[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 329x499, oxfordbible.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17271242 No.17271242 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best version of the bible for a normal non-christian reader?

Which ones do you have?

>> No.17271386

>>17271242
If you're going to read it for non religious reasons, a paperback like the Oxford edition will do fine. KJV isn't necessarily the most accurate, but it's the most literary version.
>>17271242
Bump, I'm looking for an edition of the King James Bible that will last a long time while being good all-around. I currently own a paperback version and after having read through a good deal of it, I can tell this is something I will revisit and meditate on for much of my life.

>> No.17271400

>>17271386
Just go to a local Christian bookstore & buy a KJV. They shouldn't sell a KJV with Apocrypha, it isn't Bible.

>> No.17271510
File: 807 KB, 1936x1211, TBS-Westminster-Reference-Bible-KJV-012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17271386
>that will last a long time
If it is one you will use near daily then you want something that is sewn and has edge-lined binding.
If you want to spend 200+ USD get a Schuyler, R.L. Allan, or Cambridge, just make sure in the description it says they are edge-lined because not all of their models are. If you want to spend 55 USD get a Church Bible Publishers. The paper quality will be lower on the CBP though.

Another option is Trinitarian Bible Society's Westminster Reference Bible. It is KJV, has 200k cross references, and the archaic words defined in the margins. Same quality paper as the big three and sewn but not edge-lined, just a mesh reinforced paste down liner. They are about 75 USD but I like it more than my premiums. If it ever falls apart I can just have it rebound.

>> No.17271695
File: 17 KB, 200x313, bb981afcb5283e8f59362c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17271400
>They shouldn't sell a KJV with Apocrypha, it isn't Bible.

>> No.17271878

Protestants have the KJV Bible. How do Catholics and Orthodox even compete?

>> No.17271891

>>17271400
I have that version. It's for readers of literature and not necessarily for believers. That is, it's designed to be read by the literati as literature.

>> No.17271897
File: 1.60 MB, 1200x875, Crown Jewels Alexandre Desgoffe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17271242
An ESV or a NASB or a RSV, ESV I'd say is the best though.
Anything that tries to make things gender neutral like the NRSV or a modern NIV should not be touched. Same with the King James Versions (NKJV and 1611 KJV). They use the textus receptus for the new testament which is very poor compared to the older, better sources that are available today. It's a copy of a copy of many copies before it, and the culmination of this is a corrupted and inaccurate document as scribes have inserted their bias into scripture. For example, 1 John 5: 7 in the kjv is:
“For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.”
This would be a significant proof of the trinity, except most of this verse never actually existed. In the early Greek sources it just says that there are three that testify. Don't listen to anyone who holds the kjv as exceptional.
The DRC is probably decent but it's also based a bit off the kjv, in fact its based off a mix of the kjv, vulgate, and Greek and Hebrew sources thanks to Challoner, and the vulgate comes from unknown sources close to the time of Christ's life used by St. Jerome. I wouldn't trust the Douay Rheims to be the best especially for a non Christian, non Catholic reader who wouldn't want to deal with dated English.
There's also the NABRE and the OSB. I don't know much about the former and all I know about the latter is that it uses the textus receptus and has good notes.
Someone with more knowledge on the masoretic and septuagint texts can speak on such.

I would ultimately recommend an esv catholic edition or an esv with the deuterocanonical/apocrypha books so you'll get all the books possibility considered canon. For more on why the esv is ideal read this:
https://www.waynegrudem.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/The-advantages-of-the-ESV.pdf
Personally though, I use my nice comfy RSV Second Catholic Edition bible.