[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 192 KB, 1024x726, Intervention.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17230769 No.17230769[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و الحمدلله و الصلاة و السلام على رسول الله

To my brothers,
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

This is a continuation of the last thread
>>17203489

from a series on appreciating the Qur'an, the parts are Aesthetics; Narrative; Jurisprudence; Theology; Traditionalism vs Fundamentalism; Arabic; Current Events; Unseen; Seerah; Epistemology; and Practice.

This is part of the current events section, and I will be dealing with the rise of Salafism. For the question of Salafi Jihadism and Saud and all that, it will be covered in forthcoming threads in sha' Allah

So what exactly is "Salafism"? It can mean a few things. One common use is synonymous with Athari theology, (see theology thread), which rejects mysticism and occasionalism and divine command theory in favor of textualist theology. It can also mean Hanbali methodology (see jurisprudence thread) but rejecting case law, this was inspired by Ibn Taymiyyah's approach. Hanbali methodology had largely rejected the use of deduction and as a result relied increasingly on case law to maintain consistency. Ibn Taymiyyah considered deduction and equity to be preferable to case law l. Generally speaking this is what Salafi jurisprudence does, emphasis on rejecting case law especially after the Salaf (first three generations). forming consistency. To give an example of how he used equity, based on Hadiths it is permissible to wipe over the socks with water in ablution if you put them on after your first barefoot ablution of the day, so you don't have to wash your feet each time, you can just wipe over your socks. However, what is a sock? Because Muhammad ﷺ wore leather socks as did Arabs in general then, jurists said here it must be
Cont

>> No.17230772
File: 801 KB, 1722x1722, all_around_infidel_OD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17230769
something also fairly rugged and waterproof. Ibn Taymiyyah said no, before it was established many of the companions of Muhammad ﷺ were very poor, surely they would have had holes in their socks, yet they all wiped, so he said your socks don't have to be waterproof (to this day Hanbali is the only school that allows wiping over cotton socks, the others only allow it for leather or special waterproof socks).

How did Salafism get popularized? Long before the Petrodollar even (though that proliferated it a lot more)?

The Mongols who conquered much Muslim land converted to Islam to avoid rebellion. However Ibn Taymiyyah issued a fatwa saying jihad was still obligatory against them because they did not rule by Shari'ah, part of the evidence of this was 5:44 in the Qur'an which describes the Jews as leaving Islam when they fooled around with the law they were given. This fatwa would have serious implications in the future

Fast forward, the Ottomans and the colonialists both wanted to modernize Islam, the easiest way to do this was appoint modernist jurists and establish a body of modernist case law. Anger at this helped spread Salafi discourse and it became increasingly belligerent toward case law.

Next thread in sha' Allah I will deal with the rise of the House of Saud, they relationship with the British, and the roots of the Sunni-Shia feud and why efforts to end it failed. I will also cover jihadism. This will probably take multiple threads

>> No.17230884

Also please give input for anything you want covered or explained, I reduced OP length a lot because it was too much for many I think

>> No.17231310

I'll give you a bump, Quran anon. I'll read your post later when I have time. Keep up the good work!