[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 480x640, 1614550672260.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17667549 No.17667549 [Reply] [Original]

"As technology progresses, the relation between science and technology undergoes a change. Science becomes the servant of technology. It is a symptom of this shift of power that the scientist becomes increasingly an employee in the institutes and laboratories of industry, where his knowledge is exploited for technical uses. The disciplines of science become auxiliary disciplines of technology, and they fare the better the more willingly they submit to this role. “Pure science" declines because the important thing is no longer an understanding of the laws of nature, but, first of all, the application, the uses, the exploitation, of those laws. Discovery and invention are today the handmaids of this exploitation. Therefore, if today inventors are called upon and exhorted to give new proofs of their genius, to forge ahead, to deliver more quickly, the purpose is to increase the pillage of the earth through a rationalization of the methods of plunder."

>> No.17667576

"There is a type of intelligence which might be termed naked. In it reason considers itself absolute and refuses to admit any concepts not established by itself. All non-intellectual concepts are held to be unreasonable and are discarded. All our perceptions are put to this test. In this process, all that cannot be resolved and explained by reason is eliminated. It is precisely by this methodical effort that our knowledge becomes scientific. Man's knowledge of nature becomes "pure" and "exact" to the extent that his relations are limited to reason. By this effort science has grown to its present stature and has evolved the methods by which to transform the world and to supply mankind with keys that unlock the treasures of nature. However, by the very same process, science ruins itself, for, since reason implies the faculty of making distinctions, scientific progress marches straight toward disintegration. Science is compelled to split up into more and more disciplines and its claim to universality is destroyed by the growing isolation resulting from its concentration on minutiae. In place of the great concepts which stand at the beginning of scientific development in which intuition held mastery over reason, we find the mechanical, antlike industry characteristic of modern laboratories – that nakedly utilitarian cleverness which aims to trap the phenomena of nature. The scientist, now in possession of a tremendous arsenal of tools, begins to squeeze and torture nature and to compel it by the use of force to reveal its secrets."

>> No.17667644
File: 158 KB, 406x395, I TRIED TO WARN YOU.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> THE ‘BAD’ PARTS OF TECHNOLOGY CANNOT BE SEPARATED FROM THE ‘GOOD’ PARTS

> 121. A further reason why industrial society cannot be reformed in favor of freedom is that modern technology is a unified system in which all parts are dependent on one another. You can’t get rid of the “bad” parts of technology and retain only the “good” parts. Take modern medicine, for example. Progress in medical science depends on progress in chemistry, physics, biology, computer science and other fields. Advanced medical treatments require expensive, high-tech equipment that can be made available only by a technologically progressive, economically rich society. Clearly you can’t have much progress in medicine without the whole technological system and everything that goes with it.

> 122. Even if medical progress could be maintained without the rest of the technological system, it would by itself bring certain evils. Suppose for example that a cure for diabetes is discovered. People with a genetic tendency to diabetes will then be able to survive and reproduce as well as anyone else. Natural selection against genes for diabetes will cease and such genes will spread throughout the population. (This may be occurring to some extent already, since diabetes, while not curable, can be controlled through use of insulin.) The same thing will happen with many other diseases susceptibility to which is affected by genetic degradation of the population. The only solution will be some sort of eugenics program or extensive genetic engineering of human beings, so that man in the future will no longer be a creation of nature, or of chance, or of God (depending on your religious or philosophical opinions), but a manufactured product.

> 123. If you think that big government interferes in your life too much NOW, just wait till the government starts regulating the genetic constitution of your children. Such regulation will inevitably follow the introduction of genetic engineering of human beings, because the consequences of unregulated genetic engineering would be disastrous. [19]

>> No.17667648
File: 513 KB, 1859x1070, Ted Kaczynski wojak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> 124. The usual response to such concerns is to talk about “medical ethics.” But a code of ethics would not serve to protect freedom in the face of medical progress; it would only make matters worse. A code of ethics applicable to genetic engineering would be in effect a means of regulating the genetic constitution of human beings. Somebody (probably the upper-middle class, mostly) would decide that such and such applications of genetic engineering were “ethical” and others were not, so that in effect they would be imposing their own values on the genetic constitution of the population at large. Even if a code of ethics were chosen on a completely democratic basis, the majority would be imposing their own values on any minorities who might have a different idea of what constituted an “ethical” use of genetic engineering. The only code of ethics that would truly protect freedom would be one that prohibited ANY genetic engineering of human beings, and you can be sure that no such code will ever be applied in a technological society. No code that reduced genetic engineering to a minor role could stand up for long, because the temptation presented by the immense power of biotechnology would be irresistible, especially since to the majority of people many of its applications will seem obviously and unequivocally good (eliminating physical and mental diseases, giving people the abilities they need to get along in today’s world). Inevitably, genetic engineering will be used extensively, but only in ways consistent with the needs of the industrial- technological system. [20]

>> No.17668833

...such is my awful Vision.

