[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 864x1152, 1612629081.392556-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17849185 No.17849185 [Reply] [Original]

redpill me on mathematician's lament

>A musician wakes from a terrible nightmare. In his dream he finds himself in a society where
music education has been made mandatory. “We are helping our students become more
competitive in an increasingly sound-filled world.” Educators, school systems, and the state are
put in charge of this vital project. Studies are commissioned, committees are formed, and
decisions are made— all without the advice or participation of a single working musician or
composer.
>Since musicians are known to set down their ideas in the form of sheet music, these curious
black dots and lines must constitute the “language of music.” It is imperative that students
become fluent in this language if they are to attain any degree of musical competence; indeed, it
would be ludicrous to expect a child to sing a song or play an instrument without having a
thorough grounding in music notation and theory. Playing and listening to music, let alone
composing an original piece, are considered very advanced topics and are generally put off until
college, and more often graduate school.

>> No.17849259

its absolutely correct, however the music analogy fails because almost anything would be better than the modern relationship with music lol
also maybe the problem lies in using "education" to fill this role in people's experience w/ math/music...? well

>> No.17849277

>>17849185
>high schools and colleges do not teach metaphysics or philosophy
>students hate math and don’t see the point
>the students who are “good at math” are just automatons who have mechanical skill and memory, but no wisdom—not even knowledge

>> No.17849655

>>17849259
> almost anything would be better than the modern relationship with music
elaborate

>> No.17849660

>>17849277
> American education
Okay, I feel for you. Sucks that you live in a shithole.

>> No.17850340

Those are really nice daffodils, I'll go get some for my vase later

>> No.17850418

>>17849655
>>>/mu/