[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 68 KB, 512x341, comf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17011735 No.17011735 [Reply] [Original]

the weather outside is cold and dreary, why don't you cozy on up to the fireplace with a hot drink and share your thoughts?

> what are you reading?
> what's been on your mind?
> how do you take your hot chocolate (or favorite hot drink)?
> favorite winter activity?
Oh yeah, and some appropriate comfy music for this weather:
https://youtu.be/Kn4Y3sHyfsg

>> No.17011759
File: 92 KB, 728x934, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, I guess I'll ask here rather than killing a thread for my dumb question. Christmas vacation is coming up and I think I'll try getting into reading. Any potential issues with the books in pic related being censored or changed to reflect the NWO or should I be safe in experiencing them as the authors intended?

>> No.17011769

>>17011735
>reading
Helen by Euripide
>on my mind
How I switched all the n and N in my last maths exam. I was right the first time, but I doubted myself so I switched them all up and all my answers were wrong because of that.
>favorite hot drink
black coffee or hot gin with honey
>favorite winter activity
walking

>> No.17011800

>>17011759
Can't speak for any but the first two on your list here, but no, I don't think they would be changed in content or be censored really. 1984 might have some sort of an intro or foreward that's got some commentary on the rise of authoritarianism in the last few decades but that'd probably be it. Catcher in the Rye is very much a classic that really resonates with you when you're a teenager then rereading it later on you empathize a lot less with the main character, both pretty great books though.

>> No.17011828

>>17011769
>I was right the first time, but I doubted myself so I switched them all up and all my answers were wrong because of that.
been there too many times before. it'll be alright in the end though, you can probably get some partial credit at the least.

>> No.17011864

>>17011759
thats a perfectly acceptable starter pack. enjoy the reads anon.

>> No.17011895
File: 2.46 MB, 3120x4160, IMG_20201212_220832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17011735
>>17011735
>readin
Journey to the End of the Night and Durant's The Story of Philosophy
>on my mind
that I've only got another week and a bit of guaranteed work left, then I've got no idea what I'm going to be doing next year. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll get offered an extension of some sort, idk probably not though. Also thinking about how much of a massive fraud I am because there was this fella at work who had a t-shirt of a band that I know, and all day I was geeing myself up to go and talk to him about it, but only ended up saying alright to him in the morning and that was it. And that today is finally the day I give up trying to correct a fellow Pole that I work with about my name, for the next week and a half I'll just have to be ready to be called Lucjan by one person.
>drink
coffee
convincing myself that I really do like winter more than summer because that's one of the main things I think of every summer, although this year, now that I've been having to go out at six in the morning almost every day for work, on my granddad's thirty year old bicycle, in the pitch black and freezing wind I'm not so sure anymore.

>> No.17011897

>>17011735
Based vince gaurdi poster

>> No.17011903

>>17011759
Id rec the lattimore, more poetic but fagles is valid ig

>> No.17011934

>>17011897
thank you anon, I love Vince's work, he's probably been one of the biggest influences on my own jazz piano playing.

>> No.17012152

>>17011934
Based. More of an evans man myself but i only play classical piano

>> No.17012174

>>17012152
I do admire Evan's playing style and just seamless flow at playing quite a bit. Just wish I had the time to get to that level haha

>> No.17012210

>what are you reading
The Bible. Waiting for finals to be over before starting anything new, but planning on reading All Quiet on the Western Front and Stormlight Archive
>what's on your mind
I've been thinking lately about the distinction between artistic literature and books created purely for entertainment. I think it's interesting how for something like music or film, people who are into the artsy obscure stuff like Aeroplane over the Sea usually can't stand top 40 pop and rap music, but when it comes to books, you find a lot of people who love classics but also appreciate fantasy or sci-fi books for simple entertainment.
>how do you take your hot chocolate
No marshmallows, just regular hot chocolate. I like it with a little less chocolate than most others seem to use.
I often spend a lot more time reading and just thinking about stuff in the winter, for obvious reasons. I like taking a couple weeks to be alone with my thoughts in the winter.

>> No.17013617

Debating between starting The Trial and The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Thoughts?

