[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 465x600, socrates is a baller (traditional definition).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1705815 No.1705815 [Reply] [Original]

This is the most appropriate place for this.

How do you get to know yourself?
And perhaps something more pertinent to the board, how do you feel about Socrates' quotes about knowledge?
>As for me, all I know is that I know nothing
>When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

>> No.1705841

All that can be known IS the self. You cannot into philosophy

>> No.1705842

>>1705841
And you can know you know. And know you know you know. And...

>> No.1705848

Know thyself? If I knew myself, I'd run away.

>> No.1705860

A) You know yourself when you say "I know myself" in your head, and believe it to be true. You can't, however, really ever know if you should believe this, or that even if you do in total conviction, if you are right. So, I suppose it ends when you're okay with that lack of true knowledge, and say "I know myself" anyway.

B) Alternatively, you can know yourself by turning your brain outward, away from your flawed and biased perceptions, and look to others and let their views of yourself shape you, using many viewpoints as a better tool than your sole own.

C) Alternatively, you can view yourself as non-static, always changing, always surprising yourself (and others), and be okay with yourself as a liquidy mess you can't ever truly grip.

Pick.

>> No.1707348
File: 183 KB, 1000x801, 1301796535028.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

While I don't agree with any theological views that H.W. Percival tosses in the mix, I do find his take on "being" a very interesting point of view to know yourself by. Like most philosophy, you can take some and leave some of what he writes but, as I said before, he offers an interesting point of view by which to know yourself.

You can get a free .pdf copy of his Thinking and Destiny at this website. Toss it on your eReader and give it a shot. It's modern as well which, in my eyes, makes it slightly more pertinent than taking Socrates literally.

http://www.thewordfoundation.org/b-Thinking_and_Destiny.htm

Here are some reviews to look at if you need some more convincing:
http://www.thewordfoundation.org/a-reviews.htm

>> No.1707352
File: 29 KB, 304x400, marines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

join the marines

>> No.1707367

>>1705815
He didn't LITERALLY feel like he knew nothing. He was just asserting that he didn't know everything about the world, like some people claimed to.

>> No.1708295

self reflection, over time...alot of time

>> No.1708304

Intense Zen meditation practice. Living in complete silence in the wilderness for weeks.

>> No.1708317

i am perfectly zen in the midst of a storm. i have no idea how you can find enlightenment on the top of of a naked rock.