[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 310x436, general871.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1755530 No.1755530 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/, I was thinking about reading this book (A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man) but I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. I just started getting back to reading this year and so far I've read : A Farewell to Arms, Candide, 1984, and The Old Man and The Sea.

Do you can I'll be able to understand this book, or will it be 2deep4me?

If I'm not ready for it yet, then could you please recommend me something based on what I've read. I'm mostly trying to read classics.

Thank You

>> No.1755531

It's pretty readable. The only had part is the very long middle scene about hell. That's tough. It's a nice easy entry level book.

>> No.1755539

I don't read much and I don't know shit about literature, but I read this one and liked it.

>> No.1755543

It's not nearly as esoteric as Ulysses can be, I think.
You should be fine.

>> No.1755546

>>1755531
Portrait of an artist is one of the hardest books out there to read.Only second to some other of joyce's work.Definitely not entry tier.

>> No.1755551

Mmm, not too sure what to think from these replies but thanks anyway. I think I'll give it a try though.

>> No.1755553

Portrait is easy enough. Pay attention to allusions and read up a bit on Irish history of the nineteenth century and you'll be fine.

>> No.1755557

>>1755546
You're kidding, right? Okay, maybe not entry level, maybe more mid level. But this book isn't hard. It's completely and relentlessly readable.

>> No.1755559

It's certainly one of Joyce's more readable works (second only to 'Dubliners', in my experience), but far from 'accessible'. I didn't find it particularly enthralling, although I was generally aware of its literary merit. You don't really need to worry about missing out on obscure literary allusions - there are few, and a lot of them concern the popular works of Lord Byron - rather familiarise yourself with modern Irish History; you'll need to know your Parnell from your Carson.

>> No.1755563

>>1755557
>relentlessly readable

>> No.1755566

Op here, well I only have 4 weeks left of school and I don't think I'll have time to learn about Irish history and then read this. Is A Brave New World a better alternative?

>> No.1755570

http://bookstove.com/book-talk/a-short-and-friendly-introduction-to-james-joyce/

>> No.1755571

>>1755566
I started reading Portrait a couple weeks ago and couldn't get through it, so I picked up Brave New World and so far it's pretty terrible, although that's just my opinion.

>> No.1755575

>>1755570
You're a godsend. I'll read Dubliners first then.

>> No.1756601

get a good version of the book with footnotes and you will be fine

>> No.1756882

>>1756601
>implying Joyce's prose is difficult
>implying you're not retarded
>implying footnotes aren't a waste of time for an intelligent reader
>implying meaning can be extracted from works