[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 325x499, 7DC666F2-7A6E-41B6-B0D3-4C303C56DFE9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17189189 No.17189189 [Reply] [Original]

I finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo.
What a fantastic novel. I’d be really interested to know what other people enjoyed in this lengthy classic so here’s a few question.

What was your favourite chapter?
Who was your favourite character other then The Count
What was a interesting chapter that stood out or took you by surprise?
What was your favourite small plot line?
Was the punishments fair?

>> No.17189249

>>17189189
>What was your favourite chapter?
A hard one to say because there is stand out chapters within the first section of the book alone. I’d say The 5th of September is probably my favourite. It’s well written and tense but also shows you The Counts first self proclaimed divine intervention into someone else’s life and sets up his plot for revenge. The internal monologue at the end of the chapter gave me chills.

>Who was your favourite character other then The Count?
Maximilian, brave and also a true romantic.

What was a interesting chapter that stood out or took you by surprise?
>Italy: Sinbad the Sailor. I didn’t expect there to be characters talking about drugs and hallucinations in this novel. It’s also very well written and captures the feel.

>What was your favourite small plot line?
I enjoy the taking down of Danglars. In particular the chapter where he intercepts telegrams is hilarious. It’s cold and calculated just like how Danglars first took down Edmond. Fitting and poetic.

Was the punishments fair?
>there’s no simple answer but for the most part yes. However even The Count comes to realise that he has done wrong in places.

>> No.17189252
File: 99 KB, 1400x830, pepe hands.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17189189
If I had only continued to read a chapter a day, give or take, of this novel as I had started I would have finished it by now...

>> No.17189270

>>17189252
I took a couple of months break from it in the middle section. It’s an easy book to get burnt out on, especially when all the new characters get introduced. Pick it up and have another go, it really picks up.

>> No.17189399

>>17189189
Been years since I read this but I loved all the prison stuff

>> No.17189411

>>17189270
Thanks anon, I will.

>> No.17189494

Only got through like the first 400 pages of this, genuinely might be the most boring and tedious thing I've ever read. Only half decent parts were when he talks with the fella whose dad's a Napoleon fag who lies and tells him he'll be alright, and when he starts chatting with the abbe in the dungeon.

>> No.17189725

>>17189249
Your mentionings of Maximilian's romanticisms and the hallucinogenics of the hashish remind me of when they work off one another so beautifully in the count's final prestige at the end of the book.

"At the same time the count appeared to increase in stature; his form, nearly double its normal height, stood out in releif against the red tapestry, his black hair was thrown back, and he stood in the attitude of an avenging angel."

"The count had just opened a door. Immediately a brilliant light from the next room, or rather from the palace adjoining, shone upon the room [Maximilian] was gently gliding into his last sleep. Then he saw a woman of marvellous beauty appear on the threshold of the door separating the two rooms. Pale, and sweetly smiling, she looked like the angel of mercy conjuring the angel of vengence."

That last conversation Maximilian had with the count is still going on in my mind two years after reading. Thanks for sharing.

>> No.17189734

>>17189189
I'm 60% through so far I enjoyed the most when he saved the Morel family. Wish you'd have made this thread in a week, now I cant read anything. Villefort just discovered he must've lied about finding the dead baby. I figured there must at least be some difficulty for the Count in executing his plan so this makes sense.

>> No.17189758

>>17189189
I tried to read Count of Monte Cristo when I was 11 and got to the last 20 pages of the first volume before I dropped it - it was the first book I ever dropped. I don't remember much other than the MC and the fact that I was extremely bored by the final section which for some reason was introducing new characters.
I liked the Count's backstory. It was really comfy. I have always loved vengeance so I was rooting for him. I remember being somewhat annoyed with the two baddies and the old love interest. I am afraid that's all I can recall, anon.

>> No.17189793

>>17189189
I'm reading the Three Musketeers right now, pretty excited for the Count once I finish.

>> No.17189798
File: 76 KB, 639x595, 1240393095655.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Maximilien," the Count said, "the friends whom we have lost do not rest in the earth, they are buried in our hearts, and that is how God wanted it, so that we should always be in their company... The spirit of both lives in me. I consult them when I am in doubt and, if I have done good, I owe it to their advice."

>> No.17189937

>>17189189
>What was your favourite chapter?
It has been years since i read this book so i dont quite remember all of it, but my favourite parts are when edmond discovers the treasure and when he encounters cauderousse at the end of the novel. The last scene with the opium was also interesting.
>Who was your favourite character other then the Count?
Haydeé desu. Really liked her story and personality and the whole love story with the Count. Another one was Faria.
>What was an interesting chapter that stood out or took you by surprise?
Don't really have one, i remember that pretty much all the chapters were consistent in one way or the other with the style of dumas, altough if i have to choose i would say again the last encounter of cauderousse with edmond, just because of how odd it was.
>What was your favourite small plot line?
The whole part that took place in Italy, altough i guess it isn't that small.
>Were the punishments fair?
I think so, altough in some cases he exaggerated, like for example with Villefort.

Again, it has been a long time since i read the count of montecristo, so there are things that i dont quite remember, but it is a good book, altough i guess it's a little tough because of its lenght. I find it worth it tho.

>> No.17190054

>tfw I read the whole book and then realized it was the abridged version

Great read nonetheless

>> No.17190506

Bump,

>> No.17190690

I liked the chapters where Dantes is in prison and struggles in keeping sanity. Also the chapter of the carnival in Italy was to me felt very vivid.
The whole plot of the vengeance in Paris bored me at times but all in all I think it is a great book and I am glad I finished it.

>> No.17190908

>>17190690
the vengeance part was my favorite

>> No.17191465

>>17189189
3/10

pretty straightforward housewife pleasing kitchen reading tier garbage

no flowing prose or any deep insight into anything of any importance

just some dude taking revenge

BFG NIGGA

>> No.17192873

Forgot I made this thread.

Thanks for the replies anons I’ve enjoyed reading them.

>>17189725
Amazing observation! I missed this.