[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 262 KB, 1080x1350, 1582549061066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17859530 No.17859530 [Reply] [Original]

Two years ago I moved to a major university town in the US and have since spent my weekends drinking and making friends with uni professors. The experience has left me disillusioned and depressed. Expecting clever and broad ranging conversation that hops effortlessly between differing fields of knowledge I have instead found a clique of some of the most astoundingly ignorant people imaginable .

There are no fields of knowledge, but rather bands, narrow bands of expertise , outside of which these people are pathetically provincial. To have a conversation with these creatures is to be constantly told, ‘oh I know nothing about that, you would have to ask John he our expert on Renaissance poetry’ , except that john knows nothing about period History and doesn't for that matter speak Latin because that’s, again, not his expertise. These people are undoubtedly knowledgeable , but their knowledge is on the level of a Football fanatic having memorized years worth of player trivia. Subdivisions upon subdivisions causing a kind of hermetic vacuum around their fields such that no cross pollination can occur .

When I was in Italy we had, for all their insufficiency, to do assessments on everything from the history of art to music theory. Sure, it was all surface level, but I can still talk basic art history even with my civil engineer friends . In the university system this is almost unimaginable.

Im beginning to think that this is on some level a cultural problem. Not that of specialization but more broadly of what it means to be well educated. For whatever reasons, volume being undoubtedly one of them, it is no longer the fashion, or a mark of sophistication, even among those who want to be thought of as such, to be a jack of all trades. With even clever people being obstinately proud of knowing nothing about economic theory, other languages or republican politics.

We have narrow band historians writing history books for other even more narrow minded historians, while popular histories seem to assume almost zero knowledge on the part of their readers. With patronizing notes about the Greeks not having invented the telegraph or who St Augustine was.

Whatever may be going in institutionally, high culture has been essentially abandoned by the individual.

>> No.17859536

Didn't read but going to masturbate to the woman you posted.

>> No.17859583

>>17859530
I agree with your feeling OP, though I must say I don't think this is something new. Writers from the Renaissance like Rabelais made fun of University professors more or less for the same reasons and we can find examples through most of history. That being said >>17859536 is absolutely right here.

>> No.17859588

>>17859536
Well that's the real reason i wrote it.

>> No.17859595

>>17859530
I will uncritically assimilate this assessment into my resentful dismissal of academia

>> No.17859615

thats what happens when its your job to do some specific thing

>> No.17859659
File: 182 KB, 830x1122, 1615151928648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859615
You need to have broad knowledge to which you can relate your deep knowledge, Descartes talked about it in one of his early works.

>> No.17859666

>>17859530
>oh I know nothing about that, you would have to ask John he our expert on Renaissance poetry’
he is our expert*

>> No.17859669

>>17859666
good contribution anon

>> No.17859686

>>17859669
I despise ebonics.

>> No.17859699

>>17859595
based. me too as if confirms my preexisting bias

>> No.17859713

>>17859686
KEK that was obviously a typo you autistic fuck.

>> No.17859715

You should not talk about things you do not know anything about. That is an easy way to say something stupid. Jack of all trades, master of none.

>> No.17859728

>>17859713
My bad, Luigi.

>> No.17859732

>>17859715
you should talk about anything you feel like, just don't pretend you know more than you do. What kind of soulless bugman mindset is it to never be curious about or discuss anything unless you have a degree in it, like every one of your utterances is an advertisement about your expertise crafted to display an identity rather than just basic human discourse.

>> No.17859739

>>17859715
>Jack of all trades, master of none
...though oftentimes better than master of one.

>> No.17859761

>>17859715
Guy who said that got shot in the head. It's better to speak freely and be corrected than to sit silent and trick people into thinking you're smart.

>> No.17859764

>>17859715
You should ONLY talk about things you do not know about. It is the only way to develop imagination and the knowledge of the things itself. Too bad the English language doesn't really have the distinction "savoir/connaître" or "kennen/wissen".

>> No.17859779
File: 36 KB, 620x457, 5dce0af3b8faed3ebc07121fbd76e43b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859732
>>17859761
>>17859764
It's the Dunning Kruger effect. Retards like to spout off about things they haven't put serious consideration into, and they invariably end up saying something stupid and being humiliated for it. You see this all the time when academics from other disciplines try to comment on work in other fields, they always say the most stupid things

>> No.17859799

>>17859530

This is just the nature of academia
The logical endpoint is that it has no other choice but to subsist on many pointless specializations it can't justify its expansion any other way
But the interesting thing is that similar things happen in most institutions not just academia

>> No.17859801

>>17859779
>saying something stupid and being humiliated for it
Why is this a bad thing if your goal is to learn? Also, Socrates is probably the worst possible figure to use for your point.

>> No.17859844
File: 221 KB, 990x874, taylorismo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859530
It's the same with manual labor. We came from a tradition of artisans, in which there was a general knowledge on the whole process of manufacturing, to the mechanical division of labor of modern fordism in which the worker only knows about his narrow specific function, completely alienated from the whole. It's the dron-ization of knowledge, we're turning ourselves into machines at the service of capital.

>> No.17859850

>>17859779
>haven't put serious consideration into
Bold hypothesis. Imagination is a serious consideration.
>ou see this all the time when academics from other disciplines try to comment on work in other fields, they always say the most stupid things
Because academics don't know they're retards while I am perfectly aware of the creative side of my discourse.

>> No.17859877

>>17859530
it is a matter of specialization. professors aren't their to masturbatorially widen their breadth of knowledge into some Jeopardy champion of trivia, their work is to progress their field and at this date that means digging deeper and deeper into narrower niches of knowledge to carve out their claim.
>>17859844
good observation
>>17859799
this

>> No.17859887

>>17859530
it's the same thing in stem, when i was an unergrad i'd try talking to cs majors about geeky programing shit, and if it's not going to be on an exam, they have no fucking clue about it and don't want to

>> No.17859904

>>17859779
So riddle me this. If a PhD on Marxist philosophy says that a model utopian society can only exist in a Marxist system, no one without a degree in economics and philosophy are eligible to disagree with him just because they don't have an academic certificate?

>> No.17859914

>>17859887
CS is soulless, so no wonder these guys were only interesting in the shit they had to deal with.

>> No.17859927

>>17859904
the only ppl doing a phd in anything marxist are english majors, academia has really moved on from marxism despite the dumb stuff you see on twitter

>> No.17859946

>>17859914
it's not soulless for people that are legitimately geeks, but ever since the dotcom bubble it's been invaded by bugs who just want money even though they don't like it

>> No.17859950 [DELETED] 

>>17859530

>> No.17859955

I don't see why one even needs to have things like "experts on Renaissance poetry". What new knowledge about it is produced at this point? Certainly it's worth reading for some people, but it seems that you're essentially just a historian of some sort.

