[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 238x350, naked lunch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1751433 No.1751433 [Reply] [Original]

Current reading this book; and wow, this is some novel... It's visceral, disturbing, occasionally beautiful, humorous, incoherent... and pretty fucking sweet. I love the part in Annexia where the subjects from the R.C. are released... It is an absolutely ridiculous scene... My only question is the relevance between people getting fucked then hanged (or vice versa), I mean is there any sort of symbolism here? It has shown up a couple times... But yeah, how you you all feel about this book and Burroughs in general?

>> No.1751449

Burroughs claimed that the significance of the asphyxiation scenes was to satirize capital punishment as a form of sexual entertainment. This is my favorite dystopian novel, and I think it addresses the order of society more completely than any of the others.

>> No.1751464

>>1751449
Hey thanks for clearing that up.. And yeah, I must say, this is much less dry than 1984 was at times (the last dystopian novel I read, still a good book though).

>> No.1751471

>>1751464
Yeah, if I were to compare it to 1984, I would say that Naked Lunch addresses the chaotic factors of power much better (basically, in 1984 power is given this very stable character whereas Burroughs shows power for its absurdity and incompetence and really I think this is more true to life--also, he attacks all forms of government and organization as serving the same ends whereas 1984 only discusses the obvious totalitarian forms of power). your thread made me want to read it again, so thanks because it always cheers me up.