[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 247 KB, 720x961, 1607886503796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17125124 No.17125124[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm beginning to work hard for the first time in my life and I've been able to sort out my sleeping schedule as well as get /fit/. Only issue is that I'm a Christian and the thing motivating my is pure hatred and revenge at all the people who have wronged me. It's thinking about that time that girl said something mean to me in class that gives me the energy to carry on running that extra mile. It's the teacher that called me an idiot after asking me a question that motivates me continue studying to get this degree and it's that guy who wrote "anon is gay" at the back of the chair of maths class just to make me feel bad.

I know I can't hurt people but I think becoming successful will feel far better than punching or swearing at a person and so that is my fuel but at the same time I wanna be a devoted disciple of Christ and am wondering if this is a good christian way to motivate myself or if it can at least be allowed.

Christian answers only if you are a none Christian please fuck off your opinion is not wanted here.

>> No.17125168

>>17125124

"... and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us"
Ngmi

>> No.17125179

Spending all that time thinking about who has wronged you is gonna come out in a shifty cringe way one of these days. Read the sermon on the mount again, what does Jesus say about anger? Calling someone a fool? The path is narrow, not wide. Taking care of yourself because its wise is a lot harder than doing it for revenge, just like letting your yes mean yes is a lot harder than swearing an oath.

>> No.17125207

>>17125168
>>17125179
I guess, but I know if my enemies are successful and I'm not that's gonna hurt all the more.

>> No.17125224

>>17125207
Is your life about avoiding pain?

>> No.17125244

>>17125124
The sin of wrath has consumed your heart, anon. Learn forgiveness, learn the way of the lamb, before the gnawing demon inside you condemns you to burn in eternal sulfur.

>> No.17125246

You have the requirements to become a LARPing tradfaggot motivated by sheer inceldom

>> No.17125276

>>17125124
>christian
>incel resentment morals
Well, you are doing everything non-plebeian catholics want to overcome. If you want to be like that, you better become a jew, so every incel-like structure of mind that you have will be accepted and intensified.

>> No.17125426

>>17125224
Yes? Is that bad? Should I not avoid unnecessary pain if possible?

>> No.17125466

>>17125124
"Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls."

>> No.17125513
File: 350 KB, 1000x1000, 0342db23c9a22b102653b66f71d9bf018f95ab5950f633c91dad0af1a4146eb0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So you admit that focusing on your lack of forgivness orientates you towards material things and not Godly
I don't understand the point of contention here. You assume having a lack of forgiveness is somehow justified by how materially successful you are?

God doesn't care about your pay check, listen to Christ

>> No.17125619

>>17125513
OP here, and u think this thread has given me the right message. I'll make my motivation Christ instead of myself.

>> No.17125775

>>17125426
Life is an eternal struggle against sin. You need to learn how to live with it and remain godly at the same time.

>> No.17125800

>>17125775
Easier said than done.

>> No.17125815 [DELETED] 

>>17125124
Oh niggers
Dear little niggers
Burden of my soul
This cross defines me
Darkies: make me whole!

Let me build you a well
My stinky apes
I need your smell
Your grunting, baboon japes

Let me teach you math
One and one make three
You simian pickanins
I shovel your pens
Cholera, set me free!

>> No.17125824

>>17125815
>Christian answers only if you are a none Christian please fuck off your opinion is not wanted here.

>> No.17125830

>>17125824
I am a Christian and that's my answer to your image I don't care about your existential whinging I didn't read any posts.

>> No.17126066

>>17125426
The goal of your life is to honor God, regardless of pain

>> No.17126090

>>17125124
I'm a uu but anger isn't bad, it's a survival reaction. It's helpful in particular situations but you'll get more energy out of charity towards your enemies. It's like being the parent to your kids, it's more rewarding and challenging and less stressful.

>> No.17126143
File: 423 KB, 600x400, 1608615390638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It is the mark of a great mind to rise above insults; the most humiliating kind of revenge is to treat your adversary as not worth taking revenge upon. Many have taken slight injuries too deeply to heart in the course of punishing them. The great and noble are those who, like a lordly beast, listen unmoved to the barking of little dogs.

Seneca, On Anger 2.32.3

>> No.17126175

>>17126143
That's not Christian. We don't be charitable towards our enemies for selfish gains or selfish perspectives. Everything is created by God and helping anyone brings them as close to God as what you've imparted on them in charity.

>> No.17126277
File: 42 KB, 768x522, 1608888257088.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17126175
When someone does you wrong in some way, consider at once the understanding of good or evil that caused him to wrong you. For once you see this, you will have pity on him, and you will be neither surprised nor angry. For you yourself probably have the same understanding of the good as he does, or another of the same sort. If so, you must pardon him. And if you no longer understand the same things to be good and evil, you will more easily be gracious to one whom you know to be mistaken.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 7.26

>> No.17126292

>>17125124
The word hatred has been popularized and extended to lots of things that are not really hatred.