>> No.17859966

>>17859946
name 5 soulful things in CS

>> No.17859968

>>17859955
>what new knowledge can be produced about it
that's why we have generational academic fads like marxism, wokism, etc. it's just an excuse to reinterpret all the same sources but with a new "lense" and publish a bunch of papers to make their tenure bones, then a new generation comes up and does it again, but different

>> No.17859975

>>17859966
define "soulful" sounds like hand-wavy cope to me

>> No.17859982

>>17859975
5 things that you consider as having soul, for a geek

>> No.17859997

>>17859982
i don't know what you mean by "soul", i don't really know that kind of african-american boomer slang especially as it would relate to computer science, sorry

>> No.17860046

>>17859997
it's an empty buzzword on the consumption boards or anything with a design aspect. started as soul vs soulless such as

>Soul - game that may or may not have flaws, but still manages to capture the player, it’s made mainly with passion and spontaneity. Soul games stand among the others and have usually long legs, people will talk about them years after years.

>Soulless - games made to appeal to the biggest public possible, mathematically and statistically made, no passion, flavor of the month at best.

but now it's been diluted to just mean soul=what I like, soulless=what I don't like/(what you like) like the virgin/chad meme

>> No.17860178

>>17859966
"CS" is just a name for one narrow and very specific branch of mathematics.

>> No.17860227

Finance teachers are the most interesting, I don't know why though.

>> No.17860230

>>17859997
>can't even name 1 thing he's passionate about
there you go. CS is soulless.

>> No.17860234

>>17859966
>>17859982
Disclaimer: this is regarding CS as a field, not an academic major.

1. Beauty. There’s a click to programming that’s analogous to reading/writing a well-constructed philosophical argument or mathematical proof. As an English major, I’m well familiar with aesthetic experience and have felt it in some form in the few programming classes I’ve taken.
2. Understanding the world. Computers and digital technology undergird modern life and have done more to change civilization than any other recent innovation. I’m sure CS gives you deep insights on how these connective systems are structured.
3. Cellular Automata and L-systems. These seem to be more theoretical than what most CS students are exposed to, but they have deep aesthetic appeal and philosophical implications (imo) and were what drew me to computing in the first place. (Fractal and other kinds of mathematical art as a bonus, which are entirely dependent on computing.)
4. Understanding intelligence and language. By programming you are essentially simulating intelligence through language—in the basic levels achieving mere brute calculation and becoming more adept at it as you advance, with things like pattern recognition and language processing. Maybe not as soulful as you’d like, but remember that many thinkers defines the words soul and mind interchangeably.
5. Contribution to evolution. While strong AI is a long ways off, if it is achieved it will have extremely significant consequences for humanity. It’ll be like we tried our hand at playing God and succeeded at it. And perhaps birthed our successors.

>> No.17860247
File: 51 KB, 1080x1080, 1582628396529.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just to add to my general bitching:
Something that was unavoidable in the mathematical sciences has transitioned into the study of the arts where whole fields are drowning in analysis. And yet most of it is pure waffle . Analysis that continues long past the point in which it is even remotely related to the original question is almost what academic literature is. With scholars eager to subject any helpless paragraph to formulaic assessment by critical theory, deconstructionism, influence, theme, myth, marxism , feminism, gender theory, psychology, psychography, etc… And that’s on top of their various theories of comedy, tragedy, lyricism and satire. This may work for technical fields but culture is bigger (or different) then that . Sure, the Greek root of analysis means to break something down but culture is not like the natural sciences, we don't have postulates and axioms, we have no definable, unchangeable parts, or the assurance of natural laws. In culture nearly every critic and scholar can ‘prove’ his case.

There is an absolute flowering of these methods in the university's, likely because having chosen such narrow bands these institutions must have something to teach, and teaching today means breaking things down to systematic form, but having spoken to these people im not at all sure how much, if any, of that is actually illuminating.

This not incidentally a slight against criticism, which is essential and fun, but a slight against the methodical narrowness with which culture is interpreted. And If culture is to stand for something more then just rote memorization of detail and formula surely breadth would be one of those things. And, since im already grandstanding here, surely education, as separate from instruction, should leave people capable of seeing wider as well as deeper.
I dont want to read any of this back or im sure to delete it, but it has been infuriating to see hardened academics incapable of doing an ounce what Latin teacher did for me 20 years ago; that is, to make the world seem bigger and more exciting then my small town origins had ever suggested .

>> No.17860250

>>17859530
Fuck universities
Fuck school
Fuck academics

>> No.17860277

The ideal of a liberal education got replaced with the ideal of a Liberal education.

>> No.17860301

>>17859530
welcome to a world of capitalist competition, humanistic ideals of education are a thing of the past. italy would do good to abandon its nostalgia of past achievements and instead move on to exactly the university system you criticized, namely one that produces niche experts first and foremost. its a waste of ressources to spend time and effort teaching people subjects to whose realm of knowledge they will never contribute.

>> No.17860315

>>17859530
>>17860247
>writing this long essay to state something that's been happening for decades
Sei andato negli Stati Uniti per scoprire l'acqua calda.

>> No.17860321

>>17860301
What about improvement and expanding horizons? What about the mind and the soul?

>> No.17860336

>>17860321
>What about improvement and expanding horizons? What about the mind and the soul?
That doesn't get work done. Back to your cubicle wagie

>> No.17860395

>>17859530
i remember wanting to be a jack of all trades. but undergrad girls want a character to hit and quit. god i sank so low

>> No.17860438

>>17860321
>What about improvement and expanding horizons?
In a world with 8 billion people and hundreds of years since the scientific revolution you dont achieve improvement in a field without spending years building niche expertise. Even if youre gifted with one-in-a-thousand intellectual abilities you just wont, polymaths who expand knowledge in several different fields are exclusive to the pre-modern world. As for improvement on a personal level, fine you can learn whatever, but i dont think it should be in the universitys field of responsibilities to cater to that.

>> No.17860448

>>17860247
> critical theory, deconstructionism, influence, theme, myth, marxism , feminism, gender theory, psychology, psychography, etc… And that’s on top of their various theories of comedy, tragedy, lyricism and satire.
All you get in UNI is an abstract duplicate and little else. Art is not indivisible.

>> No.17860460

>>17860438
Why why study art? It leads to nothing.

>> No.17860486

>>17859801
>Why is this a bad thing if your goal is to learn?
Because the goal almost never is to learn. It's mostly about validating your own field of research or just to criticize for the sake of looking "advanced". I still remember reading articles written by professional philosophers that criticized the arrogant, uninformed opinions and claims about philosophy that were presented by physicist (I think it was Hawking at least on one occasion) as "matters of fact". It's basically the same phenomenon as people invoking the name of logic for the sake of validating their claims, despite the fact that they are making outrageous logical fallacies in their line of argumentation. Other than that, there isn't anything wrong in what you wrote.

