[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 55 KB, 350x413, 01461420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1725314 No.1725314 [Reply] [Original]

My buddy recently decided to buy the art of war off of Amazon, and he came across this brilliant review. I just thought I'd share.

>the english language he griffith uses is a barrier, >October 26, 2010
>By matthew - See all my reviews
>This review is from: The Art of War (Paperback)
>the average person who can speak perfect english wont understand many dictionary words he uses to translate the art of war. unless you understand rocket science words, check out thomas cleary's version.

>> No.1725317

here's a link to it

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OD6Q4G0651WX/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0195014766&nodeID=
&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

>> No.1725326
File: 21 KB, 400x311, 1278774150663.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is now a Favorite Book - 1 Star Review thread.

Hermann Hesse, Narcissus and Goldmund:

>I'm a little surprised most people praise this book. In my opinion, the writing was boring at times. I actually glanced over pages. I actually thought the main character was a disgusting, murdering, womanizer. I do see the relevance between the great contrast of good and evil, but I'd rather read Stephen King's "The Stand" over again instead of reading this book.

>> No.1725343

"No offense, but this book is miserable.

It was the first book I've bought full price (instead of library/used) in a looong time (and I did so 'cos I thought it would be easier than tracking it down for the bookclub), and I am annoyed. Que desastre!

For me, this book was a waste of my time. I got to page 40 or so, and just couldn't take it any more. It is everything I hate about bad books.

Oh, the dramz."

I can't even tell what they disliked about it from this.

>> No.1725345

>>1725326
I have this book on my desk and plan on reading it soon?

What did you think of it? I've read Siddhartha in high school, and most recently I read Demian. How did they compare?

>> No.1725352

>>1725326
I tried to play the game, but now I'm just depressed...

>> No.1725354

>>1725352
Same thing happened to me. Some of them make good points and it makes me sad when I realize my favorite books are still seen as shitty to some people. but oh well.

>> No.1725366

>>1725345
It's my favorite of Hesse's. It's a pretty moving and fascinating contemplation of the inherent comparisons and contrasts between intellect and art, as depicted through two characters who are themselves embodiments of reason and sensuality. Siddhartha I think was much more motivated in theme by a search for meaning in some sort of individual-finding-the-universal (enlightenment). Demian was to me very much about the individual self-actualizing, either that or discovering depths of emotion and a sense of himself as an individual.
Narcissus as a character has no such problems at all and is certain of his place, and Goldmund seems to be an exploration of meaning outside of himself, without much regard for universals at all, and more simply for sake of experience and wisdom as opposed to the rigor and knowledge of Narcissus.
Really that's a brief synopsis/analysis, and I don't think it really spoils anything for you. I thought it was a great read, and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Hesse's narrative musings.