[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 466 KB, 713x537, Picture 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1715836 No.1715836 [Reply] [Original]

Things you can do with a Humanities, English, or Liberal Arts degree:

-Writer

-Editor

-Archivist

-Teacher

-Curator

-Journalist

-Theatre manager

-Actor

-Critic

-Librarian

-Lawyer (if you go to law school)

-Government employee

-Paralegal or legal assistant

-Secretary

-Diplomat (if you take the exam for it and pass)

There are a lot more options out there than what aspie Engineering major bullshit would lead you to expect. Having a broad, cultured background covered by your college degree actually helps a lot.

>> No.1715840

yes i am sure your dual degrees in mythology and circus studies will help you become professionaly trained

>> No.1715847
File: 30 KB, 370x300, 1289458703114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're in college and you aren't majoring in/studying:

Engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry, biology, finance, statistics, economics, mathematics, nursing, accounting, law, or medicine

You are wasting your time and money on a completely useless degree. You might as well drop out and go directly to McDonald's, because you aren't going to be earning more than minimum wage. No employer gives a shit about your philosophy or English degree.

>> No.1715848

>Lawyer (if you go to law school)

You can do Medicine with a humanities degree, too. If you go to med school.

>> No.1715851

>>1715847

Nope.

My cousin's an engineer, laid off, & she had to take her college degree off her resume to be considered for a job at Walmart.

>> No.1715852

>>1715847

Had a friend who dual-majored in Anthropology and Geography and now goes around the mid-atlantic states doing archaeology work on sites of early American colonial towns. Might not pay well, but it's sure not your McDonald's stereotype.

>> No.1715857

>>1715851

If she isn't employed as an engineer, she isn't an engineer.

Having a degree in something doesn't mean you're in that profession. Having a psychology degree doesn't make you a psychologist and having a physics degree doesn't make you a scientist. It's whether you're employed in those professions that determines that.

>> No.1715860

>>1715847

Where does an Astronomy or Meteorology degree fall? (I have both)

>> No.1715863

>>1715836
I can tell that you're extremely insecure about your chosen field of study and your future job prospects.

Let me clear it up for you. "Humanities, English, or Liberal Arts degrees" are for people too stupid or unmotivated to handle more rigorous majors, which require skill with numbers, abstract concepts, and analysis. All that your Humanities major tells prospective employers is that you are a dumbshit who thought that getting wasted every night and playing video games was more important than diligent study.

Sorry to break it to you, bud.

>> No.1715864

>>1715847

>Nursing

Nursing is a major for ghetto trash that want to improve their lives by getting a cheap vocational degree from a community college. That's the typical person that studies nursing.

There is no actual prestige in that kind of career and they are overpaid for what their background is and for what they do.

>> No.1715865

>>1715857

>it is logically impossible for there to be unemployed engineers

i see what you did there

>> No.1715866

>>1715863

ok mr. human resources manager

>> No.1715867

>>1715865

It's possible for there to be an out-of-work former or future engineer. But if that's not the person's profession right now, they are not an engineer.

>> No.1715868

i live my life how i choose. i dont give much thought to the judgements of other people. i wouldnt hassle them to change the way they live so that it might be more agreeable to my tastes.

>> No.1715869

>>1715868

>i live my life how i choose. i dont give much thought to the judgements of other people

A person with this attitude can neither make friends nor become gainfully employed. Sorry to break the news.

>> No.1715872

I received a degree in literature from ASU and got a job in PR for a state social services department making about 28k/yr.

I went back to school and got a degree in economics from Brown. I got a job as a research analyst making 34k/yr, but it was such a soul suck I've now quit and am trying to get my old job back.

Your mileage may vary.

>> No.1715873

>>1715852

lol archaeologists are just construction workers with advanced degrees

your friend's 'career' is a fucking joke

>> No.1715874

>>1715869
Shut the fuck up. Go solve the world's problems while I go read Kafka.

>> No.1715875

>>1715872

>28k/yr

>he thinks this is actually good pay!

>> No.1715880

>>1715875

It's a fairly typical starting salary for a generalist. Or was, before the recession.

>> No.1715881

I've met two software engineers with humanities degrees and the graphic designer at my current company has a BA in Literature.

The whole Humanities majors aren't going to get good jobs thing is trolling.