>> No.17860526

>>17860234
good post

>> No.17860584
File: 1.24 MB, 3008x2000, Darul_Uloom_Deoband.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminder that Islamic education sees knowledge as an ontological state of being, focuses on a rounded humanistic education (involving rhetoric and classical sciences alongside logic and theology) and that you can attend seminary schools in India and Pakistan for free
>The school teaches manqulat (revealed Islamic sciences) according to the Hanafi school of Islamic jurisprudence.[citation needed] In this seminar, Nanawtawi instituted modern methods of learning such as teaching in classrooms, a fixed and carefully selected curriculum, lectures by academics who were leaders in their fields, exam periods, merit prizes, and a publishing press.[citation needed] Students were taught in Urdu, and sometimes in Arabic for theological reasons or Persian, for cultural and literary reasons. The curriculum is based on a highly modified version of the 18th century Indo-Islamic syllabus known as Dars-e-Nizami.[citation needed] The students learn the Quran and its exegesis; Hadith and its commentary; and juristic rulings with textual and rational proofs. They also study the biography of Muhammad, Arabic grammar, Arabic language and literature, and Persian language.[8]
>The syllabus consists of many stages. The five-year Nazirah (primary course) teaches Urdu, Persian, Hindi and English. The next level is the Hifze Quran. This involves the memorization of the Quran over two to four years. A few students will then choose Tajwid e Hafs (melodious recitation). The student is taught the detailed recitation rules of the Quran as laid down by Arabic Hafs. Still fewer will take up the next course, the Sab'ah and 'Asharah Qira'at (study of all the ten Quran recitations).

>> No.17860617
File: 200 KB, 1280x1197, 1615892328504.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17860250
>>17859536

>> No.17860626

>>17860234
>It’ll be like we tried our hand at playing God and succeeded at it.
do bugmen really...?

>> No.17860650

I life theory can inform the tact. When turned the other way around, as in the case in the experiencing of art, it usually limits understanding.

>> No.17860716

>>17859530
i like the unreliable narrator but the prose is overwritten and doesn't flow very well.
take something like 'a clique of some of the most astoundingly ignorant people imaginable' you really need to shave it down
i get that youre trying to drive home the pseudointellectual posturing of the narrator but after a while this sort of thing is too clunky and will train the reader to skip over words they have learned are unnecessary to understanding the meaning of the text

>> No.17860773

>>17859595
Exactly what I have just done. How did you pinpoint so perfectly how a certain segment of people feel with that short sentence, honestly impressed

>> No.17860781

>>17860716
what

>> No.17860807

>>17860716
I wasn't a bit, but i do agree.
There are also a few awkward lines and misspellings to change but it was all of the cuff sperging anyway.

>> No.17860833

>>17859530
This girl is astounding.
Also, uni profs are crap, I concur.

>> No.17861017

>>17859966
1) Good design feels good. It’s not art and it’s not poetry but it is undeniably satisfying when all of the complexity flying around in your head like the pieces of an abstract puzzle mesh together into a cohesive whole.
2) The ability to mentally model what’s going on in a program fills in vital details in a world in which software plays an increasingly large part. Visualizing code in motion from bits in an ALU up to business logic pleases the same curious part of the mind that also derives pleasure from knowing that subatomic particles comprise atoms comprise elements comprise compounds comprise cells comprise organs comprise you.
3) The software industry still puts up with ornery spergs way more than other industries do, which is good for the soul of ornery spergs who would otherwise be all alone.
4) If you work in a good space you’ll be constantly encountering different shaped problems to solve and this variety keeps you from feeling like you’re stuck in a wage cage.
5) The paycheck frees up head space to read as it gives you the means to live as comfortably as you want.

>> No.17861116

>>17861017
What do you do for your job?

>> No.17861145
File: 54 KB, 1024x576, Tu-Quoque-1024x576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859530
I don't believe you. I've never met an English professor who didn't have at least half-decent knowledge of literary periods outside their specialisms. And knowledge inside those specialisms - which, really, can be divided into medieval, early modern, and romantic/Victorian - is typically very broad and deep. When I did my MA I focused on the influence of the classical tradition on Renaissance drama and poetry, and my supervisor - who specialised in Renaissance lit - was outrageously knowledgeable about not only the literary works of that period, but the historical, cultural and religious contexts. He had good grounding in the Greeks too, and really helped me shape my dissertation.

So I don't believe you. Maybe you decided you didn't want to study English at university, and part of you regrets it for some reason, so you've developed this cope and posted it here, LARPing as a humanities student, because you want people to agree with you and give you a confirmation bias. I don't know. But it's not true.

(although it might be if you're at a really bad uni. Maybe it's an American thing. I went to Warwick in the UK, which is pretty good, top ten, but not like oxbridge. But my English professors were all hugely knowledgeable. In fact, OP, maybe I'll go back and do my PhD after all. Thanks.)

>> No.17861171

>>17859530
Be kind.

>> No.17861176

>>17859530
Hey that's Turin, specifically Piazza San Carlo. Nietzsche lived 100mt from there (you can even find an honorific plaque in the piazza). Vittorio Alfieri (one of the greatest Italian poets) also lived there.

>> No.17861186
File: 60 KB, 670x400, adc8529863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17861176
Damn, it's beautiful

>> No.17861194

>>17861116
write software

>> No.17861202
File: 55 KB, 1024x576, Types-of-Ad-Hominem-1024x576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17861145
>>17859530
Having re-read your OP, I see that wasn't all of the point you were making. But what I said still stands. My experience of academia - and unlike much of this board, I've experienced it at a graduate level - has been one of astonishing breadth and depth of knowledge. Bureaucracy, sure. And for my dissertation I had to read a bunch of Greek and Roman plays and poetry, then a bunch of English plays and poetry from about 500 years ago. What's the point? Most people wouldn't see one. I have yet to meet anyone in the 'real world' who knows who Aeschylus is, or Pindar, or Horace. People have heard of Shakespeare, a few bookish types of Marlowe, but nobody in my workplace or any social circles knows or cares about Ben Johnson or Donne or Petrarchan sonnets, in much the same way nobody cares about how Hobbes's view of human nature was pessimistic and warlike, in contrast to Aristotle before him and Rousseau after. In every field you have increasingly specialised areas of knowledge, but that is typically situated upon a breadth and depth that gives the specialised knowledge meaning. Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers all have their own specialisms. Do I know about some obscure piece of legislation that governs the building of roads, the dimensions and tolerances they must follow, the methods and processes through which concrete must be poured to be structurally sound, and so on? No, of course not. But I wager that a student in humanities has more broad knowledge than an Engineer, since I had to learn about literature, and in the process history, politics, religion, culture and art.

In any case, learning for learning's sake is for some people it's own reward. And I am incalculably proud that my dissertation is out there, with 2 citations, gathering dust. My own little corner of the world of knowledge, ideas, and beauty. My own little contribution to the bonfire.

>> No.17861228
File: 69 KB, 640x1094, 2326d67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859530
The kind of academic world you imagine, where Engineers talk about art history and students and professors talk capably about music, literature, science, and art history, doesn't exist. Academia attracts people who love knowledge and they tend to be highly specialised. Deriding and dismissing them shows how little you understand that and you've made sweeping generalisations about 'the individual'. Get over yourself.

