[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 159 KB, 677x407, TheDarkTower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1710894 No.1710894 [Reply] [Original]

I find Stephen King's works to be exemplary works of literature. What do you think, /lit/?
Stephen King general/ways his books are related to one another and The Dark Tower series.

>> No.1710899

p.s. Just finished The Stand and loved every second second of it. m-o-o-n, that spells stand.

>> No.1710901

DOES "IT" RELATE TO "THE DARK TOWER SERIES"?

IF SO, HOW?

I DO NOT LIKE HIS WORKS, THOUGH.

>> No.1710906

>>1710901
Yes, it does. Incredibly, actually. It was created by "the Turtle", a sort of demi-god in The Dark Tower world.
Also, why not?

>> No.1710914
File: 47 KB, 376x490, FUCKING, UGLY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1710906

I FIND THEM LIKE SHALLOW AND ORDINARY; POPCORN FOR THE MINDS OF THE MASSES THAT SHOP AT WALMART SO THEY CAN FEEL INTELLECTUAL.

>> No.1710918

Why are you all caps?

>> No.1710920

>>1710918
that's his 'gimmick' for whatever reason

his other gimmick is making bad posts

burn

>> No.1710921

>>1710918

BECAUSE I LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS, I ACTUALLY DISLIKE LOWER CASE LETTERS. IT IS NOT A GIMMICK.

>> No.1710924

I think he's an all around great writer. He can work as entry level, yet has staying power. I'll always thank him for making my interest in literature advance more rapidly than it otherwise wouldn't have.

>> No.1710931

>>1710894
I JUST finished book 1 tonight. I have the second one right next to me and I'm going to start it really soon. I'm loving the Dark Tower series. I've been reading the graphic novels as well. What were your favorite moments of book one OP?

>> No.1710942

>>1710931
Dont! For the love of all that is sacred, DON'T keep reading!

The Dark Tower is a stand alone book and the story ends where the book ends, that's it nothing more.

Keep reading the rest of the series at your own peril. Book two is the worst by far.

Skip if you dont want spoilers

Book 1 is pretty much like this: "okay let's create this awesome world that seems to be kind of a fucked up future version of our world but for some reason, it has "moved on"

Book 2 is like: "hey guise remember that awesome world I created in book 1? Well forget about it, THE WHOLE FUCKING SECOND BOOK HAPPENS IN NEW YORK. NEW FUCKING YORK.

The only worthwhile book in the "extended story" is wizard and glass. Don't even remind me of "song of susanah" you could probably skip it and still the story would be the same. And the ending of the series? Jesus, fuck what a clusterfuck of plotholes, unanswered questions and easy exits.

>> No.1710939

>>1710931
Not OP but I always liked the second & third books the most. FUCKING GOD TIER, I CAME, etc. Be prepared for a slight downturn in quality around the fourth book and a whooper of a shit-tier ending, but other then that the series is still amazing.

>> No.1710943

My favorite moment was realizing what kind of character Roland is and how important the Dark Tower means to him as he lets Jake dangle seconds before making his final decision.

>> No.1710954

He's actually Blaine the Mono, posting here on 4chan.

And I agree some of King's books seem shallow and rushed out like dreamcatcher, but others like The Stand and the Dark Tower series are incredibly deep. Check out Salem's Lot or The Talisman if you can't handle a book more than 400 pages.

>> No.1710967

Everyone who bitches about the Dark Tower's ending/epilouge has forgotten the face of their father.

Honestly, it COULD. NOT. Have ended any other way. And if you re-read The Gunslinger after finishing the series, you see it referenced everywhere.

Spoilers!
And by "ending" I mean that this is something Roland is stuck in endlessly; and that the journey is more important than the climax; not the hackneyed dues-ex-machina ordeal with the Crimson King, which even I, and admitted fanboy of the work, will admit was cheap as shit.

>> No.1711097

Finished Wolves of the Calla yesterday and starting Song of Susannah now :)

Cya, thread

>> No.1711101

I CONSIDER THE TERM 'WORK OF LITERATURE' AN INSULT WITH ITS ONLY REDEEMING FEATURE BEING THE GRANTING OF THOSE WHO READ IT A TUBE GOING DIRECTLY FROM THEIR NOSE TO THEIR ASSES SO THEY CAN SMELL THEIR OWN FARTS ALL THE EASIER.

Stephen King is not literature, and be glad for it. Utter wankery, literature is.

>> No.1711121

>>1710942
OPINIONS

>> No.1711145

>>1710967

It was a shit ending and you know it.
Even if King had to write that Roland's story forever continued, he could have done it a lot better.
Example: Roland gets into the tower, and is shown that there is an infinite number of worlds / universes in which he is journeying / has journeyed to the tower. He has known this all along [which is why he is on this quest], but the tower allows him to comprehend it completely. His mind is blown and he dies.
That ending is a tenfold better than the ending given by King, and stays true to the first book, in which Roland has a mind fuck after seeing the universe in all it is.

>> No.1711158

My Grandma keeps trying to lend me Under the Dome, is it worth reading?

>> No.1711165

>>1711158
it's typical King. alot of time building up a story, then it sort of finishes in a hurry.