[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 338 KB, 1280x1024, yo-gabba-wallpaper-standard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1740071 No.1740071 [Reply] [Original]

I just wanted all of you to know that /lit/ is the worst board on 4chan.
Not a single person here is capable of any critical thinking about literature. Not once have I seen a discussion about Dante or Milton let alone any intelligent discussion at all. Experience leads me to believe that /lit/ is composed of sci-fi and fantasy readers who are, at the very least, literate and capable of assessing a piece of literature for its characters and plot; there are the readers of 20th century classics (I never want to hear the words Infinite Jest for the rest of my life) but I would hardly call them literate; then, there are tripfags, who-- although confirmedly illiterate-- can at least offer distractions from the soul crushingly mundane taste of the other two groups.

In the spirit of /lit/ I would like to offer a ranking of all of /lit/'s most revered authors. Of course, all of them are second rate (the only category in my ranking system is second rate)-- even though you c/lit/s would like to believe that, one, you have taste and, two, that you would be capable of grouping these authors into god and shit tier (and all of the intermediate tiers).

Hemingway
Faulkner
David Foster Wallace
H. S. Thompson
Dostoevsky
Tolstoy
Chekhov
Woolf
Flannery O'Connor
Salinger
Nabokov
Rimbaud
Joyce
Vonnegut
Pynchon
Yates
Kafka

Why in the fuck did I ever come here?

Discuss: Will any c/lit/ ever develop taste? ever?

>> No.1740077

OK OK OK
But what I really wanna know is
Catcher in the Rye
Best book or Bestest book evar?

>> No.1740086

>>1740077

OP deams it the most second rate of all second rate literature, tied for second with the rest of second rate literature.

>> No.1740096

WHAT A FAGGOT, DANTE AND MILTON ARE BROUGHT UP FUCKING DAILY.

>> No.1740100

>>1740096

link please?

>> No.1740103

The writers for Yo Gabba Gabba are god tier.

>> No.1740110

>>1740103

I forgot to mention that picture is always related. Thanks.

>> No.1740115

>that you would be capable of grouping these authors into god and shit tier (and all of the intermediate tiers)
looks like a job for quentin

saging a troll thread

>> No.1740116
File: 15 KB, 475x360, 1283903613658.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>writing as if an authority on discernment in literature
>derides our hoi polloi sensibilities and tastes
>his examples are Dante and Milton

>> No.1740131

i lol'd

>> No.1740144

>>1740116

out of curiosity, what authors do you think I should have used as examples?

>> No.1740151

>>1740144
How 'bout ones most people wouldn't learn about in babby's first Renaissance Lit class.

>> No.1740152

>>1740151

lol except Dante is medieval and Milton is pre-Enlightenment.

try again, son.

>> No.1740158

>>1740071
I agree... with, you.
However, I wouldn't call the authors second rate, just... predictable.
Also, you forgot Ayn Rand. The bitch.

>> No.1740160

>>1740152
>pre-Enlightenment
>period before the Enlightenment in England
Gosh, wonder what that time period is referred to...? Oh yeah, the English Renaissance.
Dante was Medieval but he was a precursor to the Renaissance and just barely fits into the chronology anyhow.

>> No.1740165

>>1740152
You would learn about them in any Renaissance Literature class.
You also learn about them in high school.
Using them as a qualifier of discerning taste is like claiming you're a connoisseur of fine liqueurs while drinking Schnapps.

>> No.1740174

lermontov, pushkin, flaubert, zola, knut hamsun, henry miller, celine, proust, have you a more tasteful list, trollmeister?

>> No.1740180

guess not, now google those names and start lifting your milton to get swole and start posting on /fit/ GTFO

>> No.1740186
File: 596 KB, 1226x1431, anon-threads.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1740191

>>1740160

It really pains me to have to invoke dates on you. The delineation of a cultural and artistic movement is arbitrary in more ways than one, and temporal delineation is the only concrete method. Dante is not a Renaissance poet, because he died 50 years before that movement ever began. That he was a precursor to the Renaissance could be argued about a lot of medieval poets.

The Renaissance does not extend into the 17th century. And Milton is not a Renaissance poet.

Please, please, go reread your textbook before you comment, alright?