You also write pretentiously and sound horribly judgemental. Realise - before it's too late - that the moral life is more important than the intellectual one. Who are you trying to impress?

>> No.17861238
File: 338 KB, 1200x960, Italian-Piazzas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17861186
That's just what Italy looks like, nothing too special there.

>> No.17861256

>>17861228
He's right though. You don't need to claim to be an expert in history to talk about history. Being a specialist doesn't mean you can't have some general knowledge.

>> No.17861308

>>17860234
>1. Beauty. There’s a click to programming that’s analogous to reading/writing a well-constructed philosophical argument or mathematical proof. As an English major, I’m well familiar with aesthetic experience and have felt it in some form in the few programming classes I’ve taken.
There is nothing beautiful about slaving away at a computer screen dissecting the joints of numbers that play a part in a bigger system altogether.

>> No.17861309

>>17861228
>You also write pretentiously and sound horribly judgemental
That's exactly how a lot of young uni students sound like. I thought exactly the same when I read the OP.

t. I also have experience in that world.
Even if OP is right overall, he basically belongs to that shitty circle of obnoxious people.

>>17861238
Beautiful.

>> No.17861354

>>17861145
>>17861202
Cry yourself to sleep tranny faggot.

>> No.17861358

>>17861308
I guess. I was doing babby C++ and got a little kick out of it. I ended up copying others’ code a lot of the time and it still felt interesting when everything locks in together.

>> No.17861372

>>17859530
i will forgive your jezebelposting because your post was actually rather interesting but you should still think about suicide at least a little bit

>> No.17861378

>>17861228
>Academia attracts people who love knowledge and they tend to be highly specialised.
If you aren't a polymath then you don't love knowledge.

>> No.17861407

>>17861228
>The kind of academic world you imagine, where Engineers talk about art history and students and professors talk capably about music, literature, science, and art history, doesn't exist.
Retroactively refuted by >>17860584

>> No.17861421

>>17859530
>US
>smart people
There is your problem

>> No.17861422

>>17859966
The most soulful research laboratory in recent history was Bell Laboratories, an institution largely focused on computer science and electrical engineering.

>> No.17861425

>>17861145
>I went to Warwick in the UK
going to disregard everything you type from this point on, a*glo.

>> No.17861430

>>17861378
t. Retard

>> No.17861434

>>17859530
Anon I appreciate what you're trying to do but most people need the environment setup for them

Secularize a job
Secularize a field of knowledge
Stay in singular places
Etc.

Those in charge made a system where they've benefited by locking everyone in place, secularizing people more and more and more.
I'm assuming there could be something better by having more capable and developed people, but most patriarchs just see this as a threat.

Either way, this has everything to do with the underlying patterns one learns through day to day activity and social reinforcement.

And desu I was socially and culturally a lot more curious before our current wave of politics made my existence an enemy.

>> No.17861446

>>17861256
No, but he isn't posting to complain that people don't have much general knowledge, he's posting to complain that the tenured faculty of a University aren't all polymaths. He's probably a bitter undergraduate or just naive

>>17861309
>>17861228
This really. OPs post reeks of obnoxious posturing. Half the academics in history knew sweet fuck all about other subjects. Wittgenstein was a genius but completely absent of any knowledge outside a few small fields. So Shakespeare wasn't an engineer, who gives a fuck?

>> No.17861458

>>17861308
The patterns and relations between numbers are very mystifying. For example if you multiply the numbers 1 through 10 by themselves three times, the results are:
1, 8, 27, 64, 125, 216, 343, 512, 729, 1000
The last digits of these numbers are:
1, 8, 7, 4, 5, 6, 3, 2, 9, 0
Each of the numbers from 1 through 10 appears once, and in order, except 2, 3, 7, and 8 swap places. Why is this? Just a coincidence?

>> No.17861466

>>17859715
Mastery is
A. Relative to others skill levels
B. Subject to be surpassed in time
C. Subject to personal bias, always

It's a silly line and people should stop puking it up.

>> No.17861488

>>17861458
I don't believe in maths it's man-made

>> No.17861489

>>17861202
Cope

>> No.17861502

>>17861446
>he's posting to complain that the tenured faculty of a University aren't all polymaths.
He never said that, his issue is that people in universities have pigeonholed themselves severely all in favor of hyper-specialization because this is the sort of neoliberal utilitarian society we live in.
>Wittgenstein was a genius
lol
>So Shakespeare wasn't an engineer, who gives a fuck?
Shakespeare possessed a wide breadth of knowledge though.

>> No.17861505

>>17859536
FPBP

>> No.17861513

>>17861502
>people in universities have pigeonholed themselves severely all in favor of hyper-specialization because this is the sort of neoliberal utilitarian society we live in.

What nonsense. My experience of university and academics has been nothing like that at all.

>> No.17861518

>>17859536

This is OP's problem, he had a common subject on which to bond with all the male professors but didn't bring it up.

>> No.17861524

>>17861518
>he had a common subject on which to bond with all the male professors but didn't bring it up.
who the fuck would want to bond with some grungy old egghead with baby hands.

>> No.17861530

>>17861488
Maths is the language in which the universe speaks to us, for example your post number just outed you as a nazi

>> No.17861532
File: 65 KB, 1068x601, 5BF5A066-A876-40A7-A622-1F018A2153F0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17859536

>> No.17861535

>>17859536
based, based!!

>> No.17861558

>>17861513
>My experience of university and academics has been nothing like that at all.
No one cares about that, it's still no coincidence that the intellectuals of today and yesteryear are hyper-specialized autists incapable of understanding valuable context outside their fields.

>> No.17861568

>>17861558
But I don't believe that's true. What were your professors like? None of mine have ever matched that description, all have had terrific interdisciplinary knowledge. I can't think of a single one throughout my BA or my MA that hasn't.

>> No.17861596

>>17861568
Same here. My third year lit professor is the one who told me all about the Trivium and Quadrivium. Used to love stargazing and was about to take a sabbatical to finish an MA in philosophy. Great dude.

>> No.17861610

>>17860438
>welcome to a world of capitalist competition
>In a world with 8 billion people and hundreds of years since the scientific revolution
I think instead of conforming to whatever is, we should strive for what ought to be. Specialization has come to inhuman and disgusting levels.

>its a waste of ressources to spend time and effort teaching people subjects to whose realm of knowledge they will never contribute
I thought the point was to create better humans, not to have humans create a better... something....

>> No.17861624

>>17861430
Knowledge comes from the universal, not the particular.

>> No.17861633
File: 154 KB, 1024x839, 1607724538514m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17861568
>>17861596
And my axe! Seriously though, same. I'm convinced the people complaining about these droidlike autistic pigeonholed professors have never actually been to uni and are building up strawmen as a cope.

Dr JH, you were a legend and one of the smartest guys I ever met. I still think of your insights, 4 years later.

