[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 561 KB, 2926x1024, 09b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17035041 No.17035041 [Reply] [Original]

I noticed that as I was reading and writing more my mind shifted markedly from pictorial and visual mode of thought towards verbal mode of thought. I used to be a STEMfag before I picked up literature as a hobby therefore I am well aware that cerebration is more optimal for parsing and systematizing considerable amounts of data but is it possible to write good literature with cerebration? How would cerebral literature even look like? I'm asking because I don't want to be stuck with this inferior verbal way of thinking.

>> No.17035218

What are you reading? Start reading philosophy and actually think about what's being said in the books.
Verbal thinking is not inferior, it's just more suited to other uses than "parsing and systematizing considerable amounts of data", like expressing thoughts to others and further clarifying them

>> No.17035225

>>17035041
>How would cerebral literature even look like?
read philosophy

>> No.17035850

>>17035041
That verbal way of thinking is vastly superior. You should consider yourself blessed. Read Neil Postman's work on the typographic mind. There's a chapter on it in Amusing Ourselves to Death.

>> No.17035859

Unironically verbal mode is better.
People who can't explain the concept they think they understand in words, don't really understand it.

>> No.17035983

>>17035859
Intelligent people are excellent at translating their abstract nonverbal thoughts into precise language relatively quickly, but only when they need to express something. My internal monologue is fairly quiet because most of my thoughts don't need to be translated into words for communication.

>> No.17037512

>>17035041
Ive noticed for myself i often do both, hearing the inner voice sort of 'recite' the poetry or text while i imagine how the setting and people look like.
With wordplay or proze heavy stuff the verbal way takes the upper hand. The visual element is most strongly present in most poetry, specificaly imagist stuff, but any literature that actually has rich descriptions of the settings should do this as well.
one i can personally recommend is 100 years of solitude. it has many beautiful and unique visual 'scenes': seas of yellow petals, alchemical labs, ascensions, blood flowing uphill, etc.

>> No.17037566

>>17035983
>>17035859
Same, I don't think in words so I guess it's default mode is "quiet" but I can start thinking in words if needed be. I wonder if we don't think in words because we think too fast? I feel like my mind is racing all the time, despite being "quiet", and that in words this probably wouldn't happen.
However, I feel that this translation takes more effort than it should.

>> No.17038990

>>17035041
A thought is only clear once you articulate it

>> No.17039025

>>17038990
No. What you call articulation is simplification. You reduce something complex into something easier to describe, and it is that easier, simpler thing that is clear, not the original thought behind it.