[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 249x406, n19408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1757333 No.1757333 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

I'm looking for the best survivalist/post-apocalyptic novels. Pick related. Started with the series and now I want more. Any suggestions?

>> No.1757418

The Road

Not sure if this qualifies, but The Stand by King. Post-everyone dies from a disease oh shit religious overtones? fuck nigger 100 converging plots and awesome shit-apocolypse genre

>> No.1757423

The Turner Diaries.

>> No.1757539

/thread

>> No.1757562

>>1757418
God am I tired of people drooling over The Road. The writing and atmosphere were great, but it was retardedly GRIM AND DARK AND DARK AND GRIM.

Why would no one attempt to set up civilization, like a defended town or something? Did hydroponics just stop working somehow to produce food? What about windmills to produce power? A man working by himself can make a simple windmill and get electricity running.

Why was that one dude making women get pregnant so he could eat the babies? That makes absolutely no fucking sense - you lose more food than you get from the baby by making it in the first place.

And did it seem to anyone else that McCarthy just hit a wall writing-wise when he had them find the survivalist bunker with the food and toilet? I mean, it feels like he literally threw everything at them for them to live comfortably because he had no way of getting them out of that situation alive. Felt unbelievably hacked out, at the time.

Just my two cents. Well written book, but man. If you think about it, it all seems so retarded in retrospect.

>> No.1757567

>>1757562

as a fan of the book points a and b strike me as valid, but c is grasping at straws -- if you don't think survivalism is a downright massive trend in contemporary american society you need to hear more talk radio

dat seed bank

>> No.1757570

The Stand is pretty decent
Oryx and Crake is as well, although it spends quite a lot of time just pre-apoc.

>> No.1757572

Dhalgren! It's pretty fucking great. It's long though, I hear it's difficult for a lot of people to get through. Worth it if I do say so myself, though.

>> No.1757577

>>1757567
Oh, no, I know that survivalist bunkers are really out there. That's not what I was saying.

I was just saying it was awfully convenient that the father and the boy found one when it was literally the ONE thing that could've kept them alive given their present situation. I know such bunkers are out there, but they're less than a mote of dust in a haystack. The odds of finding one EXACTLY when you need one are beyond astronomical.

Completely killed my suspension of disbelief.

>> No.1757581

>>1757577
Agreed. Felt just the same way when I read it.

>> No.1757926

>>1757333

THe postman is not too bad, even if the main character is a bit of a pussy.

>> No.1757930

Swan Song
Lucifer's Hammer
A Canticle for Liebowitz
Dust
This is the Way the World Will End
Farnham's Freehold

Let me get a couple of cups of coffee in me and I'll try and think of more I've read that I liked. My dad has a pretty massive library of this stuff, and I was kind of raised on it.

>> No.1758050
File: 254 KB, 800x640, 1303320807534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Stand by Stephen King
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Metro 2033 Dmitry Glukhovsky
World War Z by Max Brooks
I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison (<- Short story)

The above works are the only ones I have read that belong in the "post apoc" genre.

I liked them all and if I had to choose, I'd say Metro 2033 was my favorite.

>> No.1758061

Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Great story if average prose. Tracks the history of post-apoc from complete devastation to the rebuilding.

>> No.1758081

I think the classic apocalypse/post-apocalypse book is On the Beach. Not that I've actually read it, though...

>> No.1758091

>>1758050

World War Z reminded me of Warday, Strieber and Kunetka. Epistolary journey through the US after a limited nuclear war. Great stuff, and WWZ was inspired by this book.

Alas, Babylon is sort if the grandfather of post apoc, but it's a little dated now, not to mention scientifically inaccurate.

Someone will inevitably suggest The Hunger Games. Don't. That book is awful.

Black Easter is a fun one.

Dr. Bloodmoney is a good one by PK Dick.

Be back later with EVEN MOAR.

>> No.1758316

>>1758081

that is more about impending doom, in the beach there are no survivors, so it is about the Aussies living for the last couple of months before they all die.

Really really sad.

>> No.1758395

Oh, shit. Idlewild. It's sequel is more survivalist, but you have to read the first for its mindfuck before you hit up Edenborn.