[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 600x620, C7178EBD-16E3-4F4D-B1E1-1B8E36D6B1CC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17510828 No.17510828 [Reply] [Original]

>gravitating towards reactionism and traditionalism
>despite that the pursuit of authenticity is an explicitly modern pursuit which would be incomprehensible in the very era you try to emulate
What’s the name of this paradox? The paradox of the traditionalist?

>> No.17510857

Yes, also known by other names such as the retard dilemma, the knuckle dragger conundrum, and the nincompoop quandry.

>> No.17510862

>>17510828
>the pursuit of authenticity is an explicitly modern pursuit which would be incomprehensible in the very era you try to emulate
Yeah I don't think this is true though I've seen a lot of people say this to own the trads. there is a whole lot of larping in the Western canon about the past, Western Euros about Greeks/Romans, the Romans about Greeks, the Greeks about their own mythic golden age, etc.

>> No.17510911

>>17510828
>push trad life for the masses
>Do what you want on your own time
I don't see how this is at odds with itself.

>> No.17510915

>>17510828
>>despite that the pursuit of authenticity is an explicitly modern pursuit which would be incomprehensible in the very era you try to emulate
You are amazing wrong. All of history has someone complaining about corruption and degradation.

>> No.17511048

>>17510828
If progress is an illusion (it is), then so is degeneration. Neither exist, the universe is staying the same while we think we are moving it.

>> No.17511240

>>17511048
Very profound, anon!!

>> No.17511506

>>17510828
I don't know, the Romantics and Classicists arguably LARPed way more as the Ancients than anything that exists today. The only one who truly got their spirit was Hölderlin because he believed in the Gods and their eventual return.

>> No.17511719

>>17510828
Seems smart to someone ignorant but is in fact a psued argument. Even the most shallow dive into history reveals that emulating past trends and reviving old traditions and attempting to recapture some lost age imagined to be more enlightened is incredible common in all cultures throughout history. I mean, just look at how beards are popular among East Orthodox Christian priests whereas catholic priests are all clean shaven. It wasn’t always this way. Catholic priests started to normalize clean shaven faces in the early medieval as a way to recapture the Roman ideal, whereas beards were gradually seen as “eastern” and “alien” in priests. Beards were slowly otherized as East orthodox after the schism and eventually many of the tropes referring to a “foreign, bearded enemy of Catholicism” was transferred into anti Semitic tropes which only became solidified into a coherent stereotype well into the medieval era. Romans would try to mimic Greeks, Protestants sought to return to a “true Christianity before catholic tradition built up”, and Wahhabism seeks to restore “early Islam” and was in many ways an Arab cope to the fact that nonarabic Turkish and Persian states dominated much of the Islamic world at the time.

>> No.17511742

>>17511719
Also just look up Petrarch and Boccaccio who did everything they could think of to larp as ancient romans in the medieval era.