[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 94 KB, 719x863, F7FC7086-C4C9-400D-84FF-1AEA941937E2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17919478 No.17919478 [Reply] [Original]

i've been reading the myth of sisyphus, and while i understand it i don't really feel the whole"life is absurd" thing. do you have to be miserable in order to "get" camus?

>> No.17919482

I'm surprised you don't see it as absurd. If I take a bit of a step back and really look at it I think "what the fuck is all this"

>> No.17919534

>>17919482
idk, life seems to justify itself for me
or am i an npc

>> No.17919666

>>17919534
you are. you dont see the way things are as one of the limitless ways things could have been like since neccesity cant be grounded. which makes you take for granted the way things are and submit to them. acknowledging absurdity is breaking free of reality's pretension of neccesity. its attaining gnosis and transcending the lies of the demiurge, he who IS the way things are. he thinks he is neccesary, but he is but an arbitrary specifity in the sea of the limitless potentiality that is pleroma. now reverse tzimtzum and find freedom!

>> No.17919672

>>17919478
It has nothing to do with that, there is literally no correleation between those two. you just need to be above 80 IQ.

>> No.17919988

>>17919478
>do you have to be miserable in order to "get" camus?
No, but it somewhat helps with understanding why he wrote the Myth. Although Camus wasn`t straight up miserable. But he was clearly manic depressive of some kind.
His point about the Absurd however is pretty solid, it`s hard to point out to something tangible which honestly answers (and not simply offers more questions) our (inborn) need for meaning.
Don`t listen to Satan >>17919666 however, for Camus the Absurd is completely non-ontological. It isn`t an aspect of the World that you can philosophize away, like Sartre did. It just is. You will ask questions that you need an answer to and which will be left unanswered not only by your death, but by the universe`s heat death, questions that despite your complete insignificance in the scheme of things could be qualified as urgent for the entire universe.
All of it is fucking Absurd.

>> No.17920073

>>17919988
yep, i think i just understood it now, im actually a retard
i remember crying as a child, scared that if i die and there is no consciousness after death, all this would have been for nothing. i desperately wished that heaven existed so my existence would actually mean something. but we actually have to embrace this meaninglessness in order to live our lives to the fullest.
is this the correct understanding of camus?

>> No.17920245

>while i understand it
>feel the whole"life is absurd" thing
so you don't understand it. according to Camus "the absurd" comes from relation between the human need for objective purpose and the infallible logic that there cannot be one. so I guess if you haven't gone through the nihilist ring of fire it might be difficult(?) to understand.

>> No.17921340

>>17920073
It's not really about embracing the meaninglessness but accepting that you must create meaning for yourself by yourself