[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.68 MB, 2048x1536, movil 004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1718078 No.1718078 [Reply] [Original]

Hello there, /lit/erates.

I want to share with you something really funny what happened to me in /tg/. An Anon posted a thread about Tolkien being a GM which I replied with my opinion about him, saying he was a bad writer and he wasn't that influential to the development of Dungeons and Dragons as Jack Vance, Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber or Poul Anderson where.

I want to know how many of you, good /lit/erates, share my same opinion about Tolkien not being that good as some fanboys think.

>> No.1718079

>I want to know how many of you, good /lit/erates, share my same opinion about fantasy not being literature.
Totally agree,

>> No.1718084

>>1718079
Including Greek classics?

>> No.1718085

Lots, I'm sure.

It's what all cool kids are doing these days.

>> No.1718090

>>1718084
Silly rabbit, there aren't any elves in Greek classics.

>> No.1718093

Tolkein isn't that good of a writer no, let's face it. LOTR were just badly written.

>> No.1718095

>>1718090
But there are Gods and supernatural skills, and sometimes monsters.
I am confused now.

>> No.1718097

i don't want to be closed minded because that would be hypocritical

i think fantasy is literature just like anything else

but it has a stigma surrounding it that is a little more than simply legitimate

>> No.1718106

>I want to know how many of you, good /lit/erates, share my same opinion about Tolkien not being that good as some fanboys think.

Fuck me, there are people who can sincerely and plausibly debate Shakespeare's worth. Asking if maybe there might exist some people who've read outside the Tolkien Silo and are able to judge his works' relative merit is farcical.

>> No.1718109

>>1718097
I must confess I prefer science fiction over fantasy.
And also I must say I cannot stand the rabid fanboys who dwell into those genres but somehow I manage to withstand them.
What I consider not fair is a Mod banning someone because he doesn't like the writer what he loves, and this is one of the points of this thread.
I want to gather all the opinions (goo and bad) about Tolkien, as well as arguments why someone who should be banned for say he thinks this or that writer is bad or doesn't know how to write certain types of stories.