[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 105 KB, 820x1257, war-and-peacebook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17940230 No.17940230 [Reply] [Original]

>1400 pages and Tolstoy doesn't even tell us what happened to Boris and Julie
The book loses focus midway through and forgets about the peace parts and instead focuses on the war parts. I don't get it. There's enough pages there to have written some more in the second half but it was neglected why?
I'm not saying the second half isn't good or that the "war parts" were bad, just that I was surprised that some things weren't brought up again in the sprawling page count.

>> No.17940238

I haven't read the book.

>> No.17940247

>>17940230
It’s a great book but the ending is record-scratching.The whole epilogue is botched.I’ve reread it a few times over the years and always stop a little before the epilogue

>> No.17940254

>>17940230
I didn't know that the final section of the book is an essay on free will. Kept hoping it'd get back to the characters so I could properly say goodbye :(

>> No.17940275

>>17940247
>>17940254
I thought this whilst reading it, oh there's only 100 pages, oh there's 50 left, oh there's 40 left, oh there's 10 left and then accepted the main novel was over.

Tolstoy should have mentioned Boris in the Epilogue part 1 just to tie it up. A page would have been fine.

What do you think happened to Helena? I thought she faked her own death and fled Russia to marry one of her two suitors and society just accepted it but other people think that she died having an abortion and that it was heavily suggested in the text. I didn't think that at all and if it was it went over my head.