[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 81 KB, 900x750, C7A642E5-9E57-4FEE-A91A-5C926E4C5038.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17025887 No.17025887 [Reply] [Original]

where should I start? Secondary lit? Earlier thinkers? Being and Time filtered me two years ago and I want to try again.

>> No.17025898

>>17025887
For his own works, start with What is Philosophy?

But as for secondary or before-reading, he's very much exit-tier so save him for a while later if you haven't read the Greeks and Germans and aren't just generally very well educated.

>> No.17025918

>>17025898
I was a philosophy major in undergrad so I’ve read a lot of the above, though not with any incredible depth (except Plato and Aristotle). Should I still save him?

>> No.17026154

>>17025887
Don't waste your time reading him. Or maybe you want an example of what not to do in philosophy. In that case read him and rephrase in your words the statements he makes; to study the content of his writings more easily.

>> No.17026862

>>17025918
Yeah probs, I mean definitely familiarise yourself with him and read some of his works, as I said What is Philosophy? but reading the opening section to Being and Time could also be helpful, but save tackling his whole philosophy for when you've studied at least Kant (since you've already done so with Kant and Aristotle) and are familiar with all of his influences and the history of Western phil, art and pretty much history itself; and then contrasted with the East at least a tad.

Just some advice, at the end of the day it's your choice and there is always something fun and utterly combustible in a very joyful way when getting into something you're utterly unprepared for.. they do call him the final boss you know.

>> No.17026912

>>17026154
Moron

>> No.17027030

>>17026912
Nice argument. Now, tell us why is it important to read that charlatan?

>> No.17027054

>>17027030
He's one of the most influential philosophers of the 20th century, why would it not be important to read him if you wanted to consider yourself well-read in modern phil? No idea why he's a charlatan either, please enlighten me.

>> No.17027260

>>17027054
Influential to what? To development? To politics? To science? To art? Maybe in the last field he actually influenced the deterioration of it. His ideas are about saying nothing, about glorifying nothingness. He plays with words to sound intelligent, avoids clarity in language to confound on purpose. He says nonsense or empty words like: "nothingness is the negation of all the existing."

He is literally the Lord of Cringe. But very useful to totalitaristic goverments, far-left goverments love to have their academicians worship their works. It makes citizens docile to the rethoric they manage to control people, that rethoric that goes against reason and contradicts empirical facts.

>> No.17027303

>>17027054
Just citing "influence" as reason for reading a philosopher is absurd. Yeah, hacks like Sam Harris and Steven Pinker are pretty "influential" but it doesn't mean I would want to waste my time reading them.

>> No.17027312

All you need to read is Adorno’s Jargon of Authenticity. After digesting his critique of Sein und Zeit you’ll lose any desire to dabble with this hack.

>> No.17027333

>>17027260
Not the anon you're replying to but all of the supposed "vagueness" of Heidegger is pretty well explained in his philosophy, and I get the feeling you haven't read much of him.

>>17027303
Also not the anon you're replying to, but there's a major difference between the all time greats (who are at least considered that and with good reason) being influential, and second-rate pop philosophers. But I don't know many people who would call Sam Harris "influential", and if he is, we are speaking of different continuums of influence in which Heidegger and Harris act upon.

>> No.17027334

>>17025887
Every English translation of Being and Time is awful, read it in any other language you know

>> No.17027394

>>17027333
>the all time greats
Nobody thinks this about Heidegger btw. Outside of the small circle jerk of continental philosophy, every serious philosopher I've met were dismissive of him. And rightly so.

>> No.17027711

>>17027303
Lmao you’re an actual retard

>> No.17027718

>>17027260
>far-left goverments
Dude was literally a Nazi party member lol

>> No.17027744

>>17027394
Oh shut up, the only people who can't appreciate Heidegger even if they fundamentally disagree with him are stupid Anglo's that can't read German and have never tried to understand his philosophy.

I mean, do you really think Gadamer is a useless circle jerk?

>> No.17027779

>>17027394
I highly doubt you’ve met any serious philosophers, considering you still get dropped off at daycare every morning.

