[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 335x500, east of eden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1710880 No.1710880 [Reply] [Original]

Your favorite piece of classical literature, be it poetry or prose, and why.

Say what you will, my favorite book is East of Eden. I loved the way Steinbeck portrayed Cathy, and the valuable commentary her character provided in respect to sanity and societal identity. I liked her because of how incredulous she seemed toward Adam all through the novel, and then when her actions are brought to light, the realization has a scathing impact on the reader.
It's almost like you can relate to her, despite how psychotic she is. And I really, really enjoyed that sensation.

>> No.1710990

Haven't read, but love me some Steinbeck. Cannery Row AWWWWW YEAHHHH

>> No.1710996

>>1710880
It was an alright book. Favorite character was the Asian caretaker (can't remember names.) Was sad when Samuel Hamilton died, although it was due. Steinbeck is a master at evincing emotion IMO.

>> No.1711008

I loved East of Eden as well but then tried Grapes of Wrath and couldn't get through it. I know, I know.

>> No.1711046

A retelling of Genesis of the bible.
The bible is popular, thus so is this.

Also, basically the only book I had to read for high school that I really liked. Most were only decent at best, and most others I disliked.

>> No.1711061

This is a truly great piece of American art.

>> No.1711063

East of Eden was decadent. I much prefer of Mice and Men.

>> No.1711107

>>1711046

No, it was popular because it's a good fucking book.

>> No.1711112

I'm pretty sure most people consider much of Thomas Pynchon's early work part of the classics of American literature, so V.

>> No.1711115

WILL BE READING THE GRAPES OF WRATH IN THE NEAR FUTURE? SHOULD I BE EXCITED?

>> No.1711116

>>1711115
If you can get excited about reading a Steinbeck novel.

>> No.1711120

>>1711046
Reality check: Most, if not all classical literature is "popular".

>> No.1711125

>>1710996
Ah yeah I LOVED him too. And Samuel Hamilton even more. I've read quite a bit of classical literature but never have I been so enchanted by fictitious characters. East of Eden is also one of the few I didn't have to read for school, which is probably part of the reason I enjoyed it so much.

>> No.1711130

>>1711116
I'LL TAKE THAT AS A LOVELY YES

>> No.1711178

>post Steinbeck novel
>everyone misses the thread's point
Wow, I didn't know Steinbeck had that effect.

>> No.1711267

>>1711115
i'm almost done reading the grapes of wrath for the first time. we never read any steinbeck in high school and i never had to take him in uni, so steinbeck was always my weakest point in american lit. but no longer. next, i'm tackling east of eden, maybe. anyways, grapes of wrath is good, but maybe a bit too folksy for my tastes

also, op posted "classical" literature but this refers to hellenistic or latin or ancient literature. i assume he meant "classic" literature. but if you want my favourite classical literature, i'd have to go with Adelphoe by Terence, which is a pretty funny comedy that uses jokes and tropes that we still use today. The fact that a play from 100 BC can make me laugh still means it's comedy gold!

>> No.1711273
File: 27 KB, 297x475, EpicOfGilgamesh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Haven't read this? Then you don't know SHIT about literature. Not even trolling.

>> No.1711281

>classical literature
>classical
>steinbeck