In your case, idk how deep it is and if you'd be unwilling to pardon them if they asked for your pardon, but you can still want to better yourself out of these things. Just thank God for any amelioration, be it the result of your efforts : for God does all good, through second causes too.
It is sane to strive for being better, but to me, it is not by putting yourself that you'll do that in a christian way. Take these persons and events as a fuel but no as the only one. Do it for the glory of God, and learn humility. Our Lord God, full of glory, did suffer insults calmly.

The litanies of humility could be an interesting weekly meditation/devotion.

>> No.17126300

>>17126143

This only applies to men who actually have high status and are well regarded by their own society. LARPing as a nobleman is not alone sufficient, a major reason why Rome became decadent is bound up in this same confusion, where the signal replaces the signifier. Noble behavior is useful for or representative of men of noble status. Otherwise it is insignificant. Always trying to be the better man with dealing with normies is a major pitfall you can fall into, since if you were the better man you would already be regarded as such or in the process of acquiring such regard

>> No.17126313

>>17126292
>by putting yourself
At the center*

>> No.17126322

>>17126277
I see why Christianity took over Rome

>> No.17126327

>>17125124
Being Christian would mean wishing that the people who have wronged you are also doing well and becoming successful. Listen, I get it. When I was in high school/the first year of college I genuinely did not care about school and was lazy. I got close to this girl who made fun of me for not having read classic novels and eventually told me to kill myself because I was never going to become more than a poor community college student anyways. I started trying hard in school because I wanted to prove her wrong and achieved a 4.0 gpa for the first time in my life. Eventually I started doing well just because I felt like I owed it to myself to do better. In the end, the people who have wronged you genuinely don't care if you're doing well. You have to care about your wellbeing for yourself, without using the actions and words of others to prop yourself up; because that's just building a house on a pile of sand.

>> No.17126345

This is a form of asceticism. You’re transmuting your negative emotions, which are to some degree natural, into something higher and more becoming of a Christian man. There are multiple verses which say something specifically to the effect of “Be angry, but do not sin”.

It’s not a matter of simply not feeling the weight of your cross, but rather feeling it’s immense weight and standing up straight anyway.

>> No.17126364
File: 36 KB, 594x594, pepe tuxedo sticky highlighted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17125815
based

>> No.17126371

>>17126345
People forget that even Jesus became very angry at times. The man flipped over a table in the temple. I'm not a very big fan of stoicism because I think that repressing your emotions is not a very good way to live a life. It's denying the very human experience of emotion and feeling

>> No.17126398

>>17126371
Stoicism doesn’t necessarily advocate for repressing your emotions, I think but I see your point and I agree.

>> No.17126407

>>17126322
The early Christian apologist, Justin Martyr, includes within his First Apology (written between 140 and 150 A.D.) a letter from Marcus Aurelius to the Roman senate (prior to his reign) describing a battlefield incident in which Marcus believed Christian prayer had saved his army from thirst when "water poured from heaven," after which, "immediately we recognized the presence of God." Marcus goes on to request the senate desist from earlier courses of Christian persecution by Rome.[302]

>> No.17126418

>>17126371
Stoicism is not emotional repression. When will the misinformation cease on this?

>> No.17126435

>>17126371
If need be, reason silently, quietly wipes out whole families root and branch, and households that are a plague on the state it destroys along with wives and children; it tears down their very houses, levelling them to the ground, and exterminates the names of the enemies of liberty. All this it will do, but with no gnashing of the teeth, no violent shaking of the head, nothing that would be unseemly for a judge, whose countenance should at no time be more calm and unmoved than when delivering a weighty sentence.

Seneca, On Anger 1.19.2

>> No.17126502
File: 411 KB, 800x1770, Bartolomeo_Montagna_-_Saint_Paul_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17125124
Psalm 37
>A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
>For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
>Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
>Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
>Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
>And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
>Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
>Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
>For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
>For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
>But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
>The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
>The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
>The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
>Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
>A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.
>For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
>The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.
>They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
>But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
>The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.
>For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
>The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
>Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
>I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
>He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.
>Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.
>For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
>The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.
>The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.
>The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

>> No.17126532

>>17126407
I'm just saying there's no fundamental reason in stoicism to be stoic except in how it may help you. The issue is there will come a time when not being stoic isn't as helpful. Christianity solves this dilemma by explaining objective truth through God's creation, i.e. you can be hurt through doctrine but that's not ultimately why you're following it (or acting in general even outside Christianity).
I don't dislike stoicism but it lacks what Christianity provides.

>> No.17126675

>>17126532
>Christianity solves this dilemma by explaining objective truth through God's creation
kek