[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 188 KB, 869x910, marco lombardo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17762700 No.17762700 [Reply] [Original]

Brother, the world is blind, and you come from the world. You living ones continue to assign to heaven every cause, as if it were the necessary source of every motion. If this were so, then your free will would be destroyed, and there would be no equity in joy for doing good, in grief for evil. The heavens set your appetites in motion; not all your appetites, but even if that were the case, you have received both light on good and evil, and free will, which though it struggle in its first wars with the heavens, then conquers all, if it has been well nurtured. On greater power and a better nature, you, who are free, depend; that Force engenders the mind in you, outside the heavens' sway. Thus, if the present world has gone astray, in you is the cause, in you it's to be sought; and now I'll serve as your true exegete.

Issuing from His hands, the soul, on which He thought with love before creating it, is like a child who weeps and laughs in sport; that soul is simple, unaware; but since a joyful Maker gave it motion, it turns willingly to things that bring delight. At first it savors trivial goods; these would beguile the soul, and it runs after them, unless there's a guide or rein to rule its love. Therefore, one needed law to serve as curb; a ruler, too, was needed, one who could discern at least the tower of the true city.

The laws exist, but who applies them now? No one, the shepherd who precedes his flock can chew the cud but does not have cleft hooves; and thus the people, who can see their guide, snatch only at that good for which they feel some greed, would feed on that and seek no further. Misrule, you see, has caused the world to be malevolent; your nature is not corrupt, not prey to any fatal astral force. For Rome, which made the world good, used to have two suns; and they made visible two paths: the world's path and the pathway that is God's. One has eclipsed the other; now the sword has joined the shepherd's crook; the two together must of necessity result in evil, because so joined, one need not fear the other: and if you doubt me, watch the fruit and flower, for every plant is known by what it seeds.

>> No.17763809
File: 1.17 MB, 2400x3183, Carlyle painted by John Everett Millais.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17762700
Bump.

>I do not agree with much modern criticism, in greatly preferring the Inferno to the two other parts of the Divine Commedia. Such preference belongs, I imagine, to our general Byronism of taste, and is like to be a transient feeling. The Purgatorio and Paradiso, especially the former, one would almost say, is even more excellent than it. It is a noble thing that Purgatorio, "Mountain of Purification;" an emblem of the noblest conception of that age. If sin is so fatal, and Hell is and must be so rigorous, awful, yet in Repentance too is man purified; Repentance is the grand Christian act. It is beautiful how Dante works it out. The tremolar dell' onde, that "trembling" of the ocean-waves, under the first pure gleam of morning, dawning afar on the wandering Two, is as the type of an altered mood. Hope has now dawned; never-dying Hope, if in company still with heavy sorrow. The obscure sojourn of demons and reprobate is underfoot; a soft breathing of penitence mounts higher and higher, to the Throne of Mercy itself. "Pray for me," the denizens of that Mount of Pain all say to him. "Tell my Giovanna to pray for me," my daughter Giovanna; "I think her mother loves me no more!" They toil painfully up by that winding steep, "bent down like corbels of a building," some of them,—crushed together so "for the sin of pride;" yet nevertheless in years, in ages and aeons, they shall have reached the top, which is heaven's gate, and by Mercy shall have been admitted in. The joy too of all, when one has prevailed; the whole Mountain shakes with joy, and a psalm of praise rises, when one soul has perfected repentance and got its sin and misery left behind! I call all this a noble embodiment of a true noble thought.

>> No.17764075
File: 27 KB, 510x340, 1261125976090.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17762700
>believing this dumb shit

>> No.17764086

>For Rome,
why are christshits so obsessed with rome? didn't romans kill jesus?

>> No.17764092

>>17764086
Jews killed Jesus. Rome was washed of any guilt, and later became a convert.

>> No.17764115

>>17764092
literal cope made up by early christcucks so romans would stop killing them LMAO

>> No.17764119

>>17764115
Wow, you definitely understand Christianity!

>> No.17764133

>>17764119
wow, you're a fucking retard!

>> No.17764201
File: 646 KB, 456x497, 1301672696763.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17764086
>why would Roman (and thus later: Italian) Catholics be so obsessed with their civilization's historical symbolism
i don't know

>> No.17764253

>>17764133
Shut up with your sassy effeminate bitching, you literally asked "Hurr durr why do Christians like Rome, they must be stupid because of it!"

Like, you stupid nigger, that's not even an insult. You're just retarded and understanding absolutely nothing of what you're talking about.

>> No.17764458

Is there a best translation for Dante? Where do I start

>> No.17765478

>>17764458
Many seem to like Longfellow.