[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 109 KB, 600x540, dissociate1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17019581 No.17019581 [Reply] [Original]

How do I learn to read again?

I used to be able to concentrate just fine on reading and retain the information, but ever since I learned what a computer was, I can't do that anymore. I don't need fucking drugs, I used to be able to do it, I don't believe in fixed mindsets. Have any of you autistic fucks had this problem? If so, what did you do?

>> No.17019616

Long de-training and re-training. Get away from the thing you crave and anything else that offers similar instant stimulation. Practice mindfulness of the cravings and of your will to resist them.

Don't measure success by waiting until the end of the day and tallying up how many times you broke down and turned your phone back on. That treats you as a passive object, as if your mind and your lived experience are two separate things, and you can only graph the physical data of your lived experience after the fact. Measure success by how aware you are of the actual, first-person feeling of sitting there, having a craving to stop reading the current paragraph or page, and continuing to sit there and read it anyway.

You need to get back in touch with that feeling and build it back up within you. Self-control isn't an either/or thing, it's something that has to organically grow, consciously at first, and then unconsciously as it becomes part of the background structure of your mental focus, rather than the central object of it.

>> No.17019659

Just focus on remaining engaged for a page at a time. Read a paragraph from start to finish making sure your attention retains on it. Practice doing this and increasing the length until eventually you can read for long periods.