[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 282 KB, 698x945, 27C732A0-DC55-451B-BB88-5D69AC936273.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17805591 No.17805591 [Reply] [Original]

I’ve been reading deeper into Christianity for more than a decade now and I can’t help but feel that the religion is “inefficient”. I’m not larping, I’ve sunk maybe 300 or 500 hours into this.

The allusions are too difficult for the normie to grasp. The English translations aren’t very adequate. Nobody spends much time understanding the Parables. Much of the New Testament is argument on Jesus satisfying the Old Testament prophesies, which is a waste of time — I mean literally it is an inefficient use of time if your goal is to rear people into religion. Christians are stuck with an out-dated Old Testament that is hyper-specific to symbolic Jewish literary culture, meaning to understand such things as “what do the ages of Prophets mean” takes many needless hours. So your choices are either to gain a shoddy understanding of the OT, ignore it altogether, or spend hundreds of hours understanding the references only to come away with no spiritual development.

The best parts of Christianity, and I think what really nails people to the religion, are the sayings of Jesus and the Life of Jesus. Jesus is this “all in one” package of spiritually and you can read His Life like a book. This is beautiful. His sayings, the ones that aren’t steeped in unnecessary numerology and Old Testament allusion, are similarly beautiful. The miracles are okay, really only demonstrating truths symbolically. The Psalms are beautiful, and very spiritually advantageous, I should add. The rest of the Old Testament can truthfully be ignored, except perhaps Ecclesiastes, Job.

It just seems to me that any time a religion has to spend teaching you frivolous allusions and cultural idioms is completely wasteful. You have limited hours to spend in acquiring wisdom and righteousness, why waste any on it on triviality?

And see, the Holiest of Saints have always eschewed the unnecessary and sought only a Bond with Christ, and meditation on His lessons. No Saint ever spent time mulling over worthless allusion.

>> No.17805597

>>17805591
It was quite efficient in ruining Rome at least.

>> No.17805619

>>17805591
Can anyone seriously say that reading Chronicles or learning about Leviticus is more spiritually beneficial than reading the work of Plato, or even Shakespeare?

>> No.17805629

>>17805619
No, both bible and quran are dull

>> No.17805633
File: 907 KB, 1024x685, Jacques-Ellul.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17805591
>“inefficient”

>> No.17805651

>>17805591
>inefficient

>> No.17805658

>>17805633
Yes, as in how Jesus spoke. Jesus spoke efficiently, not wasting any time with worthless legalism and pedantry. His Sermon and His Parables are the most efficient moral teachings the world has known, it is one bread capable of feeding 5000.

The rest of the Bible, though...

>> No.17805673

>>17805591
>Christians are stuck with an out-dated Old Testament that is hyper-specific to symbolic Jewish literary culture
>The best parts of Christianity, and I think what really nails people to the religion, are the sayings of Jesus and the Life of Jesus. Jesus is this “all in one” package of spiritually and you can read His Life like a book.
Good observations, the answer is that Jesus is a buddha-like figure who overturned stale judaistic religion. That's fine and there's good to be found in that, but just like buddhism is spiritually tied to south/east-asian religion, christianity is tied to judaism. We (Europeans) are not jews, therefore christianity is not for us, despite all the truths it may embody. It's meant for people with the jewish spirit.

>> No.17805679

>>17805597
fpbp

>> No.17805688

>>17805591
Do you believe that Christ rose from the dead?

>> No.17805704

>>17805591
A Christian can be saved only by believing in the Creed and repenting from his sins before dying. He doesn't even need to know how to read. That's a 400% efficiency.

>> No.17805720

>>17805688
But I believe that it not merely literal, but also allegorical.

>> No.17805721

None if it ever made much sense to me. Even the gospels seem utterly alien to me.

>> No.17805724

>>17805704
>A Christian can be saved only by believing in the Creed
sauce on this? doesn't sound like what god said
>repenting from his sins before dying
is this actually a requirement? sauce?

>> No.17806067

>>17805720
Well yes of course. The point I wanted to make is that if Christ rose from the dead, then Christianity is true and Scripture is part of God's revelation to man. Calling God's revelation inefficient is nonsense. I'm not even sure what is meant by it. Inefficient at the salvation of souls? Anyway, it's like the anon above said. An illiterate fisherman can repent and believe.

>> No.17806068

>>17805704
What creed to believe?

>> No.17806111

>>17806067
God Himself knows the OT was inefficient, that’s why He had come into the world. Jesus criticized the OT as too literalistic and legalistic. We read this all throughout the Gospel including when He chastised His Apostles for not understanding that the loaves were immaterial.

And guess what? Most Christians today believe the loaves were literally just loaves. Their hearts are hardened. And it’s because Religion has once again become literalist and legalist. Having eyes they do not see.

And so, even for the purposes of coming closer to Christ, Christianity is unsuited for the task. Which is why only Evangelicals now have a relationship to Jesus, and why Catholics are unpracticing.

Essentially, I think we fucked up, and there’s a better way to bring people to understand Jesus.

>> No.17806244
File: 16 KB, 340x285, vico[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17805591
If you open a pop physics textbook you already know the gist of it without reading it. The big bang created the universe, we are all atoms, bla bla. This is the world picture of the scientific rationalist age. It is our understanding of the universe, one which everyone today knows without knowing much about the details. Stories like this are how humans make sense of the world. Every society has a great myth that attempts to explain the machinations of the world and the place of humanity in it. Meticulous details are a backdrop to the myth. Only the bards of ancient Greece knew the epics off by heart, the average person just had a general idea of it. The Bible was just such an epic for the Jews. Is Christianity stuck with a Jewish founding myth? No, because it became the mythical backdrop of Christianity which itself became the founding myth of European civilization until the age of rationalism.

>> No.17806382

>>17806111
>God Himself knows the OT was inefficient, that’s why He had come into the world
The OT was not inefficient. It was unfulfilled. It's not as if God called an audible all of a sudden and sent His Son. This was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. Christ has always been there. You can see Augustine for a lot of this: "The New is in the old concealed, the Old is in the New revealed." Whatever you're saying sounds like Marcionism or something.

>Jesus criticized the OT
Hold up there, chief. Christ never criticized the Scriptures. He criticized men and corrected their understanding of it.

>And guess what? Most Christians today believe the loaves were literally just loaves.
If the gist of your argument is that the Church is doing a poor job evangelizing, fine. That's a problem of prelates, not of the Faith itself.

It really just seems that you're advocating the formation of a heretical sect based upon some private interpretation of the Gospel. That's been done plenty of times by men with the same ideas. They are right and the Church is wrong. They have the true understanding. K.

>> No.17806406

>>17806382
>you're advocating the formation of a heretical sect based upon some private interpretation of the Gospel

If it leads more people to righteousness, yes.

>> No.17806561

>>17805673
>We Europeans
Semiticism afflicts other people too you bigot.

>> No.17806795

>>17806561
Sure but most most people here who are Christians are European or Euro-descendants.

>> No.17808028

Bump