig out. They couldn't. And so I spent the day impressing fear onto the ants, until it was soon to be sunset, and so I went into the building where I ate a slept, so my mother would not see. cont

>> No.17948105

>>17948091
But at night a thought troubled me, not my disobedience, but the thought of the ants. For what did intreast me? I had gained no knowledge from them, nor any useful advice for life. But the urge to go onto them was there, so I went onto them. I should not feel guilt, for I was simply providing tests for the ants, not killing them, if the universe willed I go there and do so then I shall watch them.

When I awoke I went again to the homes of the ants, but this time she watched me, as I walked to them, they heard me, as my shadow crept above they saw me, they knew me, and so they felt terror, and so I felt power over these small creatures. My mother though did watch me, and so she came to me, and demanded that I only stay out here for an hour or so before I come home. That fucking bitch, that whore who delivered me a bastard unto my father had interrupted my interest, damn her. She left me alone and returned to her home. On the other days I had brought water, but on this one I had forgotten, but she gave me wroth, and I delivered it onto the ants. I did crush them, and their hills under my foot and with rocks, many did flee, but I would too kill these ones, and many would come from their networks to collect injured and so many more would be killed, all were defenseless.

And so I sat and looked at the corpses I had made, I looked upon them until my mother had demanded I go into the building where I ate and slept. But as I ate in my hand were animal, but in my mind the ants, dead. As the sun sink below I went into my room for sleep, however my mind did not, for it was with the ants still. I did think of the ants laying there, I wondered how long it will take them to rebuild, so I may go again and show them wroth.

So sleep came to me, and with it brought dream, and so I saw it, the building where I eat and sleep, and I saw it from above for I was looking down at it, and I saw inside me, I saw everything, but there was nothing here, and I looked small, and so I looked. And God said unto me "Are ye so tall to tower over ant?", and so I wept, and the tears made a flood and flooded the flatlands.

As I awoke I went to the ants, but there were now none, only I was there.

>> No.17948731

>>17947436
you could write some autoerotic autobiographies of other people like that tiger woods guy thats what i do in my spare time between writing best sellers myselfs

>> No.17948740

>>17948078
>>17948091
>>17948105
oh boy....

>> No.17948751

>>17948740
What do you mean by this?

>> No.17948754
File: 254 KB, 1000x1029, 180358279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17948078
>>17948091