I see the Four-fold Man. The Humanity in deadly sleep
And its fallen Emanation. The Spectre & its cruel Shadow.
I see the Past, Present & Future, existing all at once
Before me; O Divine Spirit sustain me on thy wings!
That I may awake Albion from His long & cold repose.
For Bacon & Newton sheathd in dismal steel, their terrors hang
Like iron scourges over Albion, Reasonings like vast Serpents
Infold around my limbs, bruising my minute articulations

I turn my eyes to the Schools & Universities of Europe
And there behold the Loom of Locke whose Woof rages dire
Washd by the Water-wheels of Newton. black the cloth
In heavy wreathes folds over every Nation; cruel Works
Of many Wheels I View, wheel without wheel, with cogs tyrannic
Moving by compulsion each other: not as those in Eden: which
Wheel within Wheel in freedom revolve in harmony & peace.

“In the age of reason, faith yet remains supreme; for reason is one of the articles of faith. The problem of knowledge is an outer shell underneath which lies another philosophical problem---the problem of VALUES… A scientist should recognize in his philosophy … that for the ultimate justification of his activity it is necessary to look, away from the knowledge itself, to a striving in man’s nature, not to be justified of science or reason, for it is itself the justification of science, of reason, or art, of conduct.”

>> No.17669112
File: 813 KB, 500x405, 1604467698504.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17667549
>that picture
Entropy personified. Or I'm just becoming schizofrenic. Whatever it is, I have long lost the ability to understand, or to relate to, the world around me. If the priest at the church used unbearable cringe as a metaphor for hell (instead of flames and whatnot) then I would've become the most pious of all.

>> No.17669934

>>17667549
No one has absolute power, genetic engineering will rise all over the world the moment a bump to its progress is leaked, you cannot control everything, limitations of the scope of governments, groups, and secret organizations will globalize it, the new great filter has arise and we will live to see it

>> No.17670104

bump

>> No.17670770

>>17667549
I swear once you've read one of these anti technology philosophers you've read them all. They're all the same.

>> No.17670920

>>17667648
>Ted Kaczynski wojak.png
you fags are insufferable

>> No.17670926

>>17670920
Is there a wojak for people that can't help but make wojaks for everything? Like a woojaker or something?

>> No.17671080

>>17670770
He's not anti-tech. You got filtered.

>> No.17671402

>>17670770
>I swear once you've read one of these anti technology philosophers you've read them all.
The topic of technology has barely been touched by proper thinkers.
It is sad seeing how people like Heidegger, Spengler, Elllul apprach the topic.
And to make it even more depressing contemporary attempts at properly tackling the issue like Skribna are pathetically bad, the only place to specifically study the issue is in STS degrees which are usually only offered at more technical universities and therefore the courses are really shallow and practice oriented.
My last hope will be in Yuk Hui, but I have my doubts.
When Ted is your poster thinker there really aren't a lot of proper thinkers in the field.

>> No.17671415

>>17671402
>Yuk Hui
Don't waste your time.

>> No.17671456

>>17671415
I ordered both his books already.
It actually seems really erudite and in depth at least. R-right?

>> No.17671730
File: 11 KB, 172x293, AC20F4CE-D1A7-4742-A9E2-5EA375C7DAC0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts?

>> No.17671757

>>17667644
this is literally like middle schooler wrote it, this guy is fucking retarded

every single complaint he has is caused by the jew and he won't admit it because he is exactly what he criticizes and doesn't understand - a jew

>> No.17671799
File: 296 KB, 670x645, 02C423C1-9A1E-46CC-B829-546D315649CC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can i ask for serious replies from all the anti-tech niggas in the thread: What the fuck is your proposed solution? Just ditch my family and friends, give up my job and stable income and hope for a family or career or kids, and live in some wooden shack with no air conditioning or electricity? Just to what, stick it to some big tech company??

>> No.17671870

>>17670770
You can tell many lies, but there is only one truth

>> No.17671887

>>17671799
No, just like the Guenon, Evola and Spengler posters the solution is "do nothing its too late just cope XD" i.e. they're completely useless, don't waste your time with these retards they're just nihilists that are too autistic for proper nihilism

>> No.17671985

>>17671027
Continue

>> No.17672123

>>17671985
AHAHAHAH they really removed your thread after I called it out.
Based Mods, actually doing something good for once.

>> No.17672649

>>17671799
>Just ditch my family and friends, give up my job and stable income and hope for a family or career or kids, and live in some wooden shack with no air conditioning or electricity?
Would be based even if family didn't want to come along.
What's your solution? Just drink the shitwater?

>> No.17672693

>>17671799
There is no solution, just cope.

>> No.17674020

Test

>> No.17674616

>>17671799
>proposed solution
um anti tech revolution?

>> No.17674817

amongus