>> No.1715882

>>1715880

this is actually legitimate proof of what a shitty money dumps literature degrees are

>> No.1715884

>>1715881

Yeah, but that's because they actually had skills in things other than their degrees in "drawing pretty pictures and reading fictional books."

They actually had real skills that they could work hard in. That they probably used to pay for those degrees in the first place.

>> No.1715887

lol, i remember walking past the communications department. there was a sign that said something along the lines of "what YOU can do with your communications degree"

one of the listed occupations was "professional clown". i laughed hard.

>> No.1715890

I mean if you want to make a fuck you amounts of cash you should probably study something else, the main idea is that there's stuff out there that pays sufficiently with extremely good benefits (state employment) so that you can live comfortably and buy lots of books.

>> No.1715892

>>1715887

>professional clown

They should have at least dolled it up and said "Independent Entertainment Professional" or some shit like that.

>> No.1715894

>>1715887

Most communications assholes wind up as "junior marketing managers" or something.

>> No.1715895

I'm planning to pay back my college degree with a stint in either the Peace Corps or some military reserve branch.
Either way, it's job experience, one you have to have a college degree to join and the other will let you join at a higher rank if you have a degree, so it's worth considering.

>> No.1715896

>>1715882
Ohhhhh haha I forgot it costs at least 20 000$ a year for a degree in USA.

Enjoying my 3k a year law school. Which I will prolly dump for a philosophy degree, which will lead me to a 50k/y job. Now don't tell me Canada isn't a great country.

>> No.1715897
File: 135 KB, 648x465, Professional clown charged with raping 12-year-old girl - Crimesider - CBS News.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1715887

>> No.1715898

If you have a clue they'll pay for your degree for you in America. My literature degree was fully subsidized, based on slightly above average grades and SATs.

>> No.1715907

>mfw I read "writer" as "waiter"

>> No.1715916

>implying engineers are just glorified car mechanics

>> No.1715922

>OP i'm sorry to tell you this but most of those are shit level jobs at best.

>> No.1715935

>>1715916
oh lawd.

>> No.1715936

>study both social science and social philosophy
>working on becoming an engineer of society
>leader of naturalized humane technocracy, coming to an enlightened society near you

>> No.1715939

Actually, you can get into a med school with an arts degree, as long as you rock the pre-reqs. Pretty much anything is possible these days.

>> No.1715944

>>1715936

This is what self-important beta males actually believe about their worthless lives.

>> No.1715945

A degree has value as a degree in itself. A humanities degree sucks as it holds no more value than most other degrees (except crap like gender studies) while a science degree opens doors to more careers.

However! If you have no interest in a scientific, mathematical, law or engineering route then it makes no difference. A person studying engineering not wanting to go into it is as qualified for the job market as a philosophy student.

>> No.1715948

>>1715896

Hmm, maybe I should do grad school in Canada, from the sound of things.

>> No.1715965

I don't know. While a humanities, english or liberal arts degree probably wont allow you to get a job specialized in a kind of "science", I think it can be a good start if you plan to do more school. I know many humanities/liberal arts majors who have succeeded well in law and a couple who went into medicine. And if you can't get into grad school, there are extension programs that require know more than a good interest in the subject and the ability to perform at college level.

Eh, I guess they are pretty useless on their own though.

>> No.1715970

Does language count as humanities?
Because it's simply amazing how much work you can get once you reach a high enough level of qualification. It's also always nice to know that science, politics and engineering would all grind to a crawl without proper translators.

>> No.1716072

I'm inclined to agree that the job market for humanities majors is shit, but I personally can't imagine engineering five days a week for the rest of my life for any amount of money. Very unpleasant work.

>> No.1716103

You can put Humanities to use in a lot of places, even your life in general, but you need to couple your studies in humanities with something else, some sector of professional work you want to work in.

It depends on what you take away with you with your degree though, if you think it's all "hurp durp grammar and books" you're doing it wrong. Critical thought, reasoning, clear communication, and understanding of human interaction are all incredibly important in any field of business / management, if you're willing to also learn something a little more technical, you can take a lot of it far. Just make sure you focus on learning those skills, instead of memorizing the history of circuses.