>> No.17861707
File: 105 KB, 828x1016, 14DB3B56-D58C-4410-9D39-197AB5B9A777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Accurate assessment

>> No.17861715

>>17861407
Because everyone knows all those Pakistani and Indian contemporary islamist scholars with knowledge of the arts and science and history like...
Oh, it's like they just sit there and rock back and forth reciting the one book they have on hand then learning to base and parse their entire worldview through that single book.. More indoctrination of walking Qurans than any kind of learning.

God this board is full of sheltered pseuds. Try talking to your local Imam about the arts you dumb fuck.

>> No.17861721

>>17861145
I don't see how that fallacy would apply to all cases.
As an example let's say a parent smokes and won't let his child smoke because he is sure that smoking is bad for one's health.
Or another example a lung doctor that smokes.

>> No.17861735

>>17861568
>>17861596
>>17861633
Fourth'd

OP hasn't been to university. Cringing hard. Really lads we should have something better to do with our time, the last few days in particular have convinced me this board is mostly under the age of 21

>> No.17861748

>>17861721
That's why it's a fallacy... It's faulty argument. Do as I say, not as I do. The fault is in someone accusing your mother or lung doctor of thinking smoking is okay. They could refute the tu quoque accusation by revealing they don't let their child smoke or their profession, respectively.

>> No.17861764

>>17859530
tl;dr dipshit finally starts to realize what everyone else figured out 10 years ago
You are so fucking stupid, holy shit. I'm starting to believe that you are just making shit up to seem retarded. Fuck you.

>> No.17861769

>>17859530
>outside of which these people are pathetically provincial.
You appreciate the Bed of Procrustes established to neuter any prospective natural elite arising. Boomer tenure still predominates in academia for a reason.

> Harvard College was a negative force, and negative forces have value. Slowly it weakened the violent political bias of childhood, not by putting interests in its place, but by mental habits which had no bias at all. It would also have weakened the literary bias, if Adams had been capable of finding other amusement, but the climate kept him steady to desultory and useless reading, till he had run through libraries of volumes which he forgot even to their title-pages. Rather by instinct than by guidance, he turned to writing, and his professors or tutors occasionally gave his English composition a hesitating appro
https://www.bartleby.com/159/4.html

>>17859715
Analogical thinking is what produces innovation and novel insight — breadth is mmandatory. You are the Coomer with the engorged fap arm

>>17860247
>unavoidable in the mathematical sciences has transitioned into the study of the arts where whole fields are drowning in analysis. And yet most of it is pure waffle
Has to do with the anti-human cattle aims of the Academy’s proprietors. Stratfordians in Shakespeare scholarship are emblematic of this cognitive rigidity

>>17861145
>I've never met an English professor who didn't have at least half-decent knowledge of literary periods outside their specialisms.
You lack what was required to make that determination in the first place. Cretans lie

>>17861202
>I wager that a student in humanities has more broad knowledge than an Engineer, since I had to
>than an Engineer
>an ENGINEER
You have the knowledge stack of a New Age Boomer; the engineer remains capable of creative production as a crafts person within his field — you offer ‘commentary’

>>17861228
Cope & Seething

>> No.17861778

>>17859686
you are retarded

>> No.17861785

>>17859715
Another way to say that university professors are just narcissistic fucks

>> No.17861795

>>17861769
You think you're clever but you're an idiot

>> No.17861854

>>17861458
Fuck. Who made math tho.

>> No.17861881

>>17861458
>Why is this?
fractals bruh

>>17861854
>Who made math tho.
DMT space monkeys piloting their stardust suits

>> No.17861945

>>17859530
specialization was always ridiculed in the past, now it's essential both for economic/material success, and intellectual advancement.

Yesterday this thread >>17847875 about an article called "Letter to an aspiring intellectual" was posted saying to dive deep into something, essentially advocating for specialization. It says you can otherwise become a dilettante. However I would sooner warn about becoming a specialist than a dilettante.

You should be glad these people at least had the humility to admit they don't know much about x y or z.

>> No.17861958

>>17859530
Good post, OP. I hope your disillusionment is short-lived and leads you to become a true renaissance man, to the extent that that's possible in the modern world.

>> No.17861994

>>17861145
>>17861202
This has to be the most outrageously myopic post I've ever had the misfortune to come across on this dogshit board. YOU ARE A MIDWIT. OP's point didn't just fly over your head; it did a 360 and walked away while you were preoccupied with admiring yourself. YOU ARE A MIDWIT. The amount of gloating done in these two posts is beyond anything I've ever seen before. Your dissertation has 2 citations? YOU ARE A MIDWIT. You've read some entry-level authors? YOU ARE A MIDWIT. Went to Warwick? YOU ARE A MIDWIT.

YOU
ARE
A
MIDWIT

god if i ever saw you in real life id fucking lamp you you horrid little cunt

>> No.17862056

>>17861994
Bruh chill. What could he possibly have said to elicit that reaction lmao

>> No.17862126

>>17859530
It's a mixture of multiple effects (predictably). A 100 years ago, it was possible for a 16 year old with proper education to reach, comprehend, and even further the limits of human knowledge. Furthermore, having reached that epistemological horizon, he could maintain his place by a cursory survey of his peers' work. Finally, lacking the intense competition for funding that necessitates productivity, he could maintain his tenure with minimal effort.

Nowadays, those professors you encounter in your "major university town in the US" needed some 4 decades of dedicated education and guidance, of scholarship that traversed 100 years of discipline, and great specialization in expertise so narrow as to border irrelevance just to be worse off than that aforementioned 16 year old.

So excuse them, but they have work to do and can't spare the time to entertain a jumped up, overpaid, underworked, and too broadly read, guinea dilettante and his "civil engineer friends" with musings on how Michelangelo's latent homosexuality features in the ceiling of the Sistine chapel.

>> No.17862147

>>17859536
way too pure, if anything this pic reminded me of a less supernormal stimuli ridden nightmare trash culture

>> No.17862152

>>17862126
Thoroughly based post. You legend. Said it better than I could

>> No.17862197

>>17861945
>now it's essential both for economic/material success
No shit
You're an extension of those whom came into power and knowledge early
You're encouraged to design yourself into becoming a single spec tool.

For anyone clever enough this is not mandatory.
The stock market was basically hush hush designed as a tool for the clever to avoid the cultural slavery (If they wanted)

>> No.17862218

>>17860250
/thread
/board
/site

>> No.17862402

>>17859715
Being a jack of all trades is better than being a master of one and completely ignorant of all the others.

>> No.17862437

>>17861228
Shut the fuck up moralfag. The only worthwhile life is the life of beauty.

>> No.17863309

>>17859530
1. Jezebel posters shall receive only comments upon the jezebel. The text of the post shall not be read or commented upon.