>> No.17028087

>>17027333
Ok, then please explain us what are his so important teachings, tell us how has it helped you to understand reality? What are the theories he develops? What are the facts he relies on to support those theories?

>>17027744
The contributions of continental philosophy are in pseudoscience, in radical feminism, in justifying that trash is also beautiful art, in building stereotypes to encourage discrimination, and to foster idealistic views that totalitarian goverments lean on. More than useless it is detrimental to humanity.

>>17027718
Yes, totalitarian goverments like the Nazi regime and modern far-left and far-right goverments which are anti-democratic.

>> No.17028112

>>17028087
Post face.

>> No.17028130

>>17025887
I would try lectures he gave before he wrote Sein und Zeit, during the Marburg-Freiburg years in the 20s. Stuff like the Prolegomena to the history of the concept of time, Ontology:hermeneutics of facticity, Logic: the question of truth... after these Sein und Zeit becomes much much clearer and you will see how it is not just the mindless jargon everyone accuses it of
Obviously try some secondary literature, especially something that explains his relationship to Husserl, Dilthey and Aristotle, as well as his brand od phenomenology and how it differs from Husserl's

>> No.17028132

>>17027718
He means extremely centralized governments obviously. Stop being pedantic.

>> No.17028140

>>17028132
The dude is some kind of analytic autist, I think he can take the scrutiny.

>> No.17028141

>>17028087
>please explain this mans entire philosophy to me
Oh please, it shows you have nothing to critique other than the idea of "obfuscatory" itself.

Also calm the fuck down you edgelord. You're the retard that compared Harris with Heidegger in the first place, don't be surprised when someone points out how utterly stupid that is and their being on totally different levels.

>do you have any facts for that?
My gosh you're worse than I thought. Yeah okay live your life with analytical facts as the basic to every thought and feeling, good luck with that.

Cringe materialist.

>> No.17028145

>>17028087
>The contributions of continental philosophy are in pseudoscience, in radical feminism, in justifying that trash is also beautiful art, in building stereotypes to encourage discrimination, and to foster idealistic views that totalitarian goverments lean on
Wtf I love Continental philosophy now

>> No.17028183

>>17028087
>The contributions of continental philosophy are in pseudoscience, in radical feminism, in justifying that trash is also beautiful art, in building stereotypes to encourage discrimination, and to foster idealistic views that totalitarian goverments lean on. More than useless it is detrimental to humanity.
You're a fucken retard, that's all I can say to you. You have the knowledge equivalent of a /pol/tard's buzzwords for Continental philosophy and have no desire to understood or see the genuine differences in.

Yep anon, nothing important happened in Europe philosophically in the 20th century, just ignore the entire continent, only listen to faggot liberal Anglos, that's the way to go. This distinction between "Continental" and "Analytic" was self-imposed by Analytic smoothbrains.

Also officially Continental includes European philosophy at the start of the 18th century, with people like Hegel through to the Existentialists and so on.

>> No.17028203
File: 18 KB, 400x499, Husserl_8897.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17025887

Start with Husserl, and never move on to Heiddi.

>> No.17028244

>>17028203
He's the archetypally good jew in my mind.

>> No.17028483

>>17028141
I mean, you could tell us about just a single idea he had. Also, how can you be sure of a theory without simple explanations that relate to reality. For example, Leibniz could point to little facts to justify his theories about God.

>>17028183
Literature does not own me, like it is in your case. Of course following dogmas is very easy, studying only authors is easier. Being and Time. Physics can tell you way more about Time. Psychology could tell you a lot more about the sense of Being. Sadly modern physics was contaminated by the Copenhagen interpretation and modern psychology for some time by psychoanalysis. Hmm I wonder what kinds of philosophy were responsible for that contamination?

You see, posturing exists in both "Continental" and "Analytic" philosophy. But thankfully philosophy is not just those two. Philosophy can't be just for the sake of it, it is absurb. It needs to provide fruits and to shed light in human terms.