[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 621x414, pepe-kkx--621x414@LiveMint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17589334 No.17589334 [Reply] [Original]

Is it a cope when Muslims talk about "context" or "mistranslation" in English/foreign versions of the Quran or is there some truth to it? If so, why create a defilement of Allah's word?

>> No.17589350

It's both
The Qur'an is THE Arabic text if there ever was one
But what is often skimped on by Muslims is that Arabic is a very fluid language
There is a meme amongst Arabist scholars that every word in Arabic means what it means, its opposite and cow

>> No.17589370

>>17589334
I mean the translation just isn't at the level of the original, but not everyone can learn Arabic, so as long as you do research about the way translations are done and, in cases of disagreement over the translation of a word in particular, look into what the original was communicating, you're fine.

>> No.17589405

>>17589350
>But what is often skimped on by Muslims is that Arabic is a very fluid language
Yeah that's why imo literalists are totally coming at the text with the wrong approach

>> No.17589414

>>17589334
It's taqueria and they're lying to you

>> No.17589424

>>17589405
>Yeah that's why imo literalists are totally coming at the text with the wrong approach
The simple truth is the word of god is literal, there's no way around that. Now what it is he exactly meant we have to see on a case by case basis.

>> No.17589447

>>17589414
Unless you're pointing a gun at someone's head asking whether or not the translation of the Quran is good enough to understand it, I doubt Shias (who are the only Muslims who use the concept prominently, as I found out when I was a young lad and got into an argument with my father because I didn't realize at the time that Sunnis don't usually believe taqiyya is still applicable) will use taqiyya on you. But of course, I'd love to hear of your deceit and lies as well, anti-Islam poster, so tell me why I'm coping or whatever.

>> No.17589465

>>17589424
But this then leads to doctrines that contradict tawhid, like literally interpreting the verses about God having something akin to a body, which confines God to a finite form (the literal reason we believe God cannot be incarnated into a human human form is to avoid this, as it is associating God with a finite form).

>> No.17589474

>>17589447
that SOME Sunnis*
Tbf, I could not be aware of some small group that still uses it, but it's not a mainstream opinion among Sunnis. I apologize for the oversight.

>> No.17589510

>>17589465
>like literally interpreting the verses about God having something akin to a body, which confines God to a finite form
At that specific point in time and space in one ayah God is portrayed as having something akin to a body, but it doesn't bound him to that time, same way it doesn't bound him to just that time and space.
>But this then leads to doctrines that contradict tawhid
I don't see how it does, but I'm willing to see more examples to the contrary.

>> No.17589521

>>17589510
>but it doesn't bound him to that time, same way it doesn't bound him to just that time and space.
meant to say doesn't bound him to that body