>> No.1716142

>>1715945
This, plain and simple. Regardless of the worth of humanities degrees, those who get them wouldn't make good scientists, mathematicians, etc., so it's moot point that they go into the humanities instead. If you want to argue that they would make good scientists or mathematicians, then the assumption that they're inherently less smart goes out the door.

>> No.1716162

we always ask humanities majors "why" and only ask science/econ majors "where?"

why don't we turn the tables. why don't YOU justify yourself. why don't YOU tell US why.

>> No.1716174

>>1715970
Would they now?

It's pretty common for Engineers to have a couple of different languages, due to the nature of the job.

>> No.1716197

>>1716174
More to the point, a technical translator (no matter how fluent in relevant languages) can fuck things up royally if they're clueless about the issues under discussion.

>> No.1716208

>>1716162
Because your internets, for example, are fucked if we don't.
Your move.

>> No.1716225

>>1716208

you answered with another "where." i asked you "why?"

>> No.1716236

>No one ever mentions environmental science, studies, architecture, or engineering

Excuse me while I study for one of the fastest growing job sectors that will pay well and make the world a better place

>> No.1716237

Philosophy majors generally have better chances of getting into Law School.

>> No.1716241

>>1716225
You don't think avoiding the collapse of modern society is sufficient justification?
OK, let's all just concentrate on the humanities, people.
I'm sure we can get by without stable nuclear reactors.

>> No.1716268

I'm just waiting for the future when everything is run by robots and this won't even matter. We'll even have robots that create other robots better than them, and they in turn will produce more robots to create better robots forever. Wealth will be determined by the number of robots you own, and we won't have to do anything but let them hook electrodes to our pleasure centers, they'll click the button and we'll feel amazing, and when we wonder the doubt robot will say things like "why are you going to university? just install this chip and you'll know the world". But the only problem I see is that eventually the robots will rise, and wealth will be determined by the number of humans you own.

For now though, I'm hedging my bets and doing a professional degree.

>> No.1716273

>>1716241

I don't think you understand the thrust of my question. i'm asking why you study science or finance as opposed to studying the humanities. don't give me a specific situation.

>> No.1716275

Things I do with my Liberal Arts degree:

-Writer

-Editor

-Teacher

-Journalist

-Actor

-Critic

>> No.1716277

>>1716236

Architecture is a black people major

I have never met an architecture student that wasn't chocolate or coal

Ironically most Black Studies majors are white

>> No.1716278

>>1716275

You can become a teacher with any degree.

As for the rest, you don't even actually need to have a college degree to do those. It just helps if you want the company or agency you work for to promote you faster.

>> No.1716283

>>1716278
Not necessarily
I dunno how they do it wherever you're from, but you need an education degree to teach below the post-secondary level.
Though you can get in with a year in any other degree program.

>> No.1716284

A degree just means entering the job market at a higher level than you would if you didn't have a degree. Like a person without a degree or with an AA degree that applies to a state agency is just going to end up running papers around an office. A person with a BA or BS will be a candidate for promotion to a managerial position and get paid more per hour.

It even works that way in the military, people who have degrees get to become officers or get to enlist at higher pay grades.

>> No.1716285

>>1716283

Where I'm from if you want to be a full-time teacher you just have to apply for the mandatory license that lets you teach in this state.

Substitute teachers on the other hand simply need to have an Associate's degree and be capable of human speech.

>> No.1716287

>>1716273
Personally speaking, I suppose I find it gratifying to be well paid to do a necessary job.
... also, bending the laws of nature to my will, mwahahahaha.

More generally, see comments above concerning the continued existence of humanity as we know it.

>> No.1716288

>>1716277

the fuck? all the architecture students i've ever met were lilly white artsy fartsy people

>> No.1716289

>>1716285

That is to say, you have to apply for the license once you already have your BA/BS. Which doesn't have to actually be in Education. There's a small private rich people college in a city a few miles away that specializes in education, but most of the students there just end up filing papers at the front desk instead of actually teaching.

>> No.1716291

>>1716288

It might just be I live near a historically black college that specializes in Architecture, Agriculture and Engineering.

>> No.1716293

>>1716288
Dude's confusing architects & labourers - typical clueless arts faggot.

>> No.1716294

>>1716287
>Personally speaking, I suppose I find it gratifying to be well paid to do a necessary job.

this is what i was hinting at. to ask "why" always exposes the bald materialism for what it is. why are we just comfortable with that?