>> No.17863587

The age of the reneiscance man is over. There will never be another Da Vinci.
Da Vinci existed in a time when a lot of the "easy" shit hadn't been figured out. In his time if you studied and we're smart you could make advancements in many different kinds of fields.
That's impossible now. There is no gravity to suddenly realize exists. There's no calculus to discover.
Nowadays, advancements can only be made by those with specialized knowledge. There are thousands of papers published a day, but unless you're in the field of expertise, you won't even begin to understand the basics. It's essential for the development of our knowledge that we move from Jack of all trades types and to specialists.
Why do you need to talk art history with your engineer friends?

>> No.17863663

>>17863587
This is a dumb take. Read The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, or at least the first couple chapters of Frankenstein.
Renascence men were a product of the aristocratic system in Europe, when aristocrats would style themselves as well spoken dabblers and compete with each other by sponsoring intellectuals to come to the court.
Once this was replaced by democracy and mass media there was a rise of first demagogues and later public intellectuals who were now sponsored by political parties, media networks, and private interests. Instead of virtuosity in several fields they were expected to have an easy to recognize 'brand' and 'vision' that could be effectively marketed.
Now everything is on youtube and tiktok so we get a bunch of e-grifters on one hand and sterile career academics on the other.

>> No.17863676

>>17859536
Patrician tastes my good man

>> No.17863680

>>17859904
People just act like al universities are Berkeley. I have a legit Marxist professor who would be fired if he was ever actually a part of some “workers’ association.”

>> No.17863681

>>17863663
Thanks for the response, anon. I don't know what I'm talking about and I don't know why I responded to this thread.
I'm literally 18

>> No.17863682

>>17859530
I lost the attention span to read posts longer than 3 lines. I can not read this post but stare at the 9/10 female

>> No.17863701

>>17859659>>17860247

>>17859530
>Expecting clever and broad ranging conversation that hops effortlessly between differing fields of knowledge
lol, funny coming from a cumbrain. I love how sex addict atheists keep viewing as the pinnacle of humanity and saying they deserve better idle intellectual entertainment.

>> No.17863746

>>17861707
did you photoshop her nips out? lmao

>> No.17863756

>>17859536
OP deserves it, since he posting a hot woman obviously means that he doesn't trust the garbage that he wrote to be worth it on its own.

>> No.17863785

>>17859686
I despise Leftist white people and here is why. "Ebonics" is a white person word. Blacks would never have created such a world or pretended their bastardized language was anything other than a bastardization on their own. Upper class black people used to speak properly, in the US successful blacks would learn to speak normal English, in Haiti the upper class speaks (more) proper French. Legitimatizing broken English by giving it an academic name, "Ebonics", would be similar to pretending Spenglish (Mexican spoken broken English/Spanish) or Hillbillics (poor southern white English) is a legitimate form of communication. None of these are. Pretending some broken, retarded, over simplified form of animal guttural noises is something not to aspire beyond actually hurts the "people" white Leftists obsess over and feel sorry for. White Leftists worship the most retarded and weakest in a multicultural Jewish hellscape. They do this because white Leftcucks are so god damn retarded that they can't form functioning family units anymore. So to provide an outlet for their empathetic familial needs they have superficially adopted Shaleeka and Jamal into their absolutely retarded, diseugenic, mixed race social group of abomination against god and nature (Jews are clapping).

>> No.17863792

>>17861707
What a degenerate whore lol

>> No.17863800

>>17861707
Based on this post I have decided to publicly shame white whores like this from now on. I won't make a big scene, just look at them in the eye with a face of disgust. This is not a larp, will be doing this from now on

>> No.17863807

>>17861715
Muslims and Leftcucks are Jewslaves that don't know it yet, both should be genocided out of the galaxy

>> No.17863817

>>17863785
>>17863792
>>17863800
>>17863807
GO TO BED YOU ANGRY FAGGOT, TRY AGAIN TOMORROW, MAYBE CONSIDER THAT YOU ARE THE PROBLEM

>> No.17863825
File: 361 KB, 1190x985, Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 01.04.27.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17863817

>> No.17863828

>>17863825
kek

>> No.17863830
File: 393 KB, 1384x2048, sadlittlefaggot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17863825
Holy shit you
>>17863817

>> No.17863838

>>17863830
got called out pretty bad. Maybe it is past your bedtime.

>> No.17863841
File: 142 KB, 1080x1350, 1582547458674.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17860438 >>17861145 >>17861202 >>17861228 >>17861513 >>17861568 >>17861596 >>17861633 >>17862126 >>17863587

Im not saying fuck the academy just that what made sense for the sciences has turned out deadly for the humanities and subsequently to our ideas of personal growth and self improvement.

Art isn’t useful the way physics, of chemistry both are. Beyond the basic route of historical/ biographical research there’s nothing to discover in that vain of continual flow and progress that the STEM fields enjoy. It’s ‘point,’ that original glimmer that attracted you to it, is internal. It’s a path to growth and sophistication that while it does not come automatically after exposure to the good things, nor suddenly sprout from ‘reading-up’ on art history or theory, does through slow unidentified processes of comprehension and understanding reshape the personality. I know that’s more then a little pretentious , but I am a different, I would not say better, person for having engaged with art. This is as true for a professor as it is for an electrician or an engineer. As good and moral living come as much from art, as from philosophy and law .

Whether specialization is a necessity in the academy, I dont know. The terms amateur and dilettante, in their original meanings of a ‘lover’ and ‘seeker of delight,’ may as well have been made for me. I studied Law for heavens sake, I know nothing the academic milieu. But the turning of art education into systems (see >>17860247) is narrow and pseudoscientific.

I dont know the origins of this, I first noticed it reading F. R. Leavis who insisted that a codified systematic approach is necessary in order to make literature not seem like a soft option, and to impress the public, but the result of academic writing being exclusively for the benefit of other narrowly disciplined academics, to exclusion even of their colleagues , let alone the public, has caused a situation where a renaissance man is less and less likely to be found in a university.

When inviting me to sit in on Sophocles lecture , a professor told me something along the lines of: ‘oh it wonderfully interesting , it has some o the least typical Greek structures I’ve ever seen.’ But is that all Sophocles is now? A collection of grammatical structures , chiefly interesting for their not fitting to the standard model Greek development? This isnt interesting, it’s dull and scholarly, undoubtedly worthwhile work, but not a reason for anyone but an expert to open Oedipus Rex.

>> No.17863844

>>17859530
I remember reading Tocqueville and having this same realisation as I watched him effortlessly cross between disciplines without being an 'eckspurt' in any of them in particular. The idea of the cosmopolitan aristocratic intelligence is mostly dead (appropriately this preference for reason over genius was something Tocqueville predicted as a consequence of the spread of democracy).

>> No.17863848

>>17863841
(Ugh…. apologies for the turgid formulations , im writing after a nap)

>> No.17863852

>>17859530
Isn’t this Messi’s wife? Looks like her but a bit younger.

