[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 91 KB, 980x653, contemplativechimp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1716249 No.1716249 [Reply] [Original]

>18 years old
>love literature and history with a passion
>all I've wanted to do since as long as I can remember is write and study history
>looking forward to studying literature/combined history at university
>suddenly
>gain the opportunity to work off shore on oil rigs

what do?

>> No.1716250

go to university
manual labor is for lesser being

>> No.1716254

do both

don't be a pussy, you can always drop one

>> No.1716255

Work on the rig and gain a fair bit of savings
It's much easier to study when you have financial security.
That aside, you'll hopefully have some spare time to do some independent study, so when you get into University you'll have a leg up.

>> No.1716259

>>1716250
>repressed anon with daddy issues detected.

>> No.1716261

>>1716255
This.
If your passion is that strong, it's not going to wane just because of the job. Take it, earn some money for yourself, learn a little about what it takes for people to survive in the world, take that experience (and the money) with you to school.

>> No.1716263

Work on rig, learn the social dynamics of a rig, study up on the rig, then make millions writing on the history of the rig and the experiences you had.

>> No.1716264

Go to the oil rigs, study later. Write on personal statement:
"I leap at every opportunity to expand my knowledge of culture and humanity, and have demonstrated this by spending X number of gap years working on an oilrig at X-place. During this time, I learnt x, y and z and continued to deepen my love for lit by reading a, b and c in my spare time".

Plus, cash in the bank is good while at uni.

>> No.1716267

An Oil Rig sounds like a places where you'd meet some pretty interesting people. Might even give you some sort of inspiration.

>> No.1716274

>>1716255
>>1716261
i feel as though i won't earn as much from a combined history/lit degree from a university as i would from working on the rigs. university prices are raising ridiculously next year meaning i'd have to pay almost triple of what i'd pay this year.

>> No.1716280

>>1716274
So long as you enjoy it the money shouldn't matter.
I mean, if you already enjoy your job as it is you oughtn't need to invest in all the pleasures the rich man would.

>> No.1716282

>>1716274
Ahh, so you are a Britfag too. I've got to pay the high tuition fees as well, since I only got a C in art and have to resit D: But my attitude is this: student debt isn't really very demanding anyway, you can pay it off in your own time without it placing much of a stress on your finances. I think it pays off to get what you want and take the debt.

>> No.1716290

i'm thinking of taking the job and just studying independently for the joy of it and at some point in my life begin writing. i don't exactly need a degree if i've already got a very well paying job, right? the only reason i can think of for going to a university without needing a degree is expanding my knowledge.

>> No.1716297

>>1716290
Woaah, so you're thinking of working on the oilrig longterm? I imagine it's dangerous and unpleasant - okay for a gap year or something but not what you'd want permanantly. Or perhaps you didn't mean that? I dunno.

>> No.1716302

>>1716290
Oh no it's nice being around other people who do the sort of thing

>> No.1716306

>>1716297
what would be the point in short term? i'm 18 and could be set with an extremely well paying job, which will gradually improve, for life. i know it won't be pleasant but i might enjoy it, if i really didn't enjoy it i'd quit anyway.

>> No.1716307

as you don't seem to have any university related aspirations, I say go for it, but only if the hours aren't so long that you have no time to write. also, don't put off writing for some mythical future date. unless you're a god-damned genius you're going to be shit when you start no matter what, so just start now.

>> No.1716314

>>1716290
Go for the degree. You don't go to university for simple facts anyone with a library card could learn. You go for picking up approaches and the heart and gestalt of what you're learning from real masters, and getting a feel for the intellectual attitudes of your peers. Someone said something about how students at the best universities learn more from each other than their professors.

And when I say "go for the degree," I mean just as definitively "go for the degree after working a year or two on the rig." Writers need experience like they need air, paper, ink, and sex. Money can help so long as you've read "Kilamanjaro" enough times.