>> No.17013661
File: 329 KB, 1082x695, 1606889539090.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17011735
>reading
Still reading Elizabeth I's biography. I think the whole idea of courtly love is bizarre. The guy fawns over a girl--praising her, writing her love letters, and prostrating himself before her, meanwhile she endlessly denies his advances. It's all foreplay but no sex. The queen would do this with many of the men in her court. If the courtship led to sex or marriage then I could understand it, but this bitch Elizabeth just cock teases everyone.
>on your mind
2020 has felt like a complete waste of a year. I have done nothing productive with my life. I am in the exact same spot as I was 365 days ago, save for a few dissolved friendships. I guess many people are feeling this way so I shouldn't bitch too much.
>how do you take your hot chocolate
Way too early, and with tons of marshmallows. The first second or two of gooey marshmallows is delicious, and is quickly followed by scalding hot lava that burns my tongue and makes eating unpleasant for the next 24 hours.
Tobogganing when I was a kid--now I like to read while snow falls outside my window.

>> No.17013674

>>17011735
nice. vince is my favorite. yknow, i haven't listened to much music lately. i dont know why that is. ill put charlie brown christmas. thanks anon.

>> No.17013763

>>17011735
>reading
I've been reading a lot of poetry recently, Tennyson, Wordsworth, and Thomas. And the Bible as always.
>on my mind
I've started to write poetry everyday, it's very therapeutic, comfy and I enjoy doing it.

There's a girl who I've been friends with for a few years who works at a local store. We haven't been in touch much in the past year, and I've always liked her, I suspect she liked me too (and it's more than just a suspicion, I know for certain she was into me at one point). I'm thinking of 'seizing the day' and going over to that store and just asking her out on a date. Maybe dinner or iceskating. The worse that can happen is she says no.
>how I take my hot chocolate
With a big ol' dollop of whip cream (though I'm not much of a hot drink drinker to begin with, but nothing beats that)
Downhill skiing

>>17011934
>>17012152
Voccaroo us some of your piano skills frens

>>17013661
>have done nothing productive with my life
Don't worry too much about it fren, a lot of us are in the same boat. Why not take quarantine as an opportunity to pick up some new skills that are otherwise unavailable to you? I started teaching myself piano and I built a canoe. It's helped keep the boredom at bay if nothing else.

>> No.17014074
File: 93 KB, 650x400, The-baganda-people.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17011735
>reading
I should be starting "The Oral Tradition of the Baganda of Uganda" tomorrow, hopefully
>on my mind
not much, stuff just kind of flows through all the same; in one side and out the other
>how do you take your hot chocolate?
with one coffee pod (any kind, i'm not picky), two packets of chocolate powder, about 1/5 cup of milk, enough water to fill the flask and 5-8 packets (or about 5 tablespoons) of sugar i can actually fall asleep in the middle of or shortly after drinking this; it's odd
>favorite hot drink
raspberry-lemon tea w/ some cinnamon
sitting inside in the dark hours of the midday drinking tea, lurking here and staying warm

>> No.17014260

>>17013763
I'd voocaroo you my piano but I just tried recording it and it does not sound good in terms of audio quality, sorry fren :(

>> No.17014272
File: 226 KB, 1280x1716, 8C8FAC8D-37AA-4B91-848C-104EB29CB1C7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17012174
>>17012152
Bratyas

>> No.17014380

>>17013763
>>17014260
Here you go fren, I was able to record on my phone
https://voca.ro/1o0S5kNyLo5G

>> No.17014515

>>17013617
ok I'm 1/3 of the way through The Trial. It's good. I like it

>> No.17015197

>>17011735
Either something I haven't read yet, preferably fantasy or fiction. Or something funny I have read, maybe a HS Thompson short story like Fear and Loathing in Elko or something similar, I can't think of anything comfier.
Not much, just ready to relax and wind down with a good book & a good, stiff drink.
Something different, hot apple cider w/ calvados or a nice brandy.
A nice walk to a cafe or restaurant.

>> No.17015379

>>17011735
>reading
Dubliners and Orwell's essays. Love them both, very comfy.
>on my mind
wondering if I'll see my friends before the new year considering 2 of my closest friends are moving away
>favourite hot drink
not a fan of hot drinks unless it's my nan's hot chocolate. Hopefully I'll be able to see her at Christmas
>favourite winter activity
just watching the weather and having an excuse to be stupidly jolly