>> No.17863864

>>17859536
based

>> No.17863872

>>17859764
They do bro, it's still in Scots, to ken smth

>> No.17863874

>>17863785
term was coined by a black. woke leftists say "AAVE" not ebonics

>> No.17863909

>>17861228
>You also write pretentiously and sound horribly judgemental.
The irony..... stop projecting and stop pulling people down who are better then you.

>> No.17863938

>>17863844
>appropriately this preference for reason over genius was something Tocqueville predicted as a consequence of the spread of democracy

Where exactly? i have read Democracy in America like 10 years ago.

>> No.17863952

>>17863785
>Hillbillics
lmao

>> No.17863961

This is not /blog/

>> No.17863975

>>17862218
NOOOOO WHERE ELSE WILL I TALK ABOUT MONGOLIAN BASKET WEAVING?!

>> No.17863990

>>17863938
It's obviously a long book (which I also read some years ago) and the theme of reason vs. genius is touched upon in multiple places IIRC, but here's a representative quotation from Chapter 6 of Part 2:

>What are you requiring of society and its government? One must be clear about that.

>Do you wish to raise the human mind to a certain lofty and generous manner of viewing the things of this world? Do you wish to inspire in men a kind of scorn for material possessions?

>Is it your desire to engender or foster deep convictions and to prepare the way for acts of deep devotion?

>Is your main concern to refine manners, to raise behavior, to cause the arts to blossom? Do you crave poetry, reputation, glory?

>Are you intending to organize a nation so that it will exercise strength of purpose over all others? Are you giving it the aim of undertaking mighty projects and leaving an impressive mark upon history, however its efforts turn out?

>If, in your estimation, that should be the main objective of social man, do not choose a democratic government because it would not steer you to that goal with any certainty.

>But, if it seems useful to you to divert man’s intellectual and moral activity upon the necessities of physical life and use it to foster prosperity; if you think that reason is more use to men than genius; if you aim to create not heroic virtues but peaceful habits; if you prefer to witness vice rather than crime and to find fewer splendid deeds provided you have fewer transgressions; if, instead of moving through a brilliant society, you are satisfied to live in a prosperous one; if, finally, in your view, the main objective for a government is not to give the whole nation as much strength or glory as possible but to obtain for each of the individuals who make it up as much wellbeing as possible, while avoiding as much suffering as one can, then make social conditions equal and set up a democratic government.

>> No.17864005

>>17863990
Based de tocq.

>> No.17864053

>>17863825
based

>> No.17864118

>>17862126
>So excuse them, but they have work to do and can't spare the time to
This is a bunch of trash rhetoric from a decaying state.

Much learning can be self taught. Most these profs can put up YouTube videos and leave it at that, then go learn more themselves.

What a waste to run the same class day in day out

>> No.17864128

>>17863587
Humans don't know shit and have been running feedback loops because of language, identity/values/race, and looking at something grand, attributing hierarchical worth to it.

There's no real innovation because nothing is really changing or being approached from radically different angles and compositions

>> No.17864140

>>17863587
>There are thousands of papers published a day, but unless you're in the field of expertise, you won't even begin to understand the basics.
This is the perfect case for why we should be applying more renaissance approach. It would, at the least, increase people abilities to think for themselves.

I also don't think people realize how much different sectors can bleed into each other

>> No.17864177

>>17859530
I work in higher circles, only smart people say they don't know shit. Morons do their best to sound smart by pretending to know.

>> No.17864328

I feel like I know the place or -dare I say- piazza she is standing in, where is it?

>> No.17864335

>>17864328
Piazza San Carlo. Turin

>> No.17864397

>>17864177
The more you learn the more dunno Krueger reality gets
And not knowing is the liberating emptiness that leads you into free inquiry

>> No.17864405

>>17864328
>>17864335
I love Turin. The real questiin is who is this succubus (female) in OPs' pic

>> No.17864432

>>17861610
>I thought the point was to create better humans, not to have humans create a better... something.... humanity is incapable of changing its core traits through sheer power of will; they are rooted in biology. it can be seen by the fact that all of humanitys struggles (conflict, greed, hatred, injustice) have been cyclically reappearing since we first appeared. only recent technological progress has started to tangibly change the human condition by means of external applications: nukes have brought peace to the world when thousands of years of culture couldnt. industrialization has decreased the discrepancies in quality of life in populations when thousands of years of culture couldnt. a noble humanity will be the direct result of material scientific progress, rumination on the human condition is a fruitless path.

>> No.17864437

>>17864177
I suspect this. Maybe the professors thought it better to ask experts since they are available?

>> No.17864453

Beautiful enough to be hot, plain enough to be within reach

>> No.17864456

>>17864437
>>17864177
OP isn't taking conversation's over drinks, not prime minister question time

>> No.17864461

>>17864456
Is talking about *

>> No.17864467

>>17864405
This

>> No.17864511

>>17863841
But you've missed the point with the Sophocles thing. Sophocles DID innovate Greek tragedy. That's important, hugely important, because Sophocles' innovations have directly impacted the development of later drama, novels, and films.

I also guarantee that 'Sophocles lecture' was not solely focused on the way Sophocles was different. But the purely aesthetic, emotional value of his plays are not so much more important as his innovation was. It's much more important than you think, hugely so, far more than 'a collection of grammatical structures', and to me very, very far from being 'dull'.

>> No.17864632

>>17864453
Relatable feel

>> No.17864680

>>17864335

Grazie.

>> No.17864692

>>17864680
>t. Has travelled to Rome once

>> No.17864715

>coom posting
>not posting the name

>> No.17864936

>>17864453
>plain enough to be within reach
Maybe for you

>> No.17864965

>>17864692

I am in Italy every other month, you audacious whore.

>> No.17865058

>>17864965
Still a tourist

>> No.17865085

>>17865058

I might get Italian citizenship soon. What then, anon? What will you do with potty mouth of yours except blow my Schwängel drenched in ragù alla bolognese?

>> No.17865149

>>17859530
I am an intellectual, but I am tired of how you presume the "classic standards" are the best gauge someone being well-read. Some people focus on different genres or other classics.
Also, I don't really like most classical or Renaissance paintings. The Tang emperors viewed them as crass. I agree. I prefer Golden Age of Illustrations.
Also, the Greeks are overrated. I do not like their melodramatic trash. Even if you didn't tell me they were largely gay, I would have figured it out eventually. I have different literary focuses.
You have very standard and normie tastes. The problem is you.
St Augustine was an envious piece of shit too, one of the worst thinkers out of all history.

>> No.17865173

>>17865149
>I am an intellectual,
Thanks for the laugh buddy.

>> No.17865180

>>17865173
How am I wrong?

>> No.17865225

>>17865173
I am an intellectual AND prophet. You are nothing compared to me.

>> No.17865232

>>17865173
List your top 10 books, films, and painters.
Also, top 5 hobbies.
Also, top 5 present accomplishments and age.

I have lists for all of this. If challenge me, you better be ready.

>> No.17865251

>>17865149
lol
>>17865180
lol
>>17865225
lol
>>17865232
With this one in particular. lol

Insecurity is one thing, but you are something else entirely.