>> No.1740207

>>1740160

I read neither Milton nor Dante for high school.

You know who I did read in high school?

>Hemingway
>Faulkner
>David Foster Wallace
>H. S. Thompson
>Dostoevsky
>Tolstoy
>Chekhov
>Woolf
>Flannery O'Connor
>Salinger
>Nabokov
>Rimbaud
>Joyce
>Vonnegut
>Pynchon
>Yates
>Kafka

>> No.1740214

>>1740191
>That he was a precursor to the Renaissance could be argued about a lot of medieval poets.
Not to the same extent as Dante. The Divine Comedy is clearly a precursor to Renaissance humanism in both theme and style and numerous Italian Renaissance artists were directly inspired by his work.

Milton was an English Renaissance poet. Fine, he lived under the Commonwealth, but he was a Renaissance thinker.

They're both taught in Renaissance Lit classes, which was my original point anyhow, and it was only a point of a larger argument which you have not countered: they are pedestrian names to invoke in the name of discerning tastes.

>> No.1740236

>>1740071
I just thought I should point out that the two authors you hold up (Milton is a favorite of mine, although I reserve judgment on Dante until I get around to learning Italian) are both best known for works of fantasy. It seems you fit in here slightly better than you would like us to think.

>> No.1740243

>>1740207
One of the two of us clearly had a weird ass high school. I was assigned both Dante and Milton, but about half that list are authors I had to read on my own time. Anyway, I know for a fact that both your examples and your list are commonly taught at that level, although I have been assured that it is impossible to fully appreciate Dante without reading fluently in Italian.

>> No.1741903

>>1740214

Calling Milton and Dante pedestrian is really very arbitrary: you're only argument was that they were taught in high school. You may be confusing fame with being "pedestrian."

>>1740243
Milton may be a favorite of yours, but he would cringe to hear you call him a fantasy writer.

>>1740174

Boy o boy! He likes 19th century literature! What an original!

Of all the authors on your list, how many of them have you read in the original language?
Because I can tell you that, having attended high school in France, Zola's Rougon Macquart and (generally) GERMINAL are covered in 8th grade, while Flaubert's SALAMMBÔ and MME BOVARY are covered Freshman year.

I can't say anything about the Russians (or Knut Hamsun) you cited, because I don't speak Russian (or Norwegian), but Tolstoy and Ibsen are obviously the better writers of their respective languages; I get the feeling you're only trying to impress me with the lesser known names on your read list.

You might have done better to cite Nerval, Baudelaire, Valéry, Voltaire, Hugo, Racine, Molière.
Those are the seminal French writers.

kthxbye.

>> No.1742077

>>1740207

Let's see, who did I read as assigned reading in high school?

>Arthur Conan Doyle

>Homer

>Yann Martel

>Paulo Coelho

>Erich Marie Remarque

>Joyce Carol Oates

>Flannery O'Conner

>Connie May Fowler

>Khaled Hosseini

>J.D. Salinger

>Sherman Alexie

>Anthony Burgess

>John Knowles

>Confucius

>Euripides

>Sophocles

>Alfred Lord Tennyson

>Sir Thomas Mallory

>Lao Tzu

>The people that wrote Gilgamesh

>The people that wrote the Bible

>Whoever it was that wrote the Rig Veda

>> No.1742089

>>1742077

why did they make you read the shittiest tier of contemporary authors in high school?

>> No.1742102

>critical thinking

>> No.1742123

I applaud OP's effort in making a thread. Though I'm quite susceptible to self-reference and meta works.

My only quibble is the choice of image, but that may merely be my lack of understanding of its usage.

I originally thought his citation of Dante and Milton were a poor choice, but OP was redeemed by the ensuing discussion.

>> No.1742141

Oh, cool. This thread. It got bumped up from what, page 15? That's so cool.

Cool.

Cool thread.

Good thing someone OP bumped it up.

>> No.1742179

>>1742123
>>1742123
Aw man you totally proved him wrong with your calm and collected and cool as a cucumberbund response.
You aren't illiterate at all, instead you're a fggt lol

>> No.1742185

i hope there's an hs thompson other than hunter that i'm not aware of, because if not lol