[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 460x280, hunterS460.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1722359 No.1722359 [Reply] [Original]

post here if you think hunter s. thompson was a faggot

No, I'm not even trolling. So before you little 15 year old pretend intellectuals and "stonerz" go on to say I'm dismissing the father of stream of conscious writing or some shit, I'm going to plainly say that his writing style is lazy, and everything he wrote about was made up lies. Basically he's the literature equivalent of Kid Cudi, unwritten and always falling back on the fact that if he does drugs and is sort of artsy then he MUST be deep. Besides, event though he was a faggot, he's more legit than most his fans.

>> No.1722362

>everything he wrote about was made up lies.

Man. I fucking hate it when writers write stories!

>> No.1722367

>people who haven't read the rum diary

>> No.1722368

I dunno about being a faggot, but I'd imagine he at least stroked another man's dick in his day.

>> No.1722371

Because Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas wasn't about unobtainable Arnoldian regret for the "good ol' days" when there was free love & pure drugs? He mentions the emptiness of trying to emulate a dead culture through being fucked up all the time by comparing it to a water mark high up on a canyon wall. But maybe you didn't finish reading it & you just like to rag on a crazy dead guy.

>> No.1722376

Eh, I don't know.

I've only read two of his books - Hell's Angels, which I thought was fucking brilliant, and Far and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I thought was good, pretty good, really, but was in fact too much like every single other drug-fueled book I've ever read.

>> No.1722379

>>1722359
>not trolling
>calling people names
>arguments without evidence
yawn

>> No.1722447

>>1722379
>arguments without evidence
greentext is exactly that. it's just a strawman which you don't even care to batter down.
>>1722359
drug mysticism, bravado and sex is what the 1960s counterculture is about. it may also involve the tarot or eastern philosophy but they do not respect the western classics strongly enough to get into the pantheon of faggots. if there is faggotry it's midwestern christians wallowing in things they actually don't like. to them the very thought of sympathy to lumpenproletarian antics is shocking enough to feel artsy and all. hence they have brought "faggot" and "nigger" as a terms of dismissal into the 4chan discourse.
now. thomson isn't good or bad per se. no writer is. but he's an idol and as such he must be understood and studied and imitated, not dismissed.

>> No.1722719

everything Tolkien wrote was lies. let's go piss on his grave!

>> No.1722723
File: 5 KB, 208x156, 1296708628464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>everything he wrote about was made up lies
>made up lies
>as opposed to?

Also see: Fiction

>> No.1722725
File: 12 KB, 249x213, 1295521656819.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>So before you little 15 year old pretend intellectuals
>Basically he's the literature equivalent of Kid Cudi
>implying anyone over the age of fifteen would even reference Kid Cudi

>> No.1722735

>unwritten and always falling back on the fact that if he does drugs and is sort of artsy then he MUST be deep

Get within the days. Anyone can write, anyone can do art and influence people, it's just a matter of media attention, mass histeria and luck. The most brilliant writers never published anything. There is a guy in Camboja who is 10x better than anything you ever read, but you will never read him or hear of him. Meanwhile, that shelf of yours got 80% of crap that you actually think it's good because of your references.

This is the 21st century. Relativity is more than a hundred years old. Modernism is a hundred years old. There is no such thing as objective talent. That doesn't mean you are not entitled to an opinion, just that you shouldn't whine and butthurt around when someone is famous but you don't like bawwww.

>he thinks he likes writing when in fact his favourite writers are artsy and do artsy stuff
>he thinks it's about writing at all

>> No.1722743
File: 2 KB, 126x126, 1292454403990.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The most brilliant writers never published anything

Of all the speculative, unfounded, unresearched nonsense...

Is this just your excuse for being a 30-something who aspired to be a great author without a title to your name?

>> No.1723714

>>1722371
I like you.

>> No.1723725

yea he is pretty shitty. my neighbor wants me to read him because it's like the only author he's ever read but i'm never going to.

not to mention thompson killed himself which makes him a huge coward

>> No.1723727

>implying Kid Cudi doesn't have some good songs.

>> No.1723731

>>1723725
>he is pretty shitty
>I'm never going to [read him]
You have come to a logical conclusion in a coherent and respectable manner. I applaud you.

>> No.1723748
File: 66 KB, 600x620, gonzo009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1723714

I'm sure I would like you, too, Anon, if only I knew you.

>> No.1723751

Eh, I like his stuff. I mean, I went through a really big period of him during high school, but I occasionally re-read Generation of Swine and still enjoy it. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is definitely on my to-read list. The fact that it's roundly praised by campaign journalists gives it at least some credence.

>> No.1723752

>>1723725

A lot of Japanese samurai would be real mad that you said that, after they went to all the trouble stabbin' out their stomachs.

>> No.1723754

>>1723725
You also think that Carl Sagan is untrustworthy because he smoked pot.

>> No.1723794

>Who the fuck is kid cudi?
>youtube.com
>Standard slow rap, nice base.
Are you saying that he was one more of a movement highly regarded in his time?

>> No.1723797

>>1723794
it's spelled "bass"
for fuck's sake