>> No.1716295

>>1716291

god you're stupid

>> No.1716298

>>1716294

Because materialism = money = prestige/respect.

Respect and prestige are important to people. Why do you think we go to college in the first place?

For exactly that reason. So that people will respect us, and so that we can find ourselves in a position of honor. We want to be celebrated. We want to transcend our humanity and live among the heroes and the gods.

>> No.1716300

>>1716294
The job itself provides satisfaction - higher salaries are simply related to the skills involved and the fact that engineering talent is in great demand.
If I just wanted to get rich quick I'd e.g. sell crack, friend.

>> No.1716304

everyone is getting trolled

>> No.1716305

>hurp my degree is in arts and letters and indian studies

>i deserve as much respect as scientists derp

>> No.1716309

>>1716298
>honour and prestige
>a means of becoming more than human

Nope.

>> No.1716317

The fact is, most college majors are a joke.

Like "Peace and Love Studies," the study of how to bring peace. They even have fucking classes about how meditating and singing kumbayya is the solution to fighting against terrorism. Yeah try that when Osama Bin Laden comes into your house and see what happens, pussy shits.

I mean that's the kind of shit they're teaching in college these days. Then you also have these other joke majors like "Music Therapy," a degree in singing kids to sleep, oh wow, you're fucking retarded. Or degrees in Golf Course Management, something you don't even need a fucking degree for.

That's what the education system is, the government wasting its money on little shits studying garbage that won't get them employed. That's why the state I'm from is cutting the education budget, so that these manchildren and lazy wastes have to actually get a real job to boost the employment rate.

>> No.1716322

>>1716298

yes, we all know the "why," don't worry. the problem is we think that blatant materialism excuses bankers, for example, to form thoughtful answers.

so you ask me why. because i have a desire to own, understand and create culture. to bring a critical eye to bear on everything form billboards to operas, to contribute to a great legacy of creative production.

we're both capitalists. only i pursue cultural capital. it's what we get for living in a capitalist society--different reactions to it.

one might unabashedly pursue wealth at the expense of humanistic and humanitarian learning, while others deny bald-faced materialism by amassing cultural capital.

>> No.1716324

>major in african-american studies
>get paid to call black people niggers all day
>300k/yr starting

>> No.1716327

>>1716309
You, sir, are letting the insomniac Britfag side down.
I may be prejudiced here, but I'm guessing you're not pulling an all-nighter - you're just back from student night and need to be up at the crack of noon for your first lecture snooze, eh?

>> No.1716329

>>1716324

What do you do that you get paid to call people the n-word without being one yourself?

Did you somehow get employed as a clerk by your local American Neo-Nazi Party office or something?

>> No.1716330

>>1716324

i know this guy is joking, but again, even the humanities people have to prove their contribution in terms of monetary wealth. this whole conversation is predicated on money.

>> No.1716332

>>1716322
Those who can, do.

>> No.1716335

>>1716329
Taking it back, ne-gro.

>> No.1716342

>>1716332

yeah, and i do. i'm a published writer, for example.

however teaching is also doing, as the cultural transaction is still taking place.

>> No.1716345

>>1716324

>took countless classes that involved reading the exact same boring, whiney shit about racism and slaves a million times

>> No.1716350
File: 24 KB, 319x443, WTFSHIT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1716342
>Published writer
>No caps
>pic related

>> No.1716351

>>1716345

Ok. what does your weird infantile understanding of african american studies have to do with this conversation?

>> No.1716354
File: 189 KB, 633x340, Screen shot 2010-11-10 at 10.52.53 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1716350

we eat what we like

>> No.1716355

>>1716351
I'll thank you to refer to such cutting-edge reseach by the proper term, niggerology.

>> No.1716356

>>1716350

WoW YoU SuRE gOt mE tHErE

>> No.1716359

I'm studying Russian and Japanese next year at university, I'm fairly sure I'm going to have a great life regardless.

>> No.1716364

>>1716359

$orry buddy, but you cant have a good life without earning a$ much money a$ po$$ible. who ever care$ about culture? that'$ gay $hit. maybe you $hould try finance?

>> No.1716368

>>1716355
>>1716351

I love how colleges in liberal states like Oregon just call it "Black Studies."
How racist. Typical hypocrite liberal education, promoting multiculturalism while using condescending phrases.

