[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 490x610, Lautréamont.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17410423 No.17410423 [Reply] [Original]

Recommend me writers or books that are in the style of Baudelaire's flowers of evil, Rimbaud's A Season in Hell, the songs of Maldoror by the Count of Lautréamont, The poetry of Alejandra Pizarnik O
texts like those of Edgar Poe, I want great stories, or that remind those of Jorge Luis Borges

>> No.17410433
File: 846 KB, 1080x1145, 0FE84473-DA16-40EB-A51B-50168AA405AD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17410423
You see, the joke is that the place is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed" which is clever in itself and quite funny to those with a mature sense of humour but what's really just hilarious about it is that if you look closely at the front of this store, Sneed's Feed & Seed, you can see a line that reads "Formerly Chuck's". Now, this might go over the average viewer's head as this, THIS, is peak comedy. I doubt anything will ever be as funny as the joke about Sneed's Feed & Seed. Are you ready for this one? So, like I said, the place is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed" and this sign says "Formerly Chuck's", which means that when Chuck owned the place, well, I don't have to tell you... https://youtu.be/ezXGcRbJjts

>> No.17410508

You want religious heavy decadents and symbolists. I would recommend aurelia by Gerard de nerval, I would recommend looking into the art of salvator dali and the writing of Breton. Heavily in the same vein is the fantasies and short stories of Dunsany at times. Swinburne is a Baudelaire style decadent, Li-He’s poetry in Asia is incredibly similar as is the poetry of mallarme. The ghost fiction of MR James and the tales of Blackwood are fascinating, the short stories of Gilchrist are underrated and are in a marriage ground between decadent and weird fiction. Machen is another great author who’s weird tales are much like strange tumor upon the literary sensibilities of the decadent.

William Blake’s mystical poetry must always be considered.

And a bit more obscure the poetry of Stenbock at times is lovely, I’ll post one poem of his.

Stenbock’s The three sisters

OH the three singing sisters, they sat and span, While the red thread through their faint fingers rightly ran.

Oh their faces were fearful, their forms were tall,
Their garments fell like a funeral pall,
And they sang a song as they span their thread,
And they that dwelt among the dead
Came and sat at the feet of those sisters three,
And heard their soul-thrilling threnody.
Some sat and listened, some stood aloof
Watching them weaving their weird woof.

And the three singing sisters sat and span,
And the red thread through their faint fingers rightly
ran.

And this was the song that those sisters sung,

“Go take thy lot the wide world among,
And on thy forehead I write my curse
From thy cradle unto thine hearse;
Be miserable among happiness,
Be filled with good things in thy distress
Visible for thine eyes shall be

Such shameful sights, as none may see;
Such sounds thine ears shall hear,
As shall cause thy soul to quake with fear;

My bitter draught thy tongue shall taste
And drain the dregs to the very last,
Thy soul shall seek and thine heart shall crave
Such things, as thou mayest not have;
If thou love any among men,
Then shall the living all be slain,
But the dead shall rise again,
Rise again with a purple stain
That all may know them to be such
As have felt the contagion of thy touch.”

And the three singing sisters sat and span,
ran.

And then methought in that same place,
In the depths of the darkness, a fearfuller face
Laughed with a mad malignity,
And laughed and laughed eternally.

While the three singing sisters sat and span,
ran.

>> No.17410544

>>17410508
This but I also recommend Wordsworth and all the romantics they honestly would be right up your alley and I thought asemlen would mention this but Verlaine does just a good a job as Rimbaud. Also look into Paris spleen and other Rimbaud works

>> No.17410577

>>17410423
Look up René Daumal and Trakl

>> No.17410620

>>17410544
Oh definitely, even Verlaine’s poems under Saturn largely gets the proper melancholic decadent feel.

Twilight together with Memory
Glows and trembles on the burning horizon Of Hope in a flame that falls away
Then leaps up like a mysterious wall on Which many a flower in season—
Dahlia, tulip, buttercup and lily—
Springs up a trellis, amid the unhealthy Fragrances, the exhalation
Of heavy hot smells from which the poison— Dahlia, tulip, buttercup and lily—
Drowning my senses, my spirit and my reason, Mixes, in a single immense swoon,
Twilight together with Memory.

(Or Memory with Twilight glows
And trembles on the fiery horizon
Of burning Hope that shrinks and grows
Like some mysterious partition
Where the flowers in profusion
– Dahlias, lilies, tulips and marigolds –
Fly round a trellis in their circulation
Among the heady exhalation
Of heavy perfumes, whose warm poison
– Dahlias, lilies, tulips and marigolds –
Drowning my senses, soul and reason,
Mingles in their immense confusion
Memory with Twilight’s glows)

Le Souvenir avec le Crépuscule
Rougeoie et tremble à l'ardent horizon
De l'Espérance en flamme qui recule
Et s'agrandit ainsi qu'une cloison
Mystérieuse où mainte floraison
- Dahlia, lys, [tulipe]1 et renoncule -
S'élance autour d'un treillis, et circule
Parmi la maladive exhalaisons
De parfums lourds et chauds, dont le poison
- Dahlia, lys, tulipe et renoncule -
Noyant mes sens, mon âme et ma raison
Mêle, dans une immense pâmoison,
Le Souvenir avec le Crépuscule.

>> No.17410779

>>17410508
wasn't Nerval a suicidal atheist?

>> No.17410875
File: 215 KB, 1024x1403, 46435822-C023-4D9E-9EDD-3FCD95C2A10E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17410779
Atheist ? No, suicidal and did kill himself? Yes. He was a hermetic esotericist who’s poetry and prose often heavily were based in alchemy and dream imagery. Aurelia is the most accurate piece of Oneiric fiction depicting a mystical subconscious that you’ll find from the period if not ever, Jung thought his work was a treasurehouse for that fact, Proust also praised aurelia and Sylvia.

It’s more the dude was struggling with mental illness and his spiritual experiences and eventually due to life struggles and the love of his life’s death he eventually just ended it via suicide. Tragic really but fantastic writing. You Can see the struggle on the man’s face.

>> No.17410890

>>17410875
Did you get the penguin book? It seems to be the only one with collected works.

>> No.17410931

>>17410890
Yep that’s the only one where I could have found aurelia, here if you are thinking of buying it, check out his work for free. http://libgen.rs/book/index.php?md5=3563B6D2C583A0D7804C3FA3422DDE60

>> No.17411014

>>17410423
Others Paradise by Paul Leppin (short stories)
The short stories of Jean Lorrain

>> No.17411056

Look into The Book of Monelle and other books from Wakefield Press they publish a lot of unknown fin-de-siecle decadent type books. Also Twisted Spoon Press

>> No.17411115

>>17410875
neat...have you read Nerval's Voyage to the Orient?

>> No.17411597

Moravagine

>> No.17412114

>>17411115
Nope I don’t believe so, I’ve read all of his poetry, sylvie, aurelia, the king of bedlam and various other works in that penguin collection

>> No.17412210

I'm reading Gaspard de la nuit by Aloysius Bertrand right now and it kinda reminds me of Maldoror and the prozaic poems of Baudelaire, so I think you'd dig that.

>> No.17412258
File: 245 KB, 600x500, 4E5055D4-35B4-4D5B-B577-4DC0F1F782C1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Unironically, Call of the Arcade.

>> No.17412263

thanks people, you filled me with useful recommendations, I hope I can enjoy everything before I die