>> No.1716318

>>1716306
We told you the point: to gain a large amount of savings so you can dedicate your university life to your studies rather than your finances
Wouldn't you prefer to work doing what you love, rather than only being able to do so in your spare time?

>> No.1716365

>>1716318
>work doing what you love

i know a guy who gained a history degree from a good university and is now working three part time jobs to make a living.

yes, i'd love to write for a living but that isn't definitely going to happen. i'm edging towards working a job and writing and studying in my spare time just for the joy of it, if i gain any amount of success then i could just as easily quit the rig job and solely focus on writing.

>> No.1716375

If you can get a job on an oil rig at your age you are fucking lucky. Take it now. The degree will always be there, and you can still learn in the meantime.

>> No.1716380

You could work on the rig, go to uni, try to do what you like for a living, then if it doesn't work out you'll have experience of oilrigs and could easily get a job at another rig. Oilrig option may be more expensive, but it leaves you with more opportunities for money as well. Go for the oil rig is my advice.

>> No.1716390

Are you fucking insane go to uni do what you love whats the point in working on a rig for the rest of your life and hate every fucking minute of it trust me on this i wish i went to uni stuck in a dead end job dont end up like me.

Always do what you love the last thing you want is to be sitting on your death bed and have regrets.

>> No.1716392

>>1716365
Are these entry level jobs for unskilled labour, or are these jobs related to history?

>> No.1716393

go work at the oil rig for a while. If you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Despite what seems to be the norm, it's okay to wait with going to college. In many positions work experience counts for more than a degree. Even if you become a professor in the future, the oil rig work is a possibility to meet people you otherwise never would have, for good and bad, and it would probably help shape you more as a person than going to university ever would. Other than that, there's the money, you'll be able to save up some money, become more independent, not have to rely on your parents, travel the world for a year and read books all day long on a beach in vietnam after your gig at the oil rig.

Don't repeat my mistake and go to uni OP, please.

>> No.1716395

Go for the oil rig, OP.

Though it's unlikely, if the employer you work for on the rig gives you enough off-time the university you want to go to probably has some kind of distance learning program that will let you take classes online.

It's worth considering, at least.

>> No.1716402

>>1716390
the only things you regret in life are the things you dont do; uni can wait, the oil rig is life!

>> No.1716403

>>1716393
I agree with this post, OP.

A writer needs to break out of the stuffy, snotty halls of academia and do things just like working on an oil rig.

Do as much as you can while you can. I worked for years before going to college and generally laughed off how inexperienced and unintelligent all my peers were. They knew nothing but their boring lives of half-hearted study.

Don't be like them; it's pitiful.

>> No.1716405

>>1716392
part time librarian at my college, which sounds good but really it's not, working as a bartender at a nightclub and working in a kiosk serving food on match days at our cities football stadium.

>> No.1716414

>>1716403
Yeah, I went to uni because **scoff* who wants to work! Didn't have the work ethic to cut it, got a shitty degree, now I have a shitty job, and realize how awesome I would have been at school if I had just worked as much as I do now. Not to mentioned I missed out on a lot of experiences by not working and making enough money to travel like a lot of my peers (european here).

>> No.1716420

>>1716414
This guy.
Treat university like you'd treat any other job (And if you get to the graduate level you even get paid!)

>> No.1716423
File: 7 KB, 200x150, garysiniseuhhhhh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

join the marines

>> No.1716424

I'm going to a Uni in August. You guys say it's banal, but coming from a high school in a rural town with a population of 9,000, it seems pretty damn cool. Small school in the middle of the city.

But I guess by the end of Freshman year it'll feel the same as high school. I was thinking after college I'd see if I could find a job in deep sea fishing.
What think?

>> No.1716432

>>1716424
Untrue. Universities offer a lot of extra opportunities and activities than a high school does.
But that aside, do we ever really decide that each school is simply like the other school?
I mean I dunno how you felt, but going from elementary to junior high was fucking culture shock.
I still walked over during break to ride the swings.

>> No.1717552

Go with the oil rigs, it's a no brainer.