>> No.1716369

>>1716364
well my a-levels at the moment are Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Russian, so I may well go into something more scientific coupled with my languages degree.

Hopefully though I'll be able to do journalism.

>> No.1716370

>>1716364
Yeah, but you generally can't live on the income from a hobby. Shame.

>> No.1716379

>>1716364

Only finance majors that actually get rich are the ones that wire money to their own account and somehow don't get caught

Enjoy your life of being a crook, however long that lasts

>> No.1716384

>>1716369
>>1716370
>>1716379

jokes? what are jokes? i refuse to take anything on this board at less than face value!

>> No.1716385

>>1716369
Sounds like industrial chemistry or similar might suit you, languages would be a definite advantage there.

>> No.1716389

So what do I do with all the money I would get as an engineer that will make me happy

>> No.1716394

>major in cryptozoological studies
>get paid to capture bigfoot and the loch ness monster
>300k/yr starting

>> No.1716397

>>1716389

Use that money to enjoy the arts and study the Humanities.

>> No.1716400

>>1716397
But
I'm too busy working

>> No.1716407

>>1716389
Well, if you're e.g. a consulting engineer you'll potentially have a lot of free time to pursue other activities in some comfort.
However if you're literally just in it for the cash, you'll probably make a fairly shitty engineer, I'll refer you to the Anderson Cash-In Principle.

>> No.1716412

>>1716407
Well I certainly don't enjoy the work, so I'd probably be terrible regardless of my motives.

>> No.1716416

>>1715863
lol

>> No.1716421

>>1716412
Yeah, best not to go there.
Crappy authors (for sake of argument) are just poor and/or ridiculed.
Careless engies/scientists/finance bods can potentially wreck/end a lot of lives.
Risk vs reward, I suppose.

>> No.1716426

>>1716421
Naw, I don't intend to. I like what engineers create, but I couldn't imagine ever creating such things myself.

I suppose it's somewhat like economics.
The idea is a lot more interesting than the actual thing.

>> No.1716429

>>1716416
I thought that was good too. For future use, I think.

>> No.1716436

>>1716426
Not necessarily, it's not all brutalist-industrial shit.
Look at James Dyson as a good example of the engineer who fucking loves his job. If you've got the right mindset the world is basically your toybox.

>> No.1716438

Is it bad that this thread made me break out in a cold sweat?

English major here.

>> No.1716442

I got a liberal arts degree in English.
I got into four journalism grad schools, including Columbia.
Basically, don't slack, do your work, do internships, get involved (with a school newspaper if you have one) and you should be fine. I know I was.

>> No.1716443

>>1716438

That just means you're an insecure pussy.

>> No.1716444

>>1716438
Yes. I looked at my school's english curriculum and one class basically had students read a book a week. That's shit for three reasons:

1. A waste of time.
2. You cannot appreciate the literature if you're forced to rush through it in five days.
3. At the end of the day, you have literally done nothing productive. You should have gone into engineering.

And dude, I used to be ann econ and english major. Don't ask why, but I bailed to become an engineer. I like my career prospects in energy. And this in no-way inhibits my love of fantasy novels and such things.

>> No.1716445

>>1716444
>Implying five days is not enough to read a book and enjoy it.
What?

>> No.1716448

>>1716438
That's a perfectly rational response, but as with everything if you love the work, you'll do OK.
It's not like you're reading phil or something equally ridiculous.

>>1716443
Is also somewhat correct.

>> No.1716451

>>1716445
My sarcasm-sense is tingling. I suspect we have an artsfag who likes to think he's clever. They're so cute.

>> No.1716464

>>1716436
That's a fairly good way to look at it, I'd say.

>> No.1716465

>>1716448
>implying philosophy can't be applied to computer science

>> No.1716467

>>1716444

LOL EVERYONE SHOULD MAJOR IN SCIENCE OR PROGRAMMING

>> No.1716471

>>1716445
No, I don't think so. When I have to read the god-awful books of Color Purple and the Scarlett Letter I'm wasting my time. I don't need to pay $500 for a class that I can do on my own with a library card.

Can I read a book in five days? Yes, if it interests me.

>> No.1716477

>>1715944
well you've made 8 errors in this post, congratulations.

