[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 329x499, 51ocxwDoRjL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17133322 No.17133322 [Reply] [Original]

Hey Lit
I want to get into the Devi Mahatmya and similar texts. I heard Swami Jagadiswarananda is a great translation

Is there any other similar texts you could recommend, alongside anything you've found to be good english translations?
I'm interested in Shakti and Kali right now, and I'll be branching out from there

Thanks!

>> No.17133680
File: 22 KB, 400x464, Bhāskararāya Makhin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The 18th century Shaktist Bhāskararāya is the most important historical thinker of Shaktism, especially for the Śrī Vidyā sect which is one of the predominant forms of traditional Shaktism practiced today. He is the Śaṅkarācārya or Abhinavagupta of Shaktism. Many of his works remain untranslated, but you can find a few English translations of some of his works or partial translations of his writings contained in other books if you search around the web.

Some other good Shaktist texts aside from the Devi Mahatmya include

The larger Markandeya Purana (from which the Devi Mahatmya is extracted)
Srimad Devi Bhagavata Purana
Devi Upanishad
Kalika Purana
Manthanabharaivatantram
Tripura Rahasya
Lalitā Sahasranāma
Soundarya Lahari

>> No.17133709

>>17133680
also, you have to type it in as Manthana bharaiva tantram to see any search results for it on google even though its spelled Manthanabharaivatantram on the actual book

>> No.17133841

>>17133709
Amazing
Thank you so much

>> No.17135279

bumping because other threads are shit

>> No.17135825

>>17133680
who are you? I'm an indian hindu and I don't know shit about all this, I'd crealtinly like to know more but I would love to know your background and how and why you came about knowing this much about hinduism

>> No.17137384

>>17135825
I'm a white American in my late 20's who has just happened to take an interest in the subject since I was 18 or 19. Being raised by irreligious parents I am not a Hindu, although I am considering traveling to India to be initiated into one of the schools after the coronavirus is over, or after I finish my post-graduate education. Everything I've learned about Hinduism I've just absorbed from reading various books and academic articles in my own free time. The Bhagavad-Gita was the first Hindu text I read, by the time I had started to read through Shankara's works I realized that I loved what I was reading and that Hindu literature/philosophy would be a lifelong interest of mine.

>> No.17137412

>>17135279
ya