[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 141 KB, 525x788, mistborn-vin-christian-mcgrath-art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1749641 No.1749641 [Reply] [Original]

So /lit/ what are some good High fantasy novels. Right now I'm on a Brandon Sanderson kick having read Warbreaker, Way of the Kings, and currently enjoying Mistborn. For me a big thing is how magic is use in the novel, Brandon Sanderson has a knack for making magic systems that are cool but explainable within the context of the story.

>> No.1749642

the first Amber series by roger zelazny. Nine Princes in Amber is the first. buckle and up and settle in for the ride...

>> No.1749647

The Long Price quartet has a system wherein poets imprison concepts into servants (literally imprison, they fucking hate the poets). The epic feel of high fantasy doesn't really kick in until the third book, though, but don't let that stop you.
Prince of Nothing has a kick-ass system that has a basis in metaphysics. Personally I think this is the coolest I've come across.
Jack Vance coined the D&D approach in his Dying Earth series. They're more S&S than high, though.
Melanie Rawn had a system where people used the sun for their magic (and others could use the moon)
Wheel of Time has a good magic system despite its faults.