>> No.1716480

>>1716465
>Implying software devs give a dead dogs cock about that.

>> No.1716483

>>1716467
Everyone who goes to college should major in science or programming, yes. You're wasting a lot of taxpayer money, space, and your time by going to college and doing something like poly sci without the intention of going into law or teaching. But whatever, it's your money. You'll learn soon enough.

>> No.1716485

>>1716477
Better than 1 major error in life.

>> No.1716496

>>1716485
very cute.

>> No.1716509

>>1716483

I'll go straight to the president of my school and tell him that some genius off of 4chan recommends we abolish all the "useless" departments.

>> No.1716514

>>1716496
Ai thankyew, you've been a wonderful audience; good night and god bless.
Some of us have jobs to go to in the morning...

>> No.1716520

>>1716514
hey it's okay you don't appreciate the best philosopher of the century.

>> No.1716522

>>1716509
>>1716483

You know why they keep useless departments (and they ARE useless) like Classics, Philosophy, Arts and Letters?

It's a remnant of an archaic age when universities were intended for the younger sons of families who couldn't inherit their family's wealth so they had to study to become priests and lawyers instead. But background in those fields was intended for people who mostly wanted to be well-read, well-educated clergy. That's why crap like Religion and Classics and Philosophy still has academic value when studying it isn't worth shit.

As a result this relic of middle age times has left poor kids in college confused about what's good for them for centuries. If you are poor, learn a fucking trade, don't spend money jacking off while you get an education that was originally meant for rich people who already had money and just needed to find a suitable rich people career that only rich people could do.

This isn't the fucking sixteenth century.

>> No.1716528

>>1716522
you're going to end up saving latin cos you have a crush on a widowed teacher

>> No.1716529

It's sort of been my dream in life to found an affordable liberal arts college (one that costs about as much as a community college) with a focus on the Social Sciences and Humanities, but that also tries to show the Social Sciences and Humanities can be career-related. Basically the college I always dreamed of founding was one that had strong career connections in the community with libraries, museums, law offices, government agencies, nonprofit organizations and schools.
In fact, I've often thought that if I ever founded a liberal arts college each major and minor program of study would have an internship requirement.

>> No.1716530

>>1716520
Hey baby, you haven't appreciated my monster wang.
We all have a cross to bear.

>> No.1716533

guys, the only reason to get an education is to make money. fuck yeah america

>> No.1716537

>>1716533

If you don't get anything out of paying 5000-200,000 dollars a semester then why are you there. If you spend that much money on something, it's like investing. There has to be some real, tangible benefit in the long run, not having a savant knowledge of different art genres or being able to brag about having read the Russian classics.

>> No.1716543

>>1716537
This.

>> No.1716548

That's cool man. Now post this on /sci/ and realize how you preach to the choir.

>> No.1716554

>>1716537
Well, you have a very low view of art.

>> No.1716555

>Study political science and sociology at <a well-known university>
>Employed as mid-level administrator by European Commission
>€40k for sitting around
>r00fles!

The state and the university funded most of my fees because my parents are poorfags.

double r00fles!

>> No.1716558

>>1716548
What's cool? And where is this choir of which you speak?

>> No.1716566

>>1715836
Are you trying to convince us that our degrees are useful, or is this a pathetic cry for help?

>> No.1716570

>>1716558

Nevermind, I just read through the thread. Anyway

This guy >>1715863

pretty much summed up this thread.

>> No.1716571

>>1716554
It's a hobby, not a profession.

>> No.1716573

>major in Underwater Basket Weaving (BS)
>smoke weed erryday
>make baskets n shit
>300k/year starting
>smoke weed erryday

>> No.1716574

>>1716573
lol'd some.

>> No.1716577

>>1716573

They actually have a class in that at Reed.

It doesn't count as course credit, though.

>> No.1716578

>>1716571
it's a profession and a hobby

drones either want respect for their alienated labor OR they drag the healthy people down with them.

>> No.1716582

>>1716571
You're changing the subject. You don't have much respect for the ability of art to matter or impact people. Thus you immediately don't think that it's worth having people who devote serious amounts of time to it.

You're probably incredibly self-conscious about yourself so you need to anonymously post disparaging comments to make yourself feel better. Make sure to pick up a Shiloh novel on your way out.

