[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 428x276, hobbt.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1714300 No.1714300 [Reply] [Original]

So /lit/
I'm REALLY into the lord of the rings series - books not movies - and I hear there are theories about themes and motifs and such that compare it to the same as in the bible.
Can anyone sight these examples or offer insight on them?

>> No.1714311

Shut up and read.

>> No.1714315

Tolkien did not like it when people said that his stories were allegorical.

But sure, you can match themes up with the characters and whatnot.

But it's not really what Tolkien intended, I don't think.

>> No.1714317

he said himself they were just stories

>> No.1714320

I was given this as a gift when the movies came out:

http://www.amazon.com/Following-Gandalf-Battles-Moral-Victory/dp/1587430851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q
id=1303345546&sr=8-1

I'm not interested in it, but perhaps you will be.

>> No.1714324
File: 132 KB, 736x784, hyrax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1714315
>>1714317
> authorial intent

>> No.1714336
File: 43 KB, 1348x739, comicimade.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1714324
guys i took a shit and i think my body was just expelling waste but the homeless woman at burger king says i should dig for buried treasure who do i beleive????

>> No.1714377

http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/ OP

>>1714315
>Tolkien did not like it when people said that his stories were allegorical.
No, he's usually quoted as preferring applicability. Gandalf isn't Aslan, he isn't literally Jesus, Lembas isn't literally the body of Christ, and Frodo's vial isn't literally the light of faith in the darkness, but Tolkien is evoking similar mythic themes.

>> No.1714399

It's certainly true that Tolkien explicitly said that his work was not allegorical - but that doesn't mean that it was devoid of meaning. What he meant is that there is no one-to-one, established, intentional symbolism in his works; they're not didactic. Meaning and theme arises organically from his work. If you want to talk about the Biblical aspect of it - first off, Tolkien was a devout Catholic and that Catholicism permeated his work. It's everywhere. Secondly, the tone of his work (parts of LotR and particularly the Silmarillon) is totally scriptural and there's a lot of similarity there. Most importantly, there's a lot of themes that are fairly religious in his work - free will, sacrifice, fall, the nature of evil. The fall of Numenor, for instance, may be compared to the loss of innocence; both Sauron and Morgoth are serpent figures or Lucifer analogues to some extent. And there are messianic undertones to a lot of what is happening in LotR if you look closely.

This is a pretty big topic tbqh, does this help a lil bit

>> No.1714987

Oh wow OP are they really going to make books out of the LOTR movies? I would read the shit out of that!