>> No.17865275

>>17865232
Asking someone to list a top 10 painters tells me everything I need to know about you. Toppest of keks.

>> No.17865286

>>17865275
This is actually one of the best top ten exercises because you get an astonishing variety of painters. I think because the 'consumption' of painting is so low effort that people find many more obscure painters than with literature or even music.

I mean ranking art is autism in general but you're not supposed to take it seriously

>> No.17865287

>>17865251
One of those is not me...
>Insecurity is one thing, but you are something else entirely.
You are a coward and fled from a challenge.
You are too afraid to write your top 10 books, films, and painters and top 5 hobbies and present accomplishments.
This is because you know I would win. You would be forced to prostrate before me and kiss the ground before my feet. You are nothing compared to me. It is men like me who change the tides of history. A single tear from me is worth the lifetimes of blood from the rabble. I am an awakened Buddha, the Paraclete of Christ, the mahidi, Maitreya, the Saoshyant, and much more. In fact, I am beyond all of that. I have transcended my humanity and reached planes you cannot hope to understand. Not even Lovecraft's dreams can compare to the lofty heights of my mind, my wisdom and splendor. I radiate with a mysterious irradiance that is imperceptible to curs like you. The birds and whales sing hearkening my arrival. Not even the poetry of the sages can touch my magnificence, the luminousness of my mind. You have no soul or Buddha nature when confronting someone as great as I. You are just a little bitch, a little faggot, and a descendant of an interminable line of peasants.
That is why you fled in the face of my challenge. You refused to be humbled by a prophet and intellectual of the ages, by a genius and sage who transcends space and time, by one who will soon take God's place on the throne.

>> No.17865288

>>17865149
>I am an intellectual
>the Greeks are overrated
Yikes

>> No.17865295

>>17865288
List your top 10 books, films, and painters.
Also, top 5 hobbies.
Also, top 5 present accomplishments and age.

>> No.17865330

>>17865286
Why should someone intellectual have to care enough to have a top 10 painters in the first place? He doesn't have to be a comic book tier intellectial, sitting in an armchair by the fireplace, sipping single malt and listening to classical music and mumbling about Renaissance paintings. Maybe he's just a clever dude who enjoys different things. There must be better ways to test this.

>> No.17865339

>>17865330
>He doesn't have to be a comic book tier intellectial, sitting in an armchair by the fireplace, sipping single malt and listening to classical music and mumbling about Renaissance paintings
I prefer modal jazz. Classical demands attention and prevents me from being able to read.

>> No.17865364

>>17865085
Careful not to doxx yourself, kraut nigger

>> No.17865367

>>17859595
Same.

>> No.17865374

>>17865330
>>17865339
Paintings are closer to the divine than music. Schopenhauer was wrong. Therefore, I will not accept a top 10 list of music except maybe bird or animal songs.

>> No.17865380

>>17865287

Obviously exaggerating, but even so an essence does some through. You may be the most retarded person on lit.
Congratulations man.

>> No.17865382

>>17865374
The divine is all things, and therefore one media cannot be closer to it than another.

>> No.17865387

>>17865330
It's not really a top 10, it's just '10 painters I like'

>> No.17865390

>>17865380
The wise and highly intelligent do come off as retarded to the rabble. Greatness is rarely perceived by the peasants.

>> No.17865397

>>17865149
> I am an intellectual,
follows it up with unadulterated autism.
Sure you are mate.

>> No.17865399

>>17865387
Okay, then just list top 10 books and films then.

>> No.17865405

>>17865397
Plenty of great minds were autistic like Emily Dickinson. Autism can be beautiful when directed to noble crafts and endeavors.

>> No.17865409

>>17865149
>I am an intellectual
said not a single one actual intellectual ever

>> No.17865412

>>17865405
I for one say we make this fucker king.
The laughs alone would be worth it.

>> No.17865415

>>17865409
That's because they rarely spoke to the rabble due to strict class division.

>> No.17865422

I see the shitpost level in this thread has gone through the roof

>> No.17865438

>>17859530
>>17861176
>>17864335
I used to live there. Literally the building just outside the Piazza.
It was also surprisingly cheap because the guy renting the apartment was desperate and in serious debt.

Lost my virginity there

>> No.17865463

>>17865438
>Lost my virginity there
Sex for recreational purposes is bad.

>> No.17865469

>>17865438
Nice too see the thread back on track

Turin is lovely, and less touristy then most of Italy.

>> No.17865471

>>17859715
Jack of all trades
and master of none
but oh so much better than a master of one

>> No.17865482

>>17865463
What about sex for love purposes

>> No.17865492

>>17859779
So this is why terrible ideas go unchallenged. An economic idea that relies on an impossible production of energy won't be challenged by an engineering student, for fear he'll be "humiliated".

In other words useful synthesis of knowledge is highly discouraged, explaining a significant component of secular stagnation.

Thanks for coming to me ted talk

follow me on twitter ~nya~

>> No.17865505

>>17865482
Why are you always thinking about sex? Are you some kind of degenerate bonobo? Why can't you become a sophisticated gentleman like me? Drinking tea in a resplendent garden, full of nice flowers and birds singing, is far better than sex. You need to get on my level, you disgusting ape. I'd rather go scuba diving again than worrying about the transient pleasures which my penis can experience. It's always sex this, sex that, with you ingrates. True intellectuals feel post-coital tristesse because sex is icky and nasty. Being a prude is essential for true cultivation of the mind. Do you want to stoop down to the level of niggers? Do you want to stoop down to the level of dirty polygamous Muslims with their smeg covered dicks? Do you want to become like an air-headed roastie who dreams of sex instead of beautiful nature trails full of biodiversity and mysteries.
You are a faggot and little bitch. You need someone like me as your sage. I will guide you on the path for true self-actualization for 50 dollars an hour of lectures.

>> No.17865516

>>17865505
>Muslims with their smeg covered dicks
you're supposed to wash your dick after every piss actually
funny post otherwise

>> No.17865562

>>17865232
>>17865286

what zero pussy does to a mufuggah baka

>> No.17865815

>>17859779
>Dunning Kruger
used everywhere except serious psychological literature. I see you are trying to prove your point, but you a retard nevertheless

>> No.17866305

Hi, intellectual here
ask me anything

>> No.17866394

>>17865505
Based

>> No.17866462

>>17861994
define midwit without looking it up

>> No.17866469

>>17866462
You

>> No.17866477

>>17865505
Tea has fluoride, fluoride increases docility

>> No.17867282

>>17866477
Herbal tea doesn't.

>> No.17868045

This was a lovely thread and you assholes ruined it.

It 's not even the coomers, but the 'I am an intellectual' subwits.
Ugh.

>> No.17868104

>>17868045
You're just angry that you're not an intellectual like me. You are just peasant scum.

>> No.17868195

>>17859530
China and Liberals ruined our once proud institutions.

https://youtu.be/xnH_OIgNgSY