[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 311x468, Rf9bfcb518df01c6ff0ed9dfebfd43dc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17598795 No.17598795 [Reply] [Original]

"There is also kinship between the clown and the dictator, a system of mutual bonds. Where the ruler separates himself from the fool, even kills him, his grotesque traits penetrate him. The tyrant liquidates people and classes, the clown possibly an age. Where the anarchist attack reaches anonymous strata, it provokes a suicidal laughter. "Chaplin bakes with dynamite.""

>> No.17598810

I think his use of German symbols and myth is really interesting given his alleged conversion to Catholicism before his death.

>> No.17598913

>>17598810
Where can i read about his conversion?

>> No.17598914

I had planned to begin my notes on The Worker this week, but I find that a lot of time gets wasted just trying to keep these threads alive, and then they can die within hours anyways. The last effort threads I made died three times. So the anon who suggested a forum for this was completely right, and the state of /lit/ demands something different as well.
I spent the last few days trying to set up a site and forum. There we can discuss The Worker without interruption. And hopefully build a good forum for literature in general.
My own goal is to be involved in a literary 'movement' or at least something resembling a serious group. Posts concerning the rebirth of romanticism, or just intellectualism in general, suggest that others are looking for the same thing. Please keep this in mind if you are looking to join.

>> No.17598940

>>17598810
I think his conversion was mostly for ceremonial reasons.

>> No.17598958

>>17598913
Ernst Jünger - Anarch und Katholik - ein verspäteter Epilog zu meinem Buch "Katechon" und "Anarch by Bernd Laska. I don’t where you can read about it English but I’m sure it’s been documented somewhere.

>> No.17598967

>>17598940
That seems rather unlikely to me. What would make you say that?

>> No.17599018

>>17598967
Because he said "I am no Christian."
And it's the only reason that works with his philosophy. Jünger wasn't exactly the type to abandon his own character, to say the least.
Catholic rites have a sense of power to them, and also peace. So it would be the most fitting funeral given the situation.

>> No.17599138
File: 144 KB, 800x1157, Forumtest.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17598914
It's a bit cluttered, I'll likely combine a few sections to pare it down. Let me know if there is anything you think should be added.
One of the big problems with forums is messageboardism, so I'll likely remove images and avatars, emojis and that trash.
May keep the discrimination message for reasons. Would like it to be higher level discussion rather than free speech, although some element of that is needed now that free speech is being denied to people over the simplest things. The forum may have to be hidden as well, but discussion of anything illegal is likely unwise given our situation.

>> No.17599299

>>17599018
Given he is also a Westerner, and the place Catholicism has had for the West for so long.

>> No.17599309

>>17599018
He said “I am no Christian” before he became a Christian. I don’t think his conversion was insincere or a matter of mere convenience. I suspect he became a believer in his later years.

>> No.17599339

>Krieger > Nichtnazi > Waldgänger > Anarch > Katholik
>Warrior> Non-Nazi> Forest Walker> Anarch> Catholic

Preddy based.

>> No.17599419

>>17599309
Based on what? Because you believe?
It doesn't fit with his philosophy or character.

>> No.17599613
File: 127 KB, 799x981, Forum2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17599138

>> No.17599630

>>17599309
Religion in Jünger's thought is secondary to mythology, the numinous, and metaphysical laws. And is even seen as a weakening.

>> No.17600338

>>17599613
https://derschattigewald.org/litforum/index.php
If anyone wants to join please post your username here, and when registering use mandalietmandaliet as referral.
I will only allow a few registrations at a time to start.

>> No.17600368

>>17599419
Based on my reading of Jünger and his life. I don’t think it makes much sense to say he must have believed X because he wrote X 30 years before as if people exist in a vacuum. I also just don’t agree at all that it’s at odds with his thinking.

>> No.17600414

>>17600368
>Based on my reading of Jünger and his life.
Any examples of what leads you to this thinking?
And he didn't write it 30 years earlier, it was only a few years before his death.

>> No.17600931

Anyone know anything about publishing? Or would anyone be interested in digital versions of Jünger's essays?

>> No.17601247

Bump

>> No.17602705

Bump

>> No.17603516 [DELETED] 

Bump

>> No.17603554

"Since the tree demands veneration, it has its strongest effect where man, through his art, creates the free space it deserves. This cannot happen overnight. Whoever plants a tree is thinking for grandchildren and great-grandchildren. This includes a caring sense that goes beyond daily consumption and quick use, even beyond one's own life and death. It continues; we feel it in the tranquility, the peace that makes us happy in an old park. The ancestors have thought of us. We enter into them, remove ourselves from the circles of chasing, threatening time. We feel peace, even in decay. Nuthatches and woodpeckers nest in the hollow trunks, mushrooms settle on the rotten wood, reddish-brown dust trickles from the wormholes. We stroke the bark of the old brother; he has seen tournaments and was already stately when Columbus armed the caravels. There is stronger, dreaming life, and our life itself with its temporal worries becomes a dream. What may remain of them before another century passes?

If, after a period of unlimited use, we protect and cherish the tree, and especially the old tree, we do no more than our duty. This service is not like that of an invalid whom we allow a number of good days in hospital before he retires. In fact, it is not we who protect the tree: it is the tree that gives us its protection. We are allowed to enter it. The old oak, the old lime, the old ash that we honour is a symbol that represents not only the tree of life but also the tree of the world. By not daring to touch them, we testify that the inviolable is honoured and endures. This then also gives meaning and justice to our world and life order. That is why sacrifices had to be made in the past before a tree was felled."

>> No.17604635

B

>> No.17604901 [DELETED] 

>>17600931
Bumping

>> No.17606471 [DELETED] 

B