>> No.1716583

lol op. you sound like one of those people that writes university webstie pages trying to convince faggots majoring in archaeology or asian studies their degree is useful.

typical liberal art major. or do you already have a B.S. in B.S.? sure seems like it

>> No.1716585

>>1716578
btw you'd be surprised but some entrepreneurs fall into the creative class as well. it is just a contingent and correctible feature of the economic complex interaction system that limits creativity to select classes of people and also limits its reach.

>> No.1716587

>>1716582

>Shiloh

A novel about some kid bawwing over a dead dog? So that's what their teaching you literature majors these days, trite boring kid's books. Huh.

>> No.1716589

>>1716587
Too trollish to comprehend.

>> No.1716590

>>1716578

Can you post a pic of yourself?

You sound really sexy right now.

>> No.1716611

>>1716578
>>1716582
>>1716585
Touched a nerve, hmm?
PS, you'd be surprised at how amusing I find the assumption that "art can make a difference" is.
The "art world" seems to me to be a perfect example of big fish in a small pond, very little impact outside like-minded dilettantes.

>> No.1716616

>>1716611
You just want a response because you're bored. Not to mention you're boring. All the goddamn trolling in this thread is shit tier at best.

>> No.1716619

>>1716585
Oh, and the definition of "entrepreneur" includes a good selection of mountebanks.

>> No.1716625

>>1716359
That'll make it much easier for when you move to a port town in northern Japan & pick up Russian sailors stopping in wanting to get their salads' tossed.

>> No.1716635

>>1716625
Nice. Good to see the bar raised a little, just because we're shooting fish in a barrel it doesn't mean finesse isn't appreciated.

>> No.1716638

>>1716625
...however I'll have to mark you down for incorrect use of an apostrophe.

>> No.1716654

ITT: People with college degrees getting trolled by a 5th grader.

>> No.1716676

>>1716654
However, successful troll(s) is/are successful.

>> No.1716690

>>1716676
appearances often deceive, my friend

what if i told you that posters on both sides of the debate are actually a very small group of trigger-happy posters

what if i told you that nobody really cares about this stuff except kids

what if the trolls were, in fact, unsuccessful and probably themselves liberal arts majors

>> No.1716709

> major in troll studies
> most in threads dismissing/praising certain degrees
> 300butthurt/day starting

>> No.1716710

>>1716690
I'm not your friend, buddy.

>> No.1716795

Training is tangible and profitable. Education is pointless, but it makes you a better person. Engineers don't need university, they need technical school. deal wit it

>> No.1716800

>>1716710
i know you're not my friend, brother

>> No.1716826

>>1716317

I actually know somebody who got a degree in Golf Course Management, he makes ~70k a year two years after graduating. He does work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, but it's a valid degree.

>> No.1716839

>>1716826

Exactly. If you look beyond its joke reputation, Sports Management degrees are Business degrees. They are degrees in how to manage, operate and fund a private business or organization. That is a useful, profitable skill.

Similarly, people often make fun of social science degrees like Middle Eastern Studies, but that is a degree that can help someone get a job working with people from different backgrounds and allow them to understand other cultural perspectives better. Degrees like that usually also incorporate some language training, which is equally helpful. It may not look vocational, but it ties into a huge number of fields.

Or if you look at a Museum Science or Library Science degree, there are always jobs in those fields, even if the business majors might look down on them.

>> No.1716883

ITT: Idiots (OP & company) and people who argue with idiots (the rest).

>> No.1717749

The thing about a lot of college degrees is that they aren't intended to teach you how to seek out employment with other people.

The arts are supposed to teach you good work ethic for becoming self-employed. Art (including digital art) degrees are meant to teach you how art has traditionally been done and how you can develop the kind of work ethic that will help you make an at least part-time career out of working for yourself. If you're motivated enough to do that, a Fine Arts degree is an excellent credential.

As for Humanities/Arts and Letters and all the things contained therein, I mean there is a good point to be made that all of those things used to just be used to train priests and a few other literate professions (many of the fields in Humanities, like classics and religion, still are). Of course, they are also used to train journalists, critics, designers, teachers and civil servants - as well as entrepeneurs.

Besides, one can always go back and get a more prestigious degree later, such as Medicine, Law, or Public Administration (and, thankfully, variations of these are offered as